This look was created by stylist Tammy Mixon for the Sherri Hill Spring/Summer 2015 Collection, “I designed this hairstyle to allow the dresses by Sherri Hill to stand out. Since it is her Spring/Summer Collection, I wanted a look that would be universal but fresh looking.” I love how voluminous this low ponytail is, it could be easy to dress up or down all summer long!
What You’ll Need:
Note, this look was originally created with products from CHI Miss Universe Style Illuminate line, which is no longer available. I’m suggesting a few of my favorite alternatives at multiple price points.
• Flexible Hair Spray: Oribe Superfine Hair Spray, Tresemee Level 1 Flexible Hold Hairspray
• 1 1/4″ Curling Iron: Hot Tools 1 1/4″ Curling Iron,
The Beachwaver Co. Beachwaver Pro 1.25 Curling Iron
• Dry Shampoo: R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo, Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo
• Firm Hair Spray: Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray, L’Oreal Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold Hair Spray
How to Get The Look:
1. Begin the look at the top creating a side diagonal part.
2. Starting at your crown, take 1” sections and spray with Flexible Hair Spray, then curl the section and leave the last 1-2″ of the hair free. Release the curl and hold it in your hand for a few seconds while it cools, then clip it up to hold the curl while it finishes cooling.
3. After the hair has cooled, remove pins and brush lightly to release the curls.
4. Next with your fingers lift multiple sections throughout the head spraying each one lightly with Dry Shampoo for texture.
5. At the back of the head, part-off a triangle section from the crown to the nape. Back brush this section loosely and allow the hair to fall naturally.
6. Leaving this triangle section free, begin to gently back brush the top and sides for volume smoothing the surface with your fingers allowing any shorter sections to cascade around the face naturally.
7. With your fingers, begin to comb the hair back including the sides and create a low ponytail. The key to this style is keeping the triangle section out of the ponytail. Leaving this free adds length and fullness to the pony. While styling, also make sure to keep the volume, texture and fullness. Use your fingers to piece and pull small sections. Secure with a rubber band.
8. To hide the elastic tie, take a small section from underneath and wrap around to cover. Spray with Firm Hair Spray.
9. To finish, back brush the triangle section from underneath and also back brush the ponytail blending the two together for fullness. Arrange pieces and spray with Firm Hair Spray.
More hair and makeup tutorials from the Red Carpet and Runway!