I’ve been getting more questions about pregnancy safe deodorant and antiperspirants as part of my pregnancy safe skincare series. It can be uncomfortable enough being pregnant, but who wants to be pregnant, sweaty and smelly? Not me!
The first thing to discuss regarding antiperspirants is whether to use Aluminum Salts in your formulation. The biggest concern is obviously the “link” with illnesses such as Breast Cancer or Alzheimer’s. But… is there really a link? It turns out that there are a few studies that have linked Aluminum (not necessarily even in an antiperspirant) to those diseases. However, subsequent studies have not found the same links, so we currently believe the data is inconclusive. In addition, physicians believe that it is nearly impossible to expose yourself to enough Aluminum to see the same effects as seen in rat models. I found a good overview of how Aluminum Salts work in antiperspirant and the data behind the links in this post.
Personally, I used regular, Aluminum containing antiperspirant throughout my pregnancies and I continue to do so every day. If you don’t feel comfortable using Aluminum, then it is easy to avoid.
So, when looking for a pregnancy safe antiperspirant or deodorant, you really only need to keep the same guidelines in mind as when looking for pregnancy safe skincare. I’ve compiled a list of products that are fine to use.
How to Request a Product Review
This list is not an exhaustive list of pregnancy safe deodorants. This is a list of products that should be easily found or ordered online, hopefully they will make your life easier! Please note that many brands have a lot of different formulations, and many brands use slight variations on the same name for different products. This list is not exhaustive, it’s just a list of commonly found products.
I have now purposefully turned off the comments on this post. If your product is not here, please look for the brand in my list of brands that I have reviewed for pregnancy and nursing safety. If the brand is listed, ask about your product on the brand page. If not, please ask on the main brand page. Note, the brand pages are usually the most up to date, the round ups do not get updated routinely. So in the case of a conflict, the brand page should win.
• Boscia Charcoal Deodorant A Natural Talc-Free Powder Spray
• Clean Reserve Classic – Shower Fresh Deodorant
• Dermadoctor Total Nonscents® Ultra-Gentle Brightening Antiperspirant
• Donna Karen Cashmere Mist Deodorant
• Farmacy Freshen Up All-Natural Deodorant
• Fresh Sugar Roll-on Deodorant Antiperspirant
• Jack Black Cool CTRL™ Natural Deodorant
• Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant & Deodorant
• Kopari Coconut Deodorant
• L’Occitane Cedrat Deodorant
• L’Occitane Refreshing Aromatic Deodorant
• Lululemon Selfcare Anti-Stink Deodorant: Aloe Lotus, Black Pepper Sandalwood
• Qhemet Biologics Sedge & Bee Natural Deodorant with Coconut Oil
• Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh Scent
• Secret Clinical Strength Antiperspirant and Deodorant for Women Invisible Solid: Completely Clean,
Clean Lavender, Fresh Burst, Powder Protection, Waterproof, Sensitive Unscented
• Secret Fresh Antiperspirant and Deodorant Clear Gel: Boho Berry, Classic Cocoa Butter, Hawaii Citrus, Luxe Lavender, Paris Rose, Pasion de Tango, Summer Berry, Va Va Vanilla
• Secret Invisible Solid Antiperspirant and Deodorant: Berry Fresh, Clean Lavender Scent, Powder Fresh Scent, Shower Fresh Scent, Spring Breeze Scent
• Secret Outlast Clear Gel Antiperspirant Deodorant for Women: Clean Lavendar, Completely Clean, Protecting Powder
• Secret Outlast Invisible Solid Antiperspirant Deodorant for Women, Completely Clean
• Secret Outlast Xtend Technology Invisible Solid Antiperspirant and Deodorant Completely Clean
• Secret Powder Fresh Wide Solid Antiperspirant and Deodorant
• Tarte Clean Queen Vegan Deodorant
• Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Deodorant Stick
• Tom Ford Noir Deodorant Stick
• Tom Ford Oud Wood All Over Body Spray
• Tom Ford Oud Wood Deodorant Stick
Not Safe for Pregnancy, Ok for Nursing
• Biossance Squalane + Bamboo Deodorant: Licorice Root
• Origins No Offense Alcohol and Aluminum Free Deodorant: Salicylate