Pregnancy safe beauty products can be super difficult and confusing. I have an entire guide devoted to what products are safe to use while pregnant including information on what ingredients to avoid while pregnant and a huge list of pregnancy safe skincare products. The list has gotten so large that I’ve decided to start listing brands in their own individual posts.
Here you’ll find pregnancy safe products from Pureology as of 8/8/2020. If it is not safe, I’ll tell you why. All of the products meet my pregnancy safe criteria. If they release a new product that is not listed here, please comment below and I will add it. Note I will link to every product directly to avoid confusion. You’ll know exactly which product I mean.
Please note, it can take up to an hour to review the ingredient lists of each product. I review with my own list of pregnancy safe criteria. I obtain my ingredient lists from the brands and major retailers (typically Nordstrom and Sephora), and I review the US versions. Please do not ask me to re-review the same products over and over, I do not have the time to do so, and many people have been rude about this. For more brands, please head over to the list of pregnancy safe products.
Which hair products do you need to worry about?
Technically, none. Most OBs will tell you not to worry about any hair products. Your hair is a dead protein, and it can not absorb anything. It’s amazing how pregnancy brain can take over and we forget that simple fact!
Personally, I screened products that would sit on my scalp for a few minutes (aka- shampoos, scrubs, etc). My thought process was that those products would be similar to a face wash, even if washed off right away it sits there for a bit. So, on this list you’ll find products that sit on your scalp. This is shampoo, scalp treatments and root styling products. Conditioners and masks do not get applied to your scalp, so I would not worry about them. Other styling products should just be on the hair shaft, and if you’re worried about sprays being inhaled, I recommend holding your breath while you spray and then step away a few feet.
Pregnancy and Nursing Safe Products from Pureology
Not Safe for Pregnancy, Ok for Nursing
• Hydrate Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Hydrate Sheer Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Nanoworks Gold Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Pure Volume Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Style + Protect On The Rise Root Lifting Mousse: Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Style + Protect Refresh & Go Dry Shampoo (at Sephora): Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• Smooth Perfection Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Strength Cure Blonde Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• Strength Cure Shampoo (at Sephora): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
Not Safe for Pregnancy or Nursing
Note I’m including products with retinoids here, as those are a bit iffy. It depends on how conservative you want to be while nursing (still absolutely contraindicated while pregnant). Refer to my post on ingredients to avoid while nursing for more discussion.