Pregnancy safe skincare can be super difficult and confusing. I have an entire guide devoted to what products are safe to use while pregnant including information on what ingredients to avoid while pregnant and a huge list of pregnancy safe skincare products. The list has gotten so large that I’ve decided to start listing brands in their own individual posts.
Here you’ll find every pregnancy safe skincare product from SkinMedica as of 5/5/2019. If it is not safe, I’ll tell you why. All of the products meet my pregnancy safe criteria. If they release a new product that is not listed here, please comment below and I will add it. Note I will link to every product directly to avoid confusion. You’ll know exactly which product I mean.
How to Request a Product Review
I try to review all of the products that I can when I publish a list. Note, I am in the US and I only have access to US products. Please don’t be rude if I skipped your favorite cleanser, when items are out of stock sometimes they aren’t on the brand’s site, or maybe you are in Asia and I am in the US.
I reserve the comments on each post for reviews of product from that brand, this makes it easier for others to find products later. Please only ask about SkinMedica on this post, I will delete other product questions. You can find other brands here. If your brand is not included, please ask on the brand list post.
Pregnancy Safe Products from SkinMedica
• Age Defense Hydrating Complex
• Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad-Spectrum SPF 35
• Essential Defense Mineral Shield™ Broad-Spectrum SPF 32 – Tinted
• HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
• HA5 Smooth & Plump Lip System
• Lumivive System
• Redness Relief CalmPlex
• Scar Recovery Gel with Centelline
• Sensitive Skin Cleanser
• TNS Illuminating Eye Cream
• TNS Recovery Complex
• Ultra Sheer Moisturizer
• Vitamin C + E Complex
Not Safe for Pregnancy, Ok for Nursing
• Acne Treatment Lotion: Benzoyl Peroxide, Willow Bark (Salicylate)
• AHA/BHA Cream: Salicylic Acid
• AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser: Licorice Root, Salicylic Acid
• Dermal Repair Cream: Licorice Root
• Essential Defense Everyday Clear™ Broad-Spectrum SPF 47: Chemical Sunscreen
• GlyPro Antioxidant Serum: Licorice Root, Glycolic Acid
• GlyPro Daily Firming Lotion: Glycolic Acid
• Purifying Foaming Wash: Willow Bark (Salicylate), Salicylic Acid
• GlyPro Renewal Cream: Glycolic Acid
• Replenish Hydrating Cream: Licorice Root
• Total Defense + Repair SPF 34: Chemical Sunscreens
• Total Defense Repair SPF 34 Tinted: Chemical Sunscreens
• Total Defense + Repair SPF 50+: Chemical Sunscreen, Salicylate
Not Safe for Pregnancy or Nursing
Note I’m including products with retinoids here, as those are a bit iffy. It depends on how conservative you want to be while nursing (still absolutely contraindicated while pregnant). Refer to my post on ingredients to avoid while nursing for more discussion.
There isn’t info out there on the safety of Cannabis used topically during pregnancy or nursing. We do know smoking marijuana with THC has bad effects and should be avoided, though it hasn’t been fully decided if it is just the THC or something else as well. Note Hemp does not have THC in it, it’s breed out of the plant basically. But there are still the unknowns we haven’t decided about. I would not recommend using Hemp or Cannabis products while nursing or pregnant for that reason.
• Age Defense Retinol Complex .25: Retinoid
• Age Defense Retinol Complex 0.5: Retinoid
• Age Defense Retinol Complex 1.0: Retinoid
• Lytera 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum: Tranexamic Acid is uncommon in topical use, but it promotes clotting (you’re already prone to clots during pregnancy), unclear if this gets absorbed and could have any effects. Also, stem cell extract.
• Rejuvenative Moisturizer: Licorice Root, Retinoid
• Rejuvenative Toner: Willow Bark (Salicylate), Retinoid
• TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream: Retinoid
• TNS Essential Serum: Arbutin
• TNS Eye Repair: Retinoid
• Uplifting Eye Serum: Kojic Acid, Retinoid, Willow Bark (Salicylate), Licorice Root