Pregnancy safe beauty products can be super difficult and confusing. I have an entire guide devoted to what products are safe to use while pregnant including information on what ingredients to avoid while pregnant and a huge list of pregnancy safe skincare products. The list has gotten so large that I’ve decided to start listing brands in their own individual posts.
Here you’ll find pregnancy safe products from R+Co as of 1/12/2021. If it is not safe, I’ll tell you why. All of the products meet my pregnancy safe criteria. If they release a new product that is not listed here, please comment below and I will add it. Note I will link to every product directly to avoid confusion. You’ll know exactly which product I mean.
Please refer to my post on pregnancy safe makeup, where I explain why you don’t need to worry about your mascara, powders, eyeliners, brow products, etc. I do not review these products.
Which hair products do you need to worry about?
Technically, none. Most OBs will tell you not to worry about any hair products. Your hair is a dead protein, and it can not absorb anything. It’s amazing how pregnancy brain can take over and we forget that simple fact!
Personally, I screen products that would sit on my scalp for a few minutes (aka- shampoos, scrubs, etc). My thought process was that those products would be similar to a face wash, even if washed off right away it sits there for a bit. So, on this list you’ll find products that sit on your scalp. This is shampoo, scalp treatments and root styling products. Other styling products should just be on the hair shaft, and if you’re worried about sprays being inhaled, I recommend holding your breath while you spray and then step away a few feet. Conditioner and treatment masques don’t usually touch your scalp, though I have screened a few masques that people sometimes apply up to their roots. If you apply any of these further from the scalp, they’re all safe (even if I screened them as not safe).
How to Request a Product Review
I try to review all of the products that I can when I publish a list. Note, I am in the US and I only have access to US products. Please don’t be rude if I skipped your favorite cleanser, when items are out of stock sometimes they aren’t on the brand’s site, or maybe you are in Asia and I am in the US.
I reserve the comments on each post for reviews of product from that brand, this makes it easier for others to find products later. Please only ask about R+Co on this post, I will delete other product questions. You can find other brands here. If your brand is not included, please ask on the brand list post.
Note, I’ve screened all of the R+Co products that I think you need to worry about. Please read the above section about which products you need to worry about, most people don’t. There’s a reason I didn’t screen the hairspray.
Pregnancy and Nursing Safe Products from R+Co
• ANALOG CLEANSING FOAM CONDITIONER
• BADLANDS DRY SHAMPOO PASTE (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury)
• BRIGHT SHADOWS ROOT TOUCH-UP SPRAY (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): all shades
• CACTUS TEXTURIZING SHAMPOO (at Bluemercury)
• DARK WAVES BODY LOTION
• DARK WAVES BODY WASH
• OBLIVION CLARIFYING SHAMPOO (at Bluemercury)
• PALM READER ANTISEPTIC HAND SANITIZER
• SPIRITUALIZED DRY SHAMPOO MIST (at Nordstrom)
Not Safe for Pregnancy, Ok for Nursing
• ACID WASH APPLE CIDER VINEGAR CLEANSING RINSE (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen
• ATLANTIS MOISTURIZING B5 SHAMPOO (at Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• BEL AIR SMOOTHING SHAMPOO + ANTI-OXIDANT COMPLEX (at Bluemercury): Gluconolactone, Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• CASSETTE CURL SHAMPOO + SUPERSEED OIL COMPLEX (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• CROWN SCALP SCRUB (at Bluemercury): Salicylic Acid, Chemical Sunscreen
• DALLAS BIOTIN THICKENING SHAMPOO (at Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• DEATH VALLEY DRY SHAMPOO (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen
• GEMSTONE COLOR SHAMPOO (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• RODEO STAR THICKENING STYLE FOAM (at Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen
• TELEVISION PERFECT HAIR SHAMPOO (at Nordstrom, Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
• WATERFALL MOISTURE + SHINE LOTION (at Bleumercury): Chemical Sunscreen
• ZIG ZAG ROOT TEASING + TEXTURE SPRAY (at Bluemercury): Chemical Sunscreen