Basic Pregnancy Skincare: Safe Products Anyone Can Use

Pregnant Skin Care Safety

Skincare during pregnancy isn’t easy to get right. There are a lot of skin care ingredients that should be avoided during pregnancy. Chances are that great night cream that you’ve used for years, the one that gives you glowy skin? Yeah, you probably can’t use that. Or the miracle gel that erases your pimples almost overnight. Your new anti-aging serum definitely has ingredients you need to avoid as well.

I’ve written about skin care routine adjustments for pregnancy in the past. And yes, you’ll need to make a lot of them while pregnant!

My general philosophy when it comes to pregnancy safe skincare is that you need to pare down to pregnancy safe basics. A simple routine that can work throughout your pregnancy. Because your hormones are going to be shifting all over the place causing fun issues like pimples, hyperpigmentation and dryness. And sometimes all at once! So, basic products you can use the entire time, then swap in treatments for that month’s fun skin issue as you need.

I put together a few routines below, as of the date that I’m writing this (October 9, 2014), the ingredient lists on either the company’s website or my own product that I purchased, was pregnancy friendly and met my criteria for pregnancy safe skincare. I’ve given you a few options when I could in each product category, so you should be able to just pick and chose products that you know work well for you or have features that you like. Don’t forget that there are more options over in my Giant List of Pregnancy Friendly Skincare Products.

Update 1/23/2017: I have reviewed updated ingredients list and links. I’ve crossed out items pictured that I’m worried about for one reason or another, usually a minor change in formulation.

Pregnancy Safe Drugstore Skincare Products via @15MinBeauty

Drugstore Routine

Cleanser
• Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (get it from ULTA or Amazon)
• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser (get it from ULTA or Amazon)
• Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser (buy it from ULTA or Amazon)

Daily Moisturizer
• CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion (buy it at ULTA or Amazon)
• Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Moisturizer (get it at ULTA or Amazon)

Sunscreen
• Aveeno Active Naturals Natural Protection SPF 50 Lotion (get it at Target or Amazon)
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid, SPF 50

Eye Cream
• Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Ageless Lifting & Firming Eye Cream (get it at Amazon)
• Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Eye Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 CC Eye Cream (discontinued)

Night Cream
• Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Ageless Reconditioning Night Cream (get it at Amazon)
• Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Night Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)
• Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Night Recovery Moisturizing Cream (get it at ULTA or Amazon)

Basic Pregnancy Safe Skincare

Higher End Skincare Routine

Cleanser
• Eve Lom Cleanser (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Algenist Purifying & Replenishing Cleanser (get it at Sephora or ULTA)
• Philosophy Purity Made Simple (get it at Sephora or ULTA)
• Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash (get it at ULTA or Amazon)

Daily Moisturizer
• Eve Lom TLC Radiance Cream (get it at Birchbox or Bloomingdale’s)
• SK-II Essential Power Moisturising Cream (only at SK-II)

Sunscreen
• Mario Badescu Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 17 (get it at ULTA, Amazon or Nordstrom)

Eye Cream
• Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• SK-II Skin Signature Eye Cream (only at SK-II)
Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado (get it at Kiehl’s or Nordstrom)

Night Cream
• Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight Cream (get it at Sephora or Nordstrom)
• Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Cream (get it at Kiehl’s or Nordstrom)

Pregnancy Safe Organic Skincare

Organic Skincare Routine

Cleanser
• Pangea Organics Egyptian Calendula & Blood Orange Facial Cleanser (get it at Pangea or Amazon)
• Osmia Organics Black Clay Facial Soap (get it at Osmia)
• Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk (get it at Juice Beauty, ULTA or BirchBox)

Daily Moisturizer
• Pangea Organics Italian Red Mandarin With Rose Facial Cream (get it at Amazon)
• Osmia Organics Purely Simple Face Cream (get it at Osmia)

Sunscreen
• Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer (get it here)
• Yes To Cucumbers Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 (get it here)

Eye Cream
• Juice Beauty Smoothing Eye Concentrate (get it here)
• Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Eye Gel (get it here)

Night Cream
• Juice Beauty Nutrient Moisturizer (get it here)
• Yes to Cucumbers Calming Night Cream (get it here)

Guide to Skin Care while Pregnant or Nursing

Don’t forget to check out the other articles in my Pregnancy and Nursing Skin Care Guide!

Product Sent for Review, I Bought It Myself, Affiliate Links

1. Selin
    August 16, 2017 / 2:18 am

There is vitamin A derivative in kiehls avocado eye cream. Although safe in pregnancy?

August 16, 2017 / 8:31 pm

It’s a beta-carotene so considered ok

2. YMALI
    August 18, 2017 / 11:33 pm

Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer has alguronic acid. Is the acid safe during pregnancy ?

August 19, 2017 / 7:49 am

It is, it’s not one of the acid types we worry about

• YMALI
        August 19, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Thank you !!!

3. Beatrice
    August 23, 2017 / 10:55 pm

Hi! Are all Olay regenerists completely safe? Thanks!!

August 25, 2017 / 9:11 am

Not all of them! They do slight tweaks to the formula often, and it actually varies a bit by country.

4. Sara
    October 1, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Thank you SO much! I’ve been looking for a basic list such as this for weeks now. It’s straight forward to the point and tells me just when I need to know. Thank you!

5. Lisa
    October 17, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Do you happen to know if the Kiehls midnight recovery concentrate is safe to use during pregnancy? It appears to be all different oils… TOO many to look up individually 😳

October 17, 2017 / 1:38 pm

It’s fine! I used it throughout both of my pregnancies, and I probably have 3 bottles of it in my drawer at home. I keep buying it whenever i see it on sale, I’m obsessed!

• Evonne
        November 12, 2017 / 10:15 am

I read that Jasmin oil is one of the essential oils to avoid during pregnancy. Kiehls midnight recovery concentrate has Jasmin extract. Just wanted to double check that it’s still safe to use. Also, is it safe to use vitamin c serum, Kiehls rose arctica lightweight cream and clarins double serum?

November 13, 2017 / 8:50 pm

I’ve never found references re: jasmine oil needing to be avoided during pregnancy. I don’t have lists for the clarins and I’m not sure which vitamin c serum you are referring to, so I won’t comment on those. The rosa arctica cream is ok to use.

• JG
          January 23, 2018 / 4:41 pm

Kiehls midnight recovery has roaemary and jasmine which I was told to avoid

January 23, 2018 / 5:01 pm

I’ve never heard anything about avoiding either of those oils and can’t find references to support that.

• Summer
        December 29, 2017 / 12:14 am

How about keihls dark spot corrective serum ? Can i use it during my pregnancy ?

December 29, 2017 / 10:51 am

Sadly no, it’s fine for post-pregnancy but not while pregnant. If a brand is here on the list I’ve gone through ALL of their products and only listed the safe ones. I’ll edit the post to say that 🙂

December 29, 2017 / 10:53 am

LOL And I was replying on the back end and thought I was on the post with the giant lists of products. You might want to check that one out it’s here

6. Era May Banayag
    November 19, 2017 / 3:46 am

Hi..Is the olay day cream complete safe during pregnancy? I saw there is some paraben in the ingredients..And how about the bio oil can I use it in my face aswell? Thank you!

November 23, 2017 / 5:30 pm

The Olay Complete as listed HERE looks fine to me. Parabens are widely considered safe by the medical community, they have NOT been proven to cause cancer. In fact, parabens are naturally found, so if you’re avoiding them you’ll need to stop eating blueberries.

BioOil is something you should avoid in pregnancy, it has a retinoid in it.

7. Meg
    November 28, 2017 / 10:51 pm

Are all Burts Bee’s products safe during pregnancy?

November 30, 2017 / 9:43 pm

Not all.

8. Leena
    November 30, 2017 / 6:47 am

Cetaphil gentle cleanser contains parabens ..is it really safe during pregnency?

November 30, 2017 / 9:43 pm

Yes, parabens are safe! The medical community currently has no evidence to suggest otherwise. They’re naturally occurring in blueberries even.

9. siri
    December 17, 2017 / 12:21 am

Are SK2 Products are safe during pregnancy?
    I have been using Facial Treatment Essence and SK-II Facial Treatment Mask and moisturizer.

December 17, 2017 / 4:21 pm

The ingredient lists for those products are very difficult to find, so I can’t comment.

10. B
    January 2, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Hi! Why did you cross off the kiehls creamy eye treatment? Is it not safe?

January 6, 2018 / 10:06 am

They had a reformulation that added a salicylate to the formulation, so I can no longer recommend it. Too bad, I had previously used the product while I was pregnant myself.

11. Ania
    January 6, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Is Kiehl’s ultra facial oil-free lotion safe during pregnancy? I appreciate your help!

12. Katie
    January 24, 2018 / 2:56 pm

The Aveeno reconditioning night cream listed above says it has alpha hydroxyl acids in it. I thought those were not pregnancy safe.

• Katie
      January 24, 2018 / 2:57 pm

*alpha hydroxy acids*

January 24, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Where did you see that list? The ingredient list I reviewed didn’t have anything that was of concern, but when they update a formula sometimes it takes a while for the update to hit the stores websites. There are a few AHAs that are ok, citric and lactic acid.

January 24, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Here’s the ingredient list I have, only a possibility of Citric acid is mentioned.

Water , Cetyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Phenyl Trimethicone , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Cyclopentasiloxane , Stearyl Heptanoate , Ganoderma Lucidum Stem Extract Mushroom , Lentinus Edodes Extract Shiitake Mushroom , Mucor Miehei Extract , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Butyrospermum Parkii Shea Butter , Maurita Flexuosa Fruit Oil , Glyceryl Stearate , Polyacrylate-13 , Stearyl Caprylate , Phenoxyethanol , PEG-75 Stearate , Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate , Polyisobutene , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Xanthan Gum , Calcium Chloride , Sodium Citrate , 1,2-Hexanediol , Caprylyl Glycol , Butylene Glycol , Ceteth-20 , Steareth-20 , Magnesium Aluminum Silicate , Polysorbate 20 , Algae Extract. May also contain: Citric Acid.

• Katie
            January 25, 2018 / 12:06 pm

Thank you for your reply! When I click on the link above, it takes me to the product for sale on Amazon. One pic shows the back of the box, and underneath the ingredient list you quoted above, the box reads, “Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.” Is that just a reference to the citric acid? Thanks so much!

January 25, 2018 / 7:18 pm

Yes, that must be just for the citric acid, because I don’t see another one listed there. I think they have to list that if there’s even the chance of an AHA now.

13. Meital
    February 7, 2018 / 5:25 am

Does Kiehls turmeric and cranberry seed mask is safe to use during pregnancy?

February 7, 2018 / 8:42 am

I can’t comment on that as the full ingredient list is not available online

February 7, 2018 / 8:48 am

The Body Shop’s website doesn’t have the full ingredient list. I did find this list on the ULTA website, and if this list is correct it has a salicylate in it and I wouldn’t recommend it.

14. Carolina
    February 12, 2018 / 1:52 am

I’ve been using Ultimate Miracle Worker the cream for day and retinol pads and I’m concerned 🙁
    I’m already 6 months pregnant and the baby is fine.
    Should I keep using this products?

February 12, 2018 / 3:47 pm

there are a lot of women who don’t even think about it and use “unsafe” skincare without realizing it for their entire pregnancy. However, I would recommend changing now that you know. There are always so many “if only I had…” things that women feel guilty about later, it’s better to minimize those if you can!

15. Maclyn
    February 13, 2018 / 6:35 am

is olay total effects night cream safe to use for pregnant women like me?

February 23, 2018 / 9:39 am

There are a lot of variations of that cream just in the US alone and then internationally even more, I can’t comment without knowing which specific cream you mean.