The TSA’s 3-1-1 rule has been around for years, but I struggle with paring down my beauty products enough to be able to travel without checking luggage. I think this is just part of being a beauty addict. I previously shared great tips for fitting everything in your carry on, but that post is a few years old and some of the products are no longer available.
If you have products that you can’t swap out and really need to travel with, my favorite bottles for decanting and these perfume sprays are both perfect for spill proof travel. For products that are thicker, I’ve found that these silicone tubes are easy to squeeze for thick conditioners and lotions.
Other than decanting in to (much) smaller containers, the best way to save space in your 3-1-1 bag is to get products out of that bag! Swap out to these non-liquid beauty product alternatives that don’t need to be in the 3-1-1 bag.
Liquids to Solids
1. and 2. LUSH Solid Shampoo and Conditioner: My favorite item to swap out is one that you probably didn’t think could go solid. I’ve had great results from LUSH’s solid shampoos and conditioners, though note that my biggest issue is actually their soap container. I find the metal box very difficult to open and it doesn’t drain away water from the bar. I prefer to use this travel soap dish box instead.
3. LUSH Toothy Tabs: LUSH also makes toothpaste and mouthwash tabs.
Wipes for Everything
is 5. Patchology Flashmasque Mud: I have this sitting in my cart, I’m really intrigued by it! It claims to be a mess free clay mask, perfect for travel.
6. Kate Somerville 360° Tanning Towelettes: I find sunless tanning wipes to be easier to use than other sunless tanners. The tan isn’t orange and it doesn’t streak at all.
7. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick: Even when I’m not traveling this is one of my favorite foundations. It is super easy to draw all over my face and then buff with a brush to blend. I wear 1.25 Cool Ivory.
8. Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer: This balm does help depuff under my eyes, and it provides a nice base for makeup.