I’m a big fan of lightweight coverage that makes my skin look better. In the past that meant a medium to full coverage foundation, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that I look much better in lighter coverage, and I’m moving towards only BB Creams. It isn’t necessarily because I’m trying to avoid having foundation settle into fine lines or wrinkles (I don’t really have many for 38), but it’s because I think the heavier coverage ages me. This didn’t happen when I was younger, but it definitely seems to be an issue now that I’m in my late 30s.
So, here are the coverage products that I’m using the most recently. And yes, I’ve also been finding that investing more money in coverage products is really worth it!
1. Yves Saint Laurent Top Secrets All-In-One BB Cream Skintone Corrector (buy it from Sephora, Nordstrom, or YSL) This is the BB Cream that I reach for about 90% of the time. It offers light to medium coverage, and the clear (yes!) shade is a perfect match for my skin. I’ve found that it’s just the right amount of moisturizer for my combination skin. I use only about the size of a large pea, gently patting it all over my face and concentrating in the center of my face.
2. Bobbi Brown CC Cream (buy it from Bobbi Brown, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s) Not really a coverage product, instead the CC Cream from Bobbi Brown is meant to even out any skin imperfections and make you look like your own skin is better (and therefore less deserving of foundation!) I use Blushed Nude, usually I mix in just a little bit of my Clarins Instant concealer and spread it over my YSL BB Cream. The result is perfect looking glowy skin that looks great all day!
3. Urban Decay Naked Skin Liquid Foundation (buy it from Nordstrom, Urban Decay, Sephora or Macy’s) When I reach for a liquid foundation, this is one of my favorites. It is medium coverage that is easily layered for more coverage, and very lightweight and natural looking. It’s been a best seller for years for a good reason!
4. Bobbi Brown BB Cream (buy it from Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy’s, or Bobbi Brown) This BB cream from Bobbi Brown has just a tad more coverage than the YSL and is available in many more shades than my YSL. I use Light.
5. Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Powder Foundation (buy it from Nordstrom, Macy’s, Sephora or Urban Decay) I don’t really use this as foundation, instead this is one of the powders that I reach for most often for setting my BB Cream. However, it is super finely milled (I can’t see it on my skin at all) and it does offer some medium coverage that is buildable. I usually just use a very light dusting but sometimes when I’m done with my makeup and wish I had more coverage I’ll just add a bit more.
6. Lancôme Miracle Cushion Liquid Cushion Compact Foundation (buy it from Nordstrom, Sephora, Lancôme or Macy’s) This is super lightweight light to medium coverage that is buildable and blends perfectly. Check out my Miracle Cushion review for more information.
7. L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation (buy it from Amazon, ULTA or Target) It’s amazing how expensive some of the products in this post are, and here it is. A $12 foundation! L’Oreal sent me 2 tubes of this foundation back when they released it months and months ago, but they were both much too dark for my skin, so I gave them away to friends. And then I heard about the foundation and how great it is for a long time. A few weeks ago I bought 2 shades when I was on a much needed Target run, Classic Ivory 101 and Shell Beige 102 (I seem to be 101.5 in L’Oreal shades, I have to mix them together). And OMG. My friends were right. This is a great foundation! It is a medium coverage that blends easily, covers naturally and I had no issues with oxidation changing the shade of my foundation hours later. It’s a semi-matte finish, which meant for once I didn’t look shiny in the middle of the afternoon without a touch up. I love it!
8. It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream (buy it from Beauty.com, ULTA, It Cosmetics) This BB Cream is really more of a creamy, hydrating and easy to blend medium coverage foundation than a BB Cream. I just wish it came in more shades!
9. Yves Saint Laurent Fusion Ink Foundation (buy it from Sephora, YSL, or Nordstrom) This is my favorite of the new super lightweight serum foundations. This one blends well, and seems to melt into my skin (rather than just sitting on the surface like a few others). I haven’t found a perfect match for my skin so I actually have 2 bottles and mix them together for a perfect match on the back of my hand. Check out my Yves Saint Laurent Fusion Ink Foundation review.