Joan Smalls’ hit the red-carpet at the WSJ. Magazine 2014 “Innovator of the Year” Awards at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City on November 5, 2014, and her hair was all kinds of amazing! It was created by Jennifer Yepez of The Wall Group, here’s how she created the look, which I think is perfect for day or night! You could easily wear this style to work, brunch, out with friends…
1. Start by applying René Furterer Volumea Volumizing Foam to wet hair, from roots to tips.
2. Spray hair with René Furterer Lissea Thermal Protecting Spray, a lightweight thermal protecting spray.
3. For curly or wavy hair, use a big round brush to blow dry hair section-by-section the hair. For straight hair, just rough dry the hair with your hands until it’s completely dry. Shown: T3 Featherweight 2 blow dryer
4. Starting at the back of your hair, take a section and pin the rest of your hair up (shown, Sephora Hold it Together Blow Dry Clips, they have an alligator shape that holds a lot of hair at one time). Using a 1-inch curling iron (shown, Drybar The 3-Day Bender 1″ Barrel Curling Iron), curl your hair from mid-shaft down, keeping the ends of your hair out of the iron. This gives it the undone beachy waves look. Make sure to keep the curling iron vertical to your head to get nice waves. Curl the rest of your hair by unpinning one section at a time.
5. Once the hair is curled, use a wide tooth comb (shown, Sephora Detangling Comb) to comb out your hair into loose waves.
6. Complete the look with René Furterer Vegetal Finishing Spray to smooth out any fly-aways, and then lightly all over to keep waves lasting all night long.
Images: Janet Mayer/PRPhotos.com and c/o of René Furterer