Dita Von Teese has a look that she doesn’t deviate from often, but she really knows how to rock it and I think she looks amazing.
Celebrity hairstylist John Blaine, creative director of Obliphica Professional, recently gave Dita her signature retroglam curls for the NAHAs (North American Hairstyling Awards) at Mandalay Bay, July 14. He shared his tips for how to create the look, with the products that Dita uses on herself as well.
1. “All beautiful styles start with healthy hair,” says John.
2. To get maximum shine and long lasting waves, prep your hair with a moisturizing, replenishing, and UV protecting shampoo and conditioner. John recommends (and Dita uses) Obliphica Professional’s Intensive Nourisging Shampoo and Hair Mask.
3. Mix two drops of Obliphica Professional’s Treatment Serum with your favorite styling cream and evenly distribute throughout damp locks. This will help soften your hair while adding extra shine and hold without stiffness. If you don’t have a favorite styling product, the Treatment Serum works great by itself.
3. Blow dry two-inch sections with a boar bristle round brush. Begin with under-most layers of the hair, curling the brush under the strands to create a voluminous bounce and inward curl at the ends.
4. If you want to be authentic, use rollers! Take one inch sections of hair and wrap them around curling barrels no bigger than 1 inch. John’s secret tip: The section of hair should never exceed the size of the rollers.
5. Beginning at the front of your head and at the level of your temple, place the roller under the one-inch section and begin rolling downwardt oward your tips.
6. Hold in place using a bobby pin or clip, and spritz a small amount of heat activated hairspray to the curl.
7. Repeat steps five and six with the lower layers of your hair.
8. As you move toward the back of your head, begin to strategically drop the starting point of your roller to create a continuos diagonal wave.
9. Once your head is crowned in rollers, set the curls by using a hairdryer on low. This will activate the hairspray for long lasting hold.
10. Gently remove the rollers one by one, beginning at the undermost layers, and apply one last light layer of hairspray for hold.
11. Add another dime sized amount of Treatment Serum to locks before brushing out the curls.
12. Brush out curls. John always uses a Mason Pearson brush.
13. Use a bobby pin to pull back a wave or two, or pin a tight curl above the ear.
John Blaine is one of the most sought after hairstylists in the industry. John’s work has been published in all major fashion magazines including national and international editions of Vogue, Glamour, Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, and Elle. Blaine has styled the hair for many print and commercial advertising clients such as Tommy Hilfiger, Candies, Coca Cola, Skyy Vodka, PETA, Salon Selectives and Physicians Formula.
John’s foray into film, TV, and music videos has given him the opportunity to work with renowned directors such as David LaChapelle and David Fincher. John has worked on major music videos for artists such as Janet Jackson, Jay-Z, and Mariah Carey. John also styled concert tour footage looks for Madonna’s “Sticky Sweet”, Britney Spear’s “Circus”, Celine Dion’s “Eyes On Me”, and Elton John’s “Red Piano”. One of his specialties is creating big, sexy hair with gorgeous loose curls, both contemporary and period looks.