I’ve written a lot about sunscreens in the past, and but somehow there is a sunscreen topic I have never covered. How should you protect your hair from the sun? Is it good to just use a regular sunscreen in your hair or are there special sunscreens for hair?
Yes, you should definitely be protecting your hair from UV rays every time you go out in the sun, especially if you color your hair! UV exposure will damage your hair and fade hair color.
Avoiding the sun completely is obviously the best option, but let’s face it, you want to go outside sometimes, right? You can also seek shelter under shade, wear UV protectant hats (they’ll help protect your face from the sun as well), but a sunscreen for your hair is also a great idea!
Unlike sunscreens for your body, there isn’t a current universal system in place to measure how much protection your hair is getting with a sunscreen. So there aren’t really numbers like SPF to follow along. You just have to assume that the products you are using are protecting your hair.
Note, most sunscreens for your face/body can also be used in your hair. If you want to do this, I recommend diluting them into a spray bottle of water and spraying into your hair. Note that your hair will likely feel a bit greasy when using a skin sunscreen, but the products will protect your hair just as they protect your skin.
Don’t forget, while you’re spraying your hair to protect your color, you should also make sure you’re protecting the skin in your part! I recommend using a lotion or stick sunscreen and patting with your fingertip to blend it into your skin.
1. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ For Face/Body: This high SPF spray is formulated for use on your skin and in your hair. I love that it is water, sweat and oil resistant, so it will stay put through almost anything!
2. DryBar Hot Toddy Heat & UV Protectant: If you have split ends, this is the cream for you! It will seal the split ends closed while protecting your hair from UV and heat damage.
3. Klorane Mango Oil: This oil smells amazing while offering waterproof protection for your hair.
4. Alterna CAVIAR CC Cream for Hair 10-in-1 Complete Correction: This cult favorite all in one styling and protecting cream has been a best seller for years! I love that it smooths an strengthens hair while protecting it from almost everything.
5. Coola Organic Scalp & Hair Mist SPF 30: This sunscreen has enough SPF to do a good job of protecting your scalp as well as your hair. I love that the formulation also includes antioxidants to help protect against oxidant damage caused by the sun.
6. Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer: This blended oil is a big favorite backstage at Fashion Week! It strengthens and protects your hair while softening hair and preventing damage.
7. CHI Total Protect: While this product protects your hair from both heat and UV exposure, it builds strength with silk that builds onto your hair’s structure, adding strength.
8. Rene Furterer Solaire Protective Summer Oil: This special blend of grapefruit, apricot, coconut and jasmine will protect your hair from the sun while keeping moisture locked into your hair, preventing the dreaded end of summer straw hair!