Similar to my favorite undereye concealers, now that I’m over 40 I’ve found that I need something that is lighter in consistency than my old stand-by products. I look for liquids, products that come in a tube with a wand applicator or a pen that delivers a specific amount of product. Anything in a pot or compact will cake and make me look older. That’s a no-go.
When looking for your undereye corrector, you need to really look at your skin tone and see what shade it is that you’re correcting. If you have blue/purple circles under your eyes, you’ll need a peach/orange corrector. For anything red, you’ll need a yellow (for faint redness) or a green.
When shopping, you’ll notice that there is a pretty broad range in terms of how vivid the corrector is. If your discoloration isn’t very much, you’ll want less vivid. More discoloration means you need a more vivid corrector. As well, if your skintone is pale, go for a less vivid corrector. For a darker skintone, you’ll need a more vivid corrector. It’s all a balancing act. Personally, I am pale but I tend to have more discoloration, so I use a little more vivid corrector, but not the most vivid out there.
Once you have the right shade of corrector, I apply it in very light layers, directly over the discoloration. It should only go on that area, no “triangle of light” under your eye like with concealer. Nope, light layers, only on the discoloration. Apply, pat it out with a fingertip, and then apply another layer if you need to. I put it on over just my eye cream, if you layer it over skin toned makeup such as BB Cream or concealer, you’ll often end up with a muddy mess.
Note, I have to use two shades of corrector usually. I use a peach all over my undereye area to correct darkness, and then I often have a bit of red closer to my nose that I then cover with some green. This isn’t unusual, but if you’re going to color correct one issue then you should color correct the second as well.
1. Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift in Shade 1
2. Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid in Peach
3. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Color Corrector in 2 Peach
4. Giorgio Armani Master Corrector in 1 Pink
5. L.A. Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer in Peach Corrector
6. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Neutralizer Colour Corrector in Bisque
7. Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift in Shade 2
8. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Color Corrector in 3 Orange/Red
9. L.A. Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer in Orange
10. Giorgio Armani Master Corrector in 2 Orange
11. Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid in Deep Peach