So, I’m not usually a matte eye shadow girl. I always think it is just kind of… boring. I want a little shimmer. Not a lot, but a little. Something to catch a little light. I usually use some satin and shimmer shadow in every eye look.
And then I read on someone’s blog (or maybe it was a YouTube video? I think that was more likely) that some makeup artist claimed any shimmer on the lids was tacky. Tacky. WHAT?? I argue that’s wrong. I certainly don’t bling myself out like a disco ball on the regular.
But this stuck with me. So, I started to break out a few matte shadows that I had at home. They were, as expected, a bit… blah. Boring.
Then It Cosmetics (one of my favorite brands, I truly believe they can do no wrong), sent me an unexpected box. And inside was this cute little palette of essential shadows. And they say they are pretty! It’s there, in the name! And if things are too matte for me, then I can always add a little of their transforming pearl shadow.
This little palette really is just what it says, 6 essential eye shadow colors that most women need. You can use them on their own or as the basis for a look, they’re the colors that will highlight your eye, be an all over base color, go in your crease or can be used as a liner.
What sets this little palette apart is the shadow to the far right, the one that doesn’t really show up at all on my arm. It’s a shadow that you can mix with any of the others to add enough shimmer to make that matte into a satin finish.
Here’s how It describes each of the shadows:
• Imagine: Matte silk beige
• Wonder: Matte nude khaki
• Dream: Matte desert sand
• Passion: Matte nude taupe
• Intrigue: Matte earthy sepia
• Allure: Matte smoky gray
• Transforming Hello Light: Radiant pearl
All of the shadows are a little bit velvety, not very powdery. I think they are well pigmented, and they blend very easily. I always use primer, and I’ve found they look great at the end of the day without creasing or fading.
When using the Transforming Hello Light, I typically will dip my brush into both the shadow and the Hello Light, I alternate between them, and they mix together on my lid. And the shadow really does turn to more of a satin finish.
What would an eyeshadow palette review be without sharing a look! This is just a quick peek at how I typically wear these shadows.
1) I start with a primed lid, I grab a fluff brush and use Imagine, mixed with a lot of Hello Light, over my brow bone, down towards my crease. I’m just highlighting the area.
2) Next, I use Dream, mixed with a little Hello Light, on my entire mobile lid, a little bit up and over the natural crease. I do this with a fluff brush for a light application all over.
3) Finally, I add a bit of definition to my eye with Intrigue. I use a smaller crease brush and apply the shadow just over my natural crease and down into the outer V of my lid. I blend it a bit with a blending brush.
4) I then line my eyes on the top and bottom with a brown liner. I dipped a smudge brush into Intrigue and the Hello Light and used that to blend the liner to soften the look a bit.
5) Finally, I curled my lashes like crazy and applied 2 coats of mascara, here I’m wearing It Cosmetics Superhero Mascara
The rest of my look is pretty simple, a light layer of It Cosmetics CC Cream, my brows are enhanced with my beloved Brow Power, Bye Bye Pores Blush in Je Ne Sais Quoi and my Tory Burch lipstick in Ramble on Rose (in person it’s a tad darker).
What do you think? Are you a matte, satin or shimmer shadow lover?
You can buy the It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Essentials Shadow Palette at It Cosmetics, or Amazon
Product Sent for Review, Affiliate Links