Makeup Wars: Battle of the Red Lip

Loreal Red Fatale swatchFor this week’s Makeup Wars post we’re taking a look at one of beauty’s classics: the red lip. It is always a big trend in the fall, and I have to admit that this year I really love the red lip!

This gloss is the one I recommend to anyone wanting to try a red lip, it’s the one I wear frequently and if you saw my Google Plus Beauty Hangout with The Blush and My Beauty Bunny on Friday, it is the lippie I was wearing that day. (In case you missed it, you can watch the beauty hangout over on YouTube. Also, I pop in and out a few times… my ISP was a bit spotty and Safari kept reloading? So annoying! Next time I’m just going to use Firefox.)

This gloss is very pigmented and I actually use it as a stain a lot! I apply it once, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then wipe it off. I then reapply a second time, and that’s the gloss I’ll wear. Applying the first layer and wiping off really does a great job of staining my lips, and makes it a lot less obvious when the lipgloss is wearing off.

The gloss is a little thicker than most glosses, really more of a lacquer. I don’t think that it’s sticky, and it doesn’t really have any flavor. Even with drinking, it lasts for a good 4-5 hours. It’s not quite a true red, I think it has a very tiny amount of blue in it, which makes it a little easier to wear. For some reason the fact that it is a gloss makes it look much more polished on me than a lipstick.

I’ve been loving red lips so much that starting today I’ll be featuring an entire month of red lippies! Now I’m off to start snapping lippie pics…In the meantime, check out the favorite red lippies of my blogging friends!

L’Oreal Paris USA

1. September 17, 2012 / 5:32 pm

this is a beautiful shade! I haven't tried these out yet, so they're going on my list!

2. September 17, 2012 / 5:36 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! I have been meaning to try this line. I'm going to have to pick one of these babies up soon. Great tip about applying, then blotting then applying again!

3. September 17, 2012 / 5:40 pm

It's pretty on you!

4. September 17, 2012 / 7:08 pm

You know what? I think I have one of these in a box from when we at the L'oreal Center with Total Beauty! I may have to dig it out to see if I like it as much as you!

5. September 17, 2012 / 8:03 pm

Great idea to put it on, wait and wipe it off. I'm going to steal that!! Very pretty color too.

6. September 17, 2012 / 9:34 pm

The shine looks great on this one. Nice choice!

September 17, 2012 / 10:49 pm

Wow! I love this. Wouldn't have thought to try it if you hadn't blogged about it but will definitely pick it up on my next trip to WalMart. Like you, I find red lips hard to pull off but this one looks so pretty and I love the idea of a red stain. Many thanks.

Moushka

8. September 17, 2012 / 11:58 pm

Thanks everyone!

@Paula- I got my first one in that box from L'Oreal at TB back in 2009, repurchased it when I lost it (oops!) and when I told L'Oreal I was doing the month of red lippies they sent me another one. So I have 2, but I think I'm going to wear it a lot this fall, so I'm happy with that!

@Moushka- I'm wearing the full gloss here, but I wear it as a stain pretty often. So easy to do the stain (I've found I need to do it about every 8 hours or so), and then I can just use a regular balm over it. So easy for on the go!

9. September 18, 2012 / 1:17 am

That shade is indeed very pretty! I have never tried the infallible glosses and now I want to! I typically really like blue based reds like this. Great choice!