Today, I’m sharing a few dry shampoos that are safe to use while pregnant! I have a huge list of list of pregnancy safe brands, but one of my most requested product specific topics has been a list of dry shampoos. This list isn’t exhaustive, and you’ll almost always find the most up to date information from the brand specific pages.
Which hair products do you need to worry about?
Technically, none. Most OBs will tell you not to worry about any hair products. Your hair is a dead protein, and it can not absorb anything. It’s amazing how pregnancy brain can take over and we forget that simple fact!
Personally, I screened products that would sit on my scalp for a few minutes (aka- shampoos, scrubs, etc). My thought process was that those products would be similar to a face wash, even if washed off right away it sits there for a bit. So, on this list you’ll find products that sit on your scalp. This is shampoo, scalp treatments and root styling products. Other styling products should just be on the hair shaft, and if you’re worried about sprays being inhaled, I recommend holding your breath while you spray and then step away a few feet. Conditioner and treatment masques don’t usually touch your scalp, though I have screened a few masques that people sometimes apply up to their roots. If you apply any of these further from the scalp, they’re all safe (even if I screened them as not safe).
What About Inhaling Dry Shampoo?
Obviously, I’m assuming you’re applying these products directly to your hair. But, regardless of your pregnancy/nursing status, I strongly believe no one should be breathing products. Personally, I hold my breath while I spray a product, then step away at least 6-8 feet before I take a breath. I recommend this for hair products, perfume, spray sunscreens… anything that can be aerosolized. I recommend this because as a pediatric ICU doctor I’ve taken care of several kids admitted to my ICU with severe asthma due to some of these products. So, please be cautious!
Pregnancy and Nursing Safe Drugstore Dry Shampoos
• Aussie Total Miracle Collection 7N1 Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• Aussie Tousle Hustle Texturizing Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• Batiste Dry Shampoo, Beautiful Brunette (at Walmart)
• Batiste Dry Shampoo, Divine Dark (at Walmart)
• Batiste Dry Shampoo, Original (at Walmart)
• Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo Detox and Purify (at Walmart)
• Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo Fresh Coconut (at Walmart)
• Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo Volume and Fullness (at Walmart)
• Garnier Invisible Dry Shampoo, Coco Colada (at Walmart)
• Garnier Invisible Dry Shampoo, Melon-Tini (at Walmart)
• Hairitage Lazy Day Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Cleanse Dry Shampoo, White Strawberry & Sweet Mint (at Walmart)
• Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Refresh Dry Shampoo, Blue Ginger (at Walmart)
• Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Volume Dry Shampoo, White Grapefruit & Mint (at Walmart)
• Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Original Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• Not Your Mother’s Plump for Joy Volumizing Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• OGX Thick & Full + Biotin & Collagen Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
• TRESemmé Between Washes Dry Shampoo (at Walmart)
Not Safe for Pregnancy, Ok for Nursing
Not Safe for Pregnancy or Nursing