For the last week or so I've received hundreds of "get the look" emails with backstage information and pics, all straight from the runways of New York Fashion Week. Some of the looks are decidedly perfect for the runways, and would look not right in the "real" world. But some of the looks are perfect for every day life, or maybe a special occasion.
Today I wanted to share this low retro ponytail, the extra volume and contained perfect messiness seem perfect for a fun night out or a party.
This look was created by stylist Tammy Mixon for the Sherri Hill Spring/Summer 2015 Collection using the new CHI Miss Universe Style Illuminate line, “I designed this hairstyle to allow the dresses by Sherri Hill to stand out. Since it is her Spring/Summer Collection, I wanted a look that would be universal but fresh looking.”
What You'll Need:
• CHI Miss Universe Style Illuminate Flexible Hair Spray
• CHI Miss Universe 1 1/4" Curling Iron
• CHI Miss Universe Style Illuminate Restage Dry Shampoo (alternative here)
• CHI Miss Universe Style Illuminate Rock Your Crown Firm Hair Spray
How to Get The Look:
1. Begin the look at the top creating a side diagonal part.
2. Starting at your crown, take 1” sections and spray with Flexible Hair Spray, then curl the section and leave the last 1-2" of the hair free. Release the curl and hold it in your hand for a few seconds while it cools, then clip it up to hold the curl while it finishes cooling.
3. After the hair has cooled, remove pins and brush lightly to release the curls.
4. Next with your fingers lift multiple sections throughout the head spraying each one lightly with Dry Shampoo for texture.
5. At the back of the head, part-off a triangle section from the crown to the nape. Back brush this section loosely and allow the hair to fall naturally.
6. Leaving this triangle section free, begin to gently back brush the top and sides for volume smoothing the surface with your fingers allowing any shorter sections to cascade around the face naturally.
7. With your fingers, begin to comb the hair back including the sides and create a low ponytail. The key to this style is keeping the triangle section out of the ponytail. Leaving this free adds length and fullness to the pony. While styling, also make sure to keep the volume, texture and fullness. Use your fingers to piece and pull small sections. Secure with a rubber band.
8. To hide the elastic tie, take a small section from underneath and wrap around to cover. Spray with Firm Hair Spray.
9. To finish, back brush the triangle section from underneath and also back brush the ponytail blending the two together for fullness. Arrange pieces and spray with Firm Hair Spray.