Skincare during pregnancy isn’t easy to get right. There are a lot of skin care ingredients that should be avoided during pregnancy. Chances are that great night cream that you’ve used for years, the one that gives you glowy skin? Yeah, you probably can’t use that. Or the miracle gel that erases your pimples almost overnight. Your new anti-aging serum definitely has ingredients you need to avoid as well.
I’ve written about skin care routine adjustments for pregnancy in the past. And yes, you’ll need to make a lot of them while pregnant!
My general philosophy when it comes to pregnancy safe skincare is that you need to pare down to pregnancy safe basics. A simple routine that can work throughout your pregnancy. Because your hormones are going to be shifting all over the place causing fun issues like pimples, hyperpigmentation and dryness. And sometimes all at once! So, basic products you can use the entire time, then swap in treatments for that month’s fun skin issue as you need.
I put together a few routines below, as of the date that I’m writing this (October 9, 2014), the ingredient lists on either the company’s website or my own product that I purchased, was pregnancy friendly and met my criteria for pregnancy safe skincare. I’ve given you a few options when I could in each product category, so you should be able to just pick and chose products that you know work well for you or have features that you like. Don’t forget that there are more options over in my Giant List of Pregnancy Friendly Skincare Products.
Update 1/23/2017: I have reviewed updated ingredients list and links. I’ve crossed out items pictured that I’m worried about for one reason or another, usually a minor change in formulation.
• Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Ageless Lifting & Firming Eye Cream (get it at Amazon)
• Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Eye Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 CC Eye Cream (discontinued)
• Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Ageless Reconditioning Night Cream (get it at Amazon)
• Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Night Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
• Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Night Recovery Moisturizing Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
Higher End Skincare Routine
• Eve Lom Cleanser (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Algenist Purifying & Replenishing Cleanser (get it at Sephora or ULTA)
• Philosophy Purity Made Simple (get it at Sephora or ULTA)
• Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
• Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• SK-II Skin Signature Eye Cream (only at SK-II)
Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado (get it at Kiehl’s or Nordstrom)
• Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight Cream (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Cream (get it at Kiehl’s or Nordstrom)
Organic Skincare Routine
• Pangea Organics Egyptian Calendula & Blood Orange Facial Cleanser (get it at Pangea or Amazon)
• Osmia Organics Black Clay Facial Soap (get it at Osmia)
• Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk (get it at Juice Beauty, ULTA or BirchBox)
Don’t forget to check out the other articles in my Pregnancy and Nursing Skin Care Guide!
Product Sent for Review, I Bought It Myself, Affiliate Links