My hair has been the topic of much discussion lately between a few friends and me. They all have great hair as well, but somehow my extra big hair, which I get without any teasing or backcombing, is something they covet. We’ve been talking about product options, hair drying techniques and any tips that I’ve found over the years for adding volume to my hair when I blow dry it.
When TRESemme asked if I could share a tutorial using their Beauty-Full Volume collection, I knew it was the perfect time to feature my technique for an easy volumized blow out. This collection is my favorite drugstore product line for volume!
Here is how I achieve long lasting volume when I blow dry my hair. You can also check out CVS.com/YourStyleYourWay to find featured looks, videos and products that are right for your hair type this summer.
First, you need products to start! I bought everything I needed at CVS. Note some of the products are in the Styling section, some are in the Shampoo & Conditioner section.
• TRESemme® Beauty-Full Volume Pre-Wash Conditioner and TRESemme® Beauty-Full Volume Pre-Wash Shampoo: This duo is great if you haven’t been able to achieve volume in the past. Yes, the conditioner is first, and then the shampoo. It’s a game changer. They are gentle enough for color treated hair, the shampoo leaves a very light conditioning layer on the hair, but your hair is still fuller and still feels soft and healthy.
• TRESemme® Beauty-Full Volume Hair Maximizer: This is a cream that smooths the hair but has volumizers to help provide bounce and lift. It definitely makes my hair easier to manage.
• TRESemme® Beauty-Full Volume Touchable Bounce Mousse: A light hold mousse that is touchable and doesn’t feel sticky at all. I love that it helps my hair look so much fuller.
• TRESemme® Beauty-Full Volume Flexible Finish Hair Spray: A great flexible hold hairspray! It is really hard to find the right amount of flexible hold that is also touchable. Here’s an affordable option that I’ll be recommending over and over.
I start with using the conditioner and shampoo duo. Once I’m out of the shower with damp hair, I apply 2 of the styling products. You can see that I use about the size of a silver dollar for the Hair Maximizer first, spreading it through my hair from roots to tip. The Mousse gets a very full handful as well. I spread this through all of my hair, but I concentrate at the roots of my hair.
Now it is time to dry my hair. First, you can see what my hair looked like before I started. This was day 3 hair, but it had undergone the same blow drying treatment. It’s just deflated this morning, much less volume than I’ll have once it is all said and done.
Once I have the product in my hair, I start by flipping my head over and blow drying this way. If you can’t take keeping your head upside down until the hair is dry, make sure you start at the roots of your hair. Getting the roots dried with your head upside down will give you the biggest payoff in terms of time and effort. You can then flip your head over and dry the rest of your hair using a brush, pulling the hair up and away from your face.
Once my hair is dry, the real work begins! I take large sections of hair from the top of my head, and hold them straight up. I lightly spray the hair spray at the roots of these sections (both front and back) and then I roll them up into very large sections and secure with a hair sectioning clip. The sections are very large, and I roll them up into about 3-4″ in diameter rolls. You could also use velcro rollers if you want, I just haven’t found any large enough for my hair. Once I have all of the top of my hair pinned up, I go about my business for a bit. Usually I go and do my makeup and put on clothes, this is about 15 minutes or so.
When I come back and take down the pinned rolls, you can see that my hair is big and bouncy, but it is still straight. This is great foundation for curling my hair if I want, or I can leave it straight. When I leave it straight, I do a light misting of hair spray once more to help hold the style into place.
Want to win a $50 Gift Card to CVS to buy these products for yourself? Visit the CVS.com/YourStyleYourWay site and let me know which style you want for yourself! Answer in the comments below with your email address. You have until 6/25 to enter!
If you want to get the look, there are some great deals on these products now!
Get $5 ExtraBucks® Rewards when you spend $15 on participating Dove Hair, Suave Hair and TRESemme® products*
Until June 18:
• $3.00 WITH CARD Select Suave® Hair Care products.
• 2/$8 WITH CARD TRESemme® shampoo, conditioner (28–32 oz.) or select stylers
• 2/$10 WITH CARD Select Tresemme® Premium shampoo, conditioner (9 or 25 oz) or select stylers
• 2/$8 WITH CARD Dove Base Hair Care
• 2/$10 WITH CARD Select Dove Advanced Hair Series shampoo, conditioner or stylers
Valid 6/26 – 7/2
• Buy 1, Get 1 50% OFF WITH CARD All Dove Hair Care products
Check out CVS.com/YourStyleYourWay to find featured looks, videos and products that are right for your hair type this summer.
Post sponsored by Mirum Shopper. Opinions are 100% my own.
*Offer Valid WITH CARD 6/12/16 – 6/18/16. ExtraBucks® Rewards offer limit of 1 per household with card.