Pregnancy Safe Facial Sunscreens, BB and CC Creams

Pregnancy Safe Facial Sunscreens, BB and CC Creams

One of the major issues I’ve been having in discussing pregnancy safe skincare is sunscreen. I feel like I tell everyone that emails me that their sunscreen is not safe, and they need to find a pregnancy safe sunscreen, and I’m sorry but I don’t have one to recommend. All of the sunscreens I used when I was pregnant have been reformulated and I can no longer recommend them.

I try to not recommend any chemical sunscreens (if you’re not sure what those are, check out my sunscreen guide for more information) as those are actually absorbed by the skin, they’ve even been picked up in urine tests! While many of these ingredients are likely safe, due to ethical reasons it is highly unlikely that clinical trials will ever be completed to prove the safety of these ingredients.

The sunscreens included on this list are all physical sunscreens, with the active ingredient Zinc Oxide, and usually (but not always, check individual products to be sure) Titanium Dioxide as well. This means that all of these products are full spectrum UV coverage.

Note, I have not tried all of these products. Once I started finding products that were full spectrum and pregnancy safe, I decided I would just list every product that I found! I know this list will be helpful to many of my readers. If you have tried any of these products, let me know how you liked it in the comments below. There’s also a list of pregnancy safe body sunscreens.

Pregnancy Safe Facial Sunscreen List

Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid SPF 50
Nia 24 Sun Prevention 100 Percent Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
PRESCRIBEDsolutions Up the Anti Physical Sunblock SPF 30
Suntegrity Skincare Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen and Primer SPF 30
VMV Hypoallergenics Armada Baby SPF 50+

Best Sunscreen Information
Find more information about how sunscreens work, application tips and product reviews in my sunscreen guide

Guide to Skin Care while Pregnant or Nursing
Don’t forget to check out the other articles in my Pregnancy and Nursing Skin Care Guide!

Affiliate Links

1. Desiree
    March 16, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Do these negate your other pregnancy safe sunscreens on your other basic skincare page?
    Thanks!

• 15mins
      March 16, 2018 / 1:25 pm

They’re in addition to!

2. Meg
    March 21, 2018 / 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for your website, and for updating it so often – it has been an invaluable resource! I’m wondering if these two below would be safe and adequate? Thank you!

One – BAREMINERALS COMPLEXION RESCUE™ Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream

Water, Coconut Alkanes, Propanediol, Squalane, Trehalose, Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Silica, Agar, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Globularia Cordifolia Callus Culture Extract, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, Melilotus Officinalis Extract, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene Glycol, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Succinoglycan, Polysorbate 60, Cellulose Gum, Polyglyceryl-4 Laurate/Succinate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Hydroxide, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

Two – SUPERGOOP! Defense Refresh Setting Mist Broad Spectrum SPF 50

-Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 4%, Octisalate 3%, and Octinoxate 6%: Deliver broad-spectrum sun protection.
    -Silica Silylate: Helps to control oil and reduce shine.
    -Rosemary Leaf Oil and Peppermint Stem/Leaf Oil: Soothe redness while providing an uplifting sensory experience.

Alcohol Denat, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Isododecane, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Silica Silylate, Water, PVP, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Stem/Leaf Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil.

• 15mins
      March 21, 2018 / 6:33 pm

No to the SuperGoops, but yes to the BareMinerals! Let me know how you like it if you try it, I’ve had my eye on that one!

• Meg
        March 24, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Thank you! I love the Bare Minerals, I’ve used it for a while and it’s great!

3. Mimi
    April 6, 2018 / 2:06 pm

Hi. Thank you for your posts. I find them very helpful. I would like to seek for your advice for whether these 2 products are safe for pregnancy.

1. Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation:

Water, Glycerin, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclohexasiloxane, Sd Alcohol 40-B, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Alumina, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Silica, Talc, Iron Oxides, Sorbitan Isostearate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Algae Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol.

2. Jan Marini Physical Protectant Broad Spectrum SPF 45

Titanium Dioxide 6%, Zinc Oxide 8%. Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Isododecane, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Poly Methyl Methacrylate/EDMA, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Bisabolol, Ubiquinone, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499).

I really appreciate your help.

• 15mins
      April 7, 2018 / 3:30 pm

The tarte looks ok but the Jan Marini is not.

4. relacon
    April 7, 2018 / 3:59 am

Hi Christine,

found your blog and these articles are fantastic! thank you! could you kindly advise if the following Laneige bb cushion pore control is suitable for pregnancy

Purified Water, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Methyl Trimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Niacinamide, Nylon-12, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Pinus sylvestris Leaf Extract, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Silica, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Acrylates/Stearyl Acrylate/Dimethicone Methacrylate Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate/Dimethicone Methacrylate Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Ethylhexylglycerin, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, Chenopodium quinoa Seed Extract, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Peppermint Extract, Pentylene Glycol, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow Oxide of Iron, Red Oxide of Iron, Black Oxide of Iron, Aromatics

thanks so much in advance!

• 15mins
      April 7, 2018 / 3:13 pm

It is not, due to the chemical sunscreens.

5. Hoji Fang
    April 12, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Hi girl! Love your content. Would these sunscreens be safe to use during pregnancy? I noticed that the COSRX has titanium oxide but no zinc oxide so I’m not sure if it is even a physical sunscreen.

1. COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF50 PA+++
    Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Isoamyl P-Methoxycinnamate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Alcohol,Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, C14-22 Alcohols, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Aloe Arborescens Leaf Extract, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Peg-100 Stearate, Silica, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Edta

2. Murad Essential-C Day Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++
    Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3.00%), Homosalate (6.50%), Octinoxate (7.50%), Octisalate (5.00%), Oxybenzone (2.00%)
    Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Cocoglycerides, Lauryl Lactate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Isodecyl Neopentanoate , Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Phosphate, Urea, Yeast Amino Acids, Trehalose, Inositol, Taurine, Betaine, Phospholipids, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Pelvetia Canaliculata Extract, Ectoin, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Extract, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Tripleurospermum Maritimum Extract , Zinc Gluconate, Ethyl Linoleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Aminomethyl Propanol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Limonene*, Linalool*, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Red 33 (CI 17200) *Allergen

• 15mins
      April 12, 2018 / 9:06 pm

Both have chemical sunscreens in them, so I’d avoid them.

• C
        April 19, 2018 / 5:32 am

I used Cerave AM lotion all throughout my pregnancy. Eek! What are the risks? Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about or just lesson learned for the next one?

And, now that I’m nursing (and no longer pregnanat)—any reason to switch to a different AM moisturizer or is the Cerave AM safe?

Thank you so much!

• 15mins
          April 19, 2018 / 9:53 am

It’s fine for nursing! We just don’t really know what the risks are for many of the ingredients. Probably nothing to worry about at all, just keep it in mind for your next pregnancy and enjoy your perfect baby!