I get asked quite often what my current beauty routine is in the morning, and the truth is that I don’t really have a “go to” beauty routine that I use every day. My routine varies quite a bit depending upon the day. I work about 8-10 days a month (yes, that’s considered full time at my job!), and I’m home the rest of time with my 3 month old (the 4 year old usually goes to her preschool/day care, though once a week she stays home with me too). So, I have days where I’m professional, days that I’m home with just my 3 month old, and I have days with both girls. I even get days that I’m home completely alone, though that’s not very often.
I thought I’d share what I’m currently doing on days that I work, so it is the most complete look. I fully admit that I’ll skip steps depending on how much time my girls let mommy have to put on her makeup! This entire look takes me about 10 minutes, start to finish.
1. Prep I’m currently using BB cream or Tinted Moisturizer each morning simply to save time. I usually do my eyes before my face, but if I waited until after my eyes were done to apply, I’d be super dry! So, right after washing my face, I apply whichever product I’m using that day, then let it absorb while I’m working on my eyes.
I’m currently using Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (from Nordstrom) in Blush, which is a perfect match for my skin. I do wish that it had a little bit more coverage, but it is easy to just smear all over my face and requires very little blending.
I also like to apply a basic lip balm at this time so it can start to do its magic! I typically just use whatever I have on the vanity, my favorite is Kiehl’s #1 Lip Balm (from Nordstrom).
2. Eyes While my tinted moisturizer is absorbing, I do my eyes. When I’m crunched for time, I’ve been doing this eye look, which is neutral but a little bit glowy and it is hard to mess up!
I start with an eye primer, usually the NYX Eye Shadow Base in Nude (from ULTA or Drugstore.com). I can apply it super fast with just my fingers and it is a great match for my skin with coverage, so it hides all of those visible blood vessels.
Next I grab Stila’s Eyes Are the Window Shadow Palette in Soul (from Sephora). It has a lot of great neutral shimmery shades, which is what I love. I use Kitten and Vitality, using a big fluffy brush I pick up a little of both and apply in a light wash over my entire lid, up and over the crease. Next I grab a smaller crease brush and apply Thought to my crease and a little to the outer V of my lid.
Next I line my eyes with brown liner, Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Precision Glide Eyeliner in Java (from Macy’s or Elizabeth Arden). I like this eye liner because it is hard enough to get between my lashes but still soft enough that the color applies easily and smudges perfectly. I just do a very rough lining, pushing the pencil into my lash line and moving it around a little to really get the liner down in there. My line is usually a bit thicker at the outer corner than it is at the inner corner. I only line the top of my eye, since I’m up so much in the middle of the night with the baby I figure adding any potential for shadow under my eyes is a bad idea! Once my eyes are lined I grab a smudge brush (usually NARS Smudge Brush #45) and I smudge the liner just a bit.
Finally I finish up with mascara. I curl and then apply one that will add nice volume and grab all of my little lashes. I’m currently using either Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara (at Sephora) or Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes 5 Star Mascara (from Nordstrom).
3. Brows Brows is one of the first steps that I’ll skip when I’m pressed for time, but really it should be one of the last steps. Filling in my brows a little with my favorite pencil, the It Cosmetics Your Brows But Better Brow Power Skinny Pencil (from ULTA), only takes about a minute and really does make me look much more pulled together. Sometimes I’ll add a little Too Faced Instant Attitude Brow Lift (from Too Faced) right under my brow.
4. Face Once my eyes are done, it’s time to fix the rest of my face! I’ve found that by spending more time on my eyes, I actually end up using a lot less product on my face, and I end up looking better. I already have a little bit of coverage from my tinted moisturizer, so now I go after any problem areas.
Blending is usually necessary with concealer, mostly because I like those very pigmented concealers! I love my BeautyBlender (at Sephora). I just pounce it up and down over the area very quickly, the blending is fast and looks a lot better than when I use a brush.
Next I apply blush to the apples of my cheeks. Lately I’ve been in love with the It Cosmetics CC+ Radiance Palette (at ULTA). Another great option is the Urban Decay Naked Flushed in Native (at Sephora), a very pretty pink. Both of these palettes have blush, highlighter/illuminator and bronzer. I usually use the blush on my cheeks first then tap into the illuminator/highlighter, a tiny bit of the blush, and I go all over my face. You can’t really see shimmer or color from this quick sweep on my forehead, nose and chin, but it really brightens my look!
Once my blush is on, I apply a little powder to my t-zone. Usually MAC Blot Powder (from Nordstrom). This tones down the blush quite a bit, so I sometimes add a little more over the powder. I’ve found that layering my blush under and over the powder adds a lot of time to the wear.
Finally, I add a little highlighter! This finishing step isn’t something that shows up in pics, but in person makes me look much more awake. I’ve been using the RMS Beauty Living Luminizer (from J Crew) in my inner eye corner, on my cheek bones and down the center of my nose.
5. Lips By this point, I’ve usually run out of time. Since I’ve already applied some basic balm, my lips are already moisturized. Then I’ll run around all day with a tinted lippie or balm in my pocket and just apply as needed. My current absolute favorite is the Yves Saint Laurent Volupté Tint-In-Oil (from Sephora) in I Rose for You. It feels very hydrating and goes on looking basically clear. Over a few minutes it gets a bit darker. I think it’s really easy to just swipe on whenever I need some.
I have this routine down so that it really does take roughly 10 minutes start to finish! What’s your go-to makeup look when you don’t have a lot of time?