While I keep saying that contouring is “out”, the truth is that most of us do a little contouring every now and then! Today for Makeup Wars, my beauty blogging friends and I are sharing our favorite highlighters and contours! In theory we’re sharing our favorite creams, but I don’t really use just creams, I also have liquids and powders.
When using highlighters, I have a couple of different tactics I take.
First, if I feel like my skin is a bit lackluster, I might add a little highlighter into my moisturizer, foundation, or BB Cream. Usually I use the Armani for this as it is more subtle, so better for all over shimmer, but a little bit of the L’Oreal also works really well. You don’t want to turn into a disco ball, but just a very small amount can make a big difference!
Second, I like to use a highlighter in very directed areas to catch a little light but without being really shimmery. On my cheekbone, a little on the bow of my lip (which does help my small lips look fuller), the inner corner of my eye, and my brow bone. I like a light shimmer in all of those places except for my brow bone, which I prefer is just lighter than surrounding areas, I like a matte or satin finish there.
1. L’Oreal Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator (at Amazon or ULTA): This is the most shimmery option here, if you’re going to apply it all over use a very light hand and mix it into something. I think it works best for more targeted areas like the brow bone.
3. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer (at Nordstrom): Apparently this is Giselle’s favorite. It is great to dip a finger in and tap it along your cheek bone or inner eye. I’ve had the same jar for almost 2 years, it lasts forever!
4. Anastasia Highlighting Duo Pencil (at Anastasia, Sephora or Nordstrom): I’m actually using a very similar Too Faced pencil right now, but it’s been discontinued. I have this Duo from Anastasia also, and I love how it has 2 ends. I use the matte end on my brow bone, just draw it under the brow and then blend with a fingertip! I draw the shimmer end into my inner eye and then tap with my finger to blend a bit.
Both Highlight and Contour
5. NYX Wonder Stick (at Amazon or ULTA): This is very easy to use, they are matte creams and you just draw where you want to highlight or contour and then blend. I use this for travel sometimes because it is so compact.
6. Maskcara Contour in Walnut (at Maskcara): I don’t contour my nose very often, but when I do I reach for this cream from Maskcara. It’s the perfect shade, easy to blend and it stays put on my oily nose.
Usually when I’m “contouring” I’m just using a little matte bronzer underneath my blush. It does add a lot of definition and is subtle, I blend it out a bit when applying powder afterwards. At home, I use the Too Faced powder a lot, but Bobbi Brown also works great and comes in a wider range of shades. Finally, I do have the NARS Contour Blush as well, and the shade is similar but the pigmentation level is definitely higher! I need to use a much lighter hand when I use this blush. I have it in my NARS Pro Palette that I take with me when I travel. It comes with a highlighter shade, but it is basically the same color as my skin, so I only use the contour.
What are your favorite highlighting and contour products?