Sam Villa is the Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue and has created his own Sam Villa brand in addition to traveling the world teaching other stylists how to finish hair to perfection. So, you know he has great tips on how to make your hair look salon perfect at home!
“When people tell me they can’t get their hair to look like it does when their stylists finish it, I tell them that it’s easier for the stylist because they’re behind in a natural position, facing the head. Most people blowdry their hair in front of a mirror, which makes everything opposite. I suggest getting hair on the brush and then turning away from the mirror to do the blowdry,” says Villa.
Tricks of the Trade
• To prevent frizz, reach for an old tee shirt instead of a fluffy towel to thoroughly squeeze out the excess moisture without roughing up the cuticle.
• Detangle hair by working from the bottom up.
• Product is a necessity. Use mousse for volume, lotion for hair that’s smooth and touchable or gel for lift and definition.
• A boar-bristle brush will distribute the natural oils throughout the hair and give a smooth finish.
• Stand up, because your body will have more flexibility than when you’re sitting down.
• If you work with a round brush, section off the hair and start at the bottom. Between sections, put down the blowdryer so you have both hands to get the hair on the brush.
• If your hair is color-treated, set your thermal tools on medium to keep the cuticle closed and maintain the color longer.
For naturally curly hair
• Comb out hair with a large-tooth comb.
• Before using a mousse or gel, apply a leave-in conditioner.
• To maintain the curl, clamp hair with clips at the base to provide lift; then let hair dry naturally or use a diffuser to dry it.
“The last thing I recommend to clients is that if they’re having a “bad hair day,” just start over! Spritz the hair with a water bottle and adjust the top surface. Investing just a few minutes will turn things around to have a great hair day,” says Villa.