Pregnancy Friendly Skin Care Products

Pregnancy skin care is not easy, especially once you throw in the issues caused by hormonal flucuations and the need to avoid certain skincare ingredients during pregnancy. I’ve looked at a ton of skin care product ingredients list to find these pregnancy friendly skin care products!

Pregnancy Friendly Skin Care Products

There are also a lot of great products that are pregnancy friendly, but not necessarily from a full pregnancy skin care line. While it would be great to be able to use an entire line of special pregnancy skin care, most of us don’t have that luxury. Rather than special ordering an entire line of organic skin care made in France, we’re in the aisle at our local big box store, reading labels we don’t understand.

There are a lot of really great skin care lines in those big box stores, and many of their products are pregnancy friendly! Read on to see which (exact) products you can pick up and use without worry while you are pregnant. You can also see a list of product suggestions including some products I used while pregnant.

Note that I’ll be adding to this list as time goes on, for the brands that are listed I have gone through the entire line’s products, reading those long and tedious ingredient lists. If I wasn’t sure about a product, it was left off of the list. I’ve noted what date I went through a brand’s product list, note that there are sometimes reformulations that aren’t necessarily announced, so always double check the ingredient list!

Guide to Skin Care while Pregnant or Nursing

Don’t forget to check out the other articles in my Pregnancy and Nursing Skin Care Guide!

I have gone through every product’s ingredients list from the brands listed below. If your favorite product isn’t listed (but the brand is) then the product did not meet my pregnancy safe skin care criteria.

Clarins

V-Cense Revitalising Night Cream
V-Cense Youth Vitality Day Cream
Vita Mineral Active 7 Eye Gel

Guide to Skin Care while Pregnant or Nursing

Affiliate Links

1. August 23, 2013 / 3:33 pm

Been waiting for your post! Thank you!!! At least we have the body shop and neutrogena here, i have more options to choose from! Fingers crossed I'll find most of them though 🙂

August 25, 2013 / 6:16 pm

Possibly just listing ingredients to stay away from would be more effective. No glycolic acid, no retinols, etc. I think giving people information on what and why they shouldn't use certain chemicals would go further than plugging certain brands.

3. August 26, 2013 / 6:03 pm

I have a post listing the ingredients to avoid here: http://www.15minutebeauty.com/2010/10/newwhat-to-avoid-while-pregnant.html
    Which is mentioned and linked to in the post above. Unfortunately looking at ingredients isn't easy for everyone so a long list of exact products that are ok has been requested by hundreds of readers. I get 1 or 2 emails a day requesting help with ingredients, I've started with the lines that I'm asked about most frequently, but it took HOURS to go through each brand. This post is here for me to refer readers to, hoping to help readers and save me many emails. I'm sorry that you feel I've done this only to plug certain brands, but that isn't the case. I apologize.

August 26, 2013 / 9:06 pm

thank you ever so much for listing all the safest products. I am pregnant and would love to know which brand/products are safe to use during this period, not only the ingredients.
    great post, thanks again..

August 27, 2013 / 9:42 pm

Thank you! I have recently found your site and I am very grateful that you take the time to do it. I am certain there are many others that appreciate it as much as I do. I am hoping to see the 'Yes To' line show up at some point, but maybe not…:) I do not want to comment too quickly like one of the folks above asking about links etc (be nice people!), but have I overlooked a link to makeups that are pregnancy safe? Could we or should we look forward to this? With all the recent news about lead in lipstick etc, I worry about that as well since I often feel I need to enhance or hide things if you know what I mean!:) Thanks again!

6. August 28, 2013 / 12:58 am

Thanks! I'm pulling up the Yes to line to add now 😀 I haven't thought about a makeup post actually, the lines change so frequently. Do you think just including foundation, concealers would be enough?

August 29, 2013 / 2:05 pm

This is a great list! I have been searching online for such a listing the past couple of days after learning the products I am currently using contain unsafe ingredients. It has been much easier to find a list of what to avoid (various chemical names) than what's safe. Thank you!

I would also love a makeup list and think foundations (especially the newer "hot" BB & CC creams) is a great starting place. :o)

8. August 29, 2013 / 4:37 pm

Hi, thanks for all the info and time you took getting it. I'm in TX and there is a brand here that a lot of spas use called Rhonda Allison. I had a facial 2 weeks ago and she gave me a cleanser and moisturizing cream that was from Rhonda's safe while pregnant list of products. For some reason I didn't look at the list of ingredients at the time (didn't think I needed to since it was on the safe list) but yesterday I noticed retinol as one of the ingredients in the cream. I called their headquarters here in TX and talked with an esthetician and she said that the cream is for sensitive skin and has very little retinol in it and reassured me it was ok. She said it is not prescription strength and that it is derived from Vitamin A. What do you think? Would you mind looking at their website? http://www.rhondaallison.com/Post_Care_Support_and_Moisturizers.html
    I was thinking about getting the ultra hydration cream instead and saving the other cream (moisture au lait) for after pregnancy. Thanks 🙂 Kelly

9. August 29, 2013 / 5:57 pm

Retinoids are the biggest item on the no-no list, and there isn't a "safe" amount. Pretty much all physicians say to avoid it completely while pregnant, though it is safe while nursing! I'd save it for after delivery. The Ultra Hydration Cream looks safe (and very hydrating) to me!

10. August 29, 2013 / 6:08 pm

Ok, thanks so much Christine! Glad I found your blog!

🙂
    Kelly

August 31, 2013 / 3:08 am

This is a great list. I am looking for a new cleanser / toner / moisturizer and I was happy to come across this list of things to avoid & suggestions on what to try.

I thought I found my next cleaners (Mario Badescu's Enzyme Cleansing Gel), but then when reading the full product description, I saw that while the ingredient list does NOT say Hydrozy Acids, under "benefits," the hydroxy acids are listed–which seems very strange to me!

benefits:
    "Our Best Selling Daily Cleanser. This non-foaming, gel cleanser thoroughly removes the day’s make-up, dirt and oil without drying the skin. Papaya and Grapefruit Extracts are exfoliating Alpha Hydroxy Acids that help prevent dulling build-up that can cause blackheads and pimples."

Is it ok afterall, or should I avoid? (And if anyone can share a good pregnancy-safe cleanser for someone with combo skin & acne problems, I would greatly appreciate the tip!)

Thanks,
    E

12. August 31, 2013 / 3:35 pm

I made the executive decision to leave on products with extracts, which yes, will contain alpha hydroxy acids but at a much lower level than if they were on the lists themselves. You'd get a lot more by just eating that Papaya on its own than my using the small amount in the cleanser, if that makes sense! We're still considering extracts like that (except Willow due to the higher amount of Salicyclic Acid) to be safe

September 1, 2013 / 3:24 am

Thanks for the clarification!

September 5, 2013 / 3:55 pm

Are there any safe foundation products?
    The list above is extremely helpful, but for those who suffer from acne, it would be even more wonderful to find out about foundations and concealers…
    In terms of acne treatment, is there anything we know about using Zineryt solution in pregnancy?

September 7, 2013 / 5:09 pm

What abouy Simple Skincare? And do the same rules apply for breastfeeding?

September 7, 2013 / 9:12 pm

Thanks! And do you know anything about professional products like Arbonne or Image?

17. September 8, 2013 / 4:03 am

Hi, Thank you very much for your helpful list! I do have a question about the Mario Badescu Hyaluronic moisturizer – the second to last ingredient listed is Propylparaben…is that ok? I thought I read parabens are on the no list. Thanks!!

September 8, 2013 / 5:13 pm

Thank you again!
    I currently use Clinique even better makeup SPF 15. It has a long list of ingredients, but is it safe?
    My pregnancy made me realise how dependent we are on chemicals in our daily care: shampoos and conditioners, toothpastes, facial creams, make up, nail polish, etc.
    Are there any shampoo & conditioner and make up products anyone could recommend for when pregnant, please>

19. September 8, 2013 / 5:31 pm

Parabens are not currently on the no list for physicians. The evidence we have doesn't support adding them at all, though you can easily avoid them if you want to. If you're avoiding them in products, you should also avoid any foods that have them (you'll get a LOT more exposure via food than lotions) and note that they're naturally found in products like blueberries as well.

20. September 11, 2013 / 12:35 am

@Anon, I don't have a list for your foundation, so I'm not sure. I'm sorry!

September 12, 2013 / 10:59 am

Hi!
    I just ordered the body shop's tea tree oil blemish fade night lotion, and then I realized it was not on this list! Can you remember if it was one of those products you left off just in case or if it was a big no-no?
    Thank you so much for this website! I'm sure it is extremely time consuming but please know it is very appreciated 🙂

22. Meagan
    September 12, 2013 / 12:24 pm

What's your opinion on Eminence products, specifically their Bright Skin Care line? Thanks!

23. September 12, 2013 / 2:31 pm

Anon- I've gone over EVERY product in these lines, so if it isn't on the list it isn't safe. A bunch of the Body Shop's Tea Tree items weren't safe, so there must have been something in it. Only the Body Shop items listed above were fine!

Meagan- Unfortunately Eminence doesn't list the ingredients on their website, so I can't comment. In general all skin brightners except licorice root are not safe.

24. September 13, 2013 / 10:34 pm

Hi, Here are the ingredients for VITAMIN E NOURISHING NIGHT CREAM:

As you can see it's full of parabens, how is this safe on your list???
    FULL INGREDIENTS
    Water, Glycerin, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Dimethicone, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Cyclomethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Octanoate, Myristyl Myristate, Panthenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Fragrance,Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Talc, Manganese Violet, Iron Oxides.

25. September 13, 2013 / 11:09 pm

Hi,

Never mind on my prior comments on Body Shop E Vitamin Night Cream and paragons. Just noticed your comment that they are not on the no list for physicians.

Thanks for a great post. Very helpful!!!!

September 15, 2013 / 2:56 pm

Hello Christine! I am so happy I found you. Your website is so so helpful! There are a few products that I am using now that I will no longer be until after delivery.

Do you know if Estee Lauder's Perfectionist CP+R or Advanced Night Repair for face or eye ok to use?

What about the Skinceuticals Phloretin CF that have the following ingredients ok to use? Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat., Ascorbic acid, butylene glycol, triethyl citrate, phloretin, feurlic acid

Thank you so very much! What incredible information you provide!!!!

27. September 18, 2013 / 12:26 am

I don't have access to the ingredient lists of any of the Estee Lauder products, so I can't comment.

The Skinceuticals is fine!

September 18, 2013 / 3:38 am

Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your website!!!

Here is the list of ingredients for Estee Lauder's Perfectionist CP+R:
    Dimethicone, Water, Polysilicone-11, HDI/Trimethyl Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Methicone, Sigesbeckia Orientalis (St. Paul’s Wort) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, Coleus Forskohli Rott Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Hydrolyzed Fish (Pisces) Collage, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Silybum Marianum (Lady’s Thistle) Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Padina Pavonica Thallus Extract, Artemia Extract, Pantethine, Aglae Extract, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Cholesterol, Squalane, Boswellia Serrata Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Kernel Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Caffeine, Whey Protein, Linoleic Acid, Lecithin, Fish (Pisces) Collagen, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Glycerin, Yeast Extract, Polyquaternium-51, Phytosphingosine, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Decarboxy Carnosine HCL, Polysorbate-40, Pentylene Glycol, Propanediol, Lauryl PEG-9, Polydimethylsiloxethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate/VP Copolymer, Sodium PCA, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Isohexadecane, PEG-8, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate-80, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Laureth-12, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Beta-Sitosteryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide

29. Nila finalisa
    July 26, 2017 / 1:31 am

How about all product of SK II.is safe for pregnant or while nursing?
    Hope you will respond my question.
    Thanks before.

Best regards,
    Nila.

July 26, 2017 / 5:49 pm

I don’t have access to their ingredient lists so I can’t comment

30. Searching
    October 30, 2017 / 1:51 am

Is monoi oil (tahari flowers) an ingredient to stay away from? It’s in coconut based lotions md shampoo.

October 30, 2017 / 9:00 am

Not that I know of, I’ve never seen that ingredient mentioned on any list of things to avoid. As well, all the derms I’ve talked to say to not worry about hair products and it is mostly rinsed off immediately and the scalp doesn’t really absorb it.

31. Barb
    December 25, 2017 / 1:18 am

Your information is great. But I’m trying to pull up your link for jttp://www.15minutebeauty.com/2010/10/newwhat-to-avoid-while-pregnant.html but it is not working. I get “not found” please let me know when that link has been fixed.

32. Patricia Goy
    December 30, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Thanks for listing all these products! Going through ingredients is very ovehwlening! What about drunk elephant c firm day serum ? Also first aid beauty eye duty triple remedy overnight balm?

December 30, 2017 / 5:23 pm

I’ve gone through every product’s ingredients list offered by the brands listed here. So, if the product isn’t listed then it isn’t pregnancy safe.

33. Raiana
    January 2, 2018 / 7:12 am

Thank you so much for the information,I wanted to find out if Fair &White products are safe to use during pregnancy?

January 2, 2018 / 10:30 am

Due to differences in formulations around the world (eg- Canada is often different than the US even, though I live <1 hour from Canada by car), I am no longer answering questions about formulations without a list of ingredients.

34. Becky
    January 4, 2018 / 12:05 pm

Are any of the Origins products safe to use? Specifically the GinZing eye cream.
    ingredients: water\aqua\eau; methyl trimethicone; butylene glycol; peg-100 stearate; dimethicone; cetyl ricinoleate; silica; olea europaea (olive) fruit oil; glycerin; behenyl alcohol; cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract; panax ginseng (ginseng) root extract; castanea sativa (chestnut) seed extract; camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract; cordyceps sinensis extract; magnolia officinalis bark extract; pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract; scutellaria baicalensis root extract; pantethine; panthenol; caprylic/capric triglyceride; butyrospermum parkii (shea butter); caffeine; coleus barbatus extract; yeast extract\faex\extrait de levure; folic acid; hydrogenated lecithin; jojoba wax peg-120 esters; biotin; tribehenin; myristyl alcohol; palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7; trehalose; sodium hyaluronate; ascorbyl tocopheryl maleate; hesperidin methyl chalcone; sodium sulfite; sodium metabisulfite; steareth-20; dipeptide-2; ethylhexylglycerin; carbomer; tromethamine; sorbic acid; chlorphenesin; phenoxyethanol; mica; titanium dioxide (ci 77891); iron oxides.

January 6, 2018 / 10:03 am

I haven’t had a chance to check Origins yet, but I’ll add the brand to my mental list of things to check. That ingredient list looks safe to me.

35. Valeria
    January 5, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Hi,

I recently bought Deep Cleansing Mask and Refining Facial Polisher from Omorovicza. I saw those two in your safe list. Is there any limitation on using the products? I contacted them directly but they keep repeating to ask my doctor whether their ingredients are safe for pregnancy. Now i am doubting if their products are safe. What do you think?

January 6, 2018 / 10:05 am

I think they’re safe based upon my criteria, but the ultimate guide is always your doctor. Many brands won’t comment either way.

36. B
    January 7, 2018 / 1:02 am

Hi! I’m so grateful I found your blog because I’m a big beauty Nut but had to forgo a lot of my usual products during pregnancy. Now that i’m nursing, I was surprised that my doctor told me to only stick to natural products. Your list is so helpful because kiehls is one of my favorite brands! I can’t seem to see other brands though aside from the updated ones from December 2017. Is there another link? Thanks!

January 7, 2018 / 9:40 am

I’m slowly going through a bunch of brands on the Sephora and ULTA sites, let me know if there is one in particular you want!

• B
        January 7, 2018 / 4:36 pm

I would love to know if the La mer Soft Cream is okay for pregnancy/nursing stages. As well as the Bioderma Micellar water. Here are the ingredients of the latter:

AQUA/WATER/EAU, PEG-6 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CETRIMONIUM BROMIDE, DISODIUM EDTA. [BI 446]

Is it correct that I can only see from Clarins to Ren brands on this page? 🙂 Cause I read through the comments and some mentioned Body Shop, Neutrogena, etc.

Thank you!!

January 7, 2018 / 4:52 pm

The Bioderma looks fine. I can’t find the La Mer ingredients anywhere, so I am unable to comment on that.
          I’ve recently revamped this post, I hadn’t looked at many ingredient lists in about 4 years, so I erased those lists (so many had reformulated!) and I’m slowly going through more brands on the ULTA and Sephora sites. It takes hours, sooo… yes, it’s going to take a long time! If there’s a particular brand you want to know about let me know, but I previously had about 20 or 30 brands in the post.

• B
            January 15, 2018 / 12:29 am

Would love to learn more about Burt’s Bees and Fresh please!!

January 15, 2018 / 11:02 am

I will add them to my list of brands to check!

37. KZ
    January 7, 2018 / 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for this list! It is so hard to read through all the ingredients- so I am so impressed! I was curious your thoughts about these two products! I switched to some juice beauty products but I had a bad reaction- so I was hoping some of my regular products were ok even while expecting! If you are doing more brands, I would love to see more from Philosophy.

PHILOSOPHY
    Renewed Hope in A Jar Overnight Recharging & Refining Moisturizer

Ingredients: Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Propanediol, Glycolic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Arachidyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Peg-12 Glyceryl Dimyristate, Squalane, Behenyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Allantoin, Gluconolactone, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Pca, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Arginine, Betaglucan, Sodium Metabisulfite, Lecithin, Adenosine, Sodium Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Arachidyl Glucoside, Sodium Sulfite, Bisabolol, Calcium Gluconate, Parfum/Fragrance, Chlorphenesin, Disodium Edta, Xanthan Gum, Farnesol, Linalool, Phenoxyethanol.

SHISEIDO
    Pureness Moisturizing Gel-Cream

Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, Xylitol, Pentaerythrityl Tetraoctanoate, Hydrogenated C6-14 Olefin Polymers, Corn Starch, Eysenhardtia Polystachya (Palo Azul) Wood Extract, Potassium Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Potassium-Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sucrose Stearate, Trisodium EDTA, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Peony Root Extract, Rosemary Extract, Methylparaben, Benzoic Acid, Fragrance, Iron Oxides.

January 7, 2018 / 7:13 pm

I would avoid the Philosophy product due to the Glycolic Acid. The Shiseido looks ok to me!

• KZ
        January 7, 2018 / 7:47 pm

That’s what I was thinking, too! Thanks so much!

38. bcl
    January 13, 2018 / 10:58 am

What do you think about hair color during nursing? Also, since these products are safe for pregnancy, does it mean these are safe for nursing as well? Thanks!

January 15, 2018 / 11:07 am

Hair color while pregnant and nursing is regarded as safe by the medical community. All the products that are safe for pregnancy are also safe for nursing.

• BCL
        January 19, 2018 / 5:52 am

Thank you! Please feature Glossier and Sunday Riley too, please!!

January 20, 2018 / 3:21 pm

Sounds good!!

39. Lisa Maria
    January 16, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Hi! I’m curious about Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream? I compared the list to your ingredients to avoid list and nothing jumped out at me, but I’m afraid of overlooking something.

Super 7 Complex: Fresh’s proprietary age-defying, hydrating, and radiance-boosting blend of seven super-charged ingredients: Lotus flower extract, blue-green algae extract, hibiscus fruit extract, fig fruit extract, vitamins C and E, and vegetable glycerol.
    -Maca Root Extract: Enhances luminosity and cell turnover.

Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Pentylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Betaine, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Steareth-21, Phenoxyethanol, Behenyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Sorbitol, Dimethicone, Sodium Pca, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Limonene, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Caramel, Algae Extract, Citric Acid, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Citral, Potassium Sorbate, Hibiscus Esculentus Fruit Extract, Sorbic Acid, Tocopherol.

January 17, 2018 / 8:26 am

This looks ok to me too!

• Lisa Maria
        January 20, 2018 / 1:14 pm

Thank you!!

40. Chloe Licht
    January 18, 2018 / 12:29 pm

Belli Skincare is another fantastic line you should test out for pregnancy friend skincare! All of their products are specifically tested and rigorously screened for safety during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.

January 20, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I do really like a lot of their products! I haven’t included the list here because I haven’t gotten that far yet, but they’re wonderful at correctly labelling products for pregnancy and nursing 🙂