If you’re going to wear a great red lipstick, lip stain or lip gloss, then Valentine’s Day is the best day to do it!
But, with a red lippie, the look is highly dependent upon having perfect application. Which means you can’t just slick some more on while running around doing errands or at work. I actually need to use a mirror! So, I look for formulations that will last longer. While not all of these options are technically “long wearing”, they all last at least 4-5 hours on me.
And yes, I do own all of these. I’ve picked great reds that are pretty true, with a bit of a blue in the red to help make your teeth look white and to be pretty flattering.
Luxe Red Lipsticks
1. Chanel Rouge Double Intensité Ultra Wear Lip Color in Daring Red (Nordstrom or Chanel) I usually use 2 thin layers of the color coat, let each dry for a minute or so. Follow it up with the glossy top coat as you need it. It lasts all day without fading. I have 3 colors and want more…
2. Yves Saint Laurent Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain in 11 Rouge Gouache (Sephora or Nordstrom) Is it a gloss or a stain? It’s kind of both! These Glossy Stains are very pigmented and hydrating. They do stain your lips, which is great when it starts rubbing/wearing off. There will always be some color there.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté Shine Lipstick in 04 Rouge in Danger (Nordstrom or Sephora) This is more of a very tinted and shiny lip balm. It does stain my lips some, but it is probably the shortest lasting of all the products listed here, about 3-4 hours. However, it’s the one that I can apply the fastest (and without a mirror) and the colors are so pretty! I have quite a few in this formula.
Splurge Red Lipsticks
4. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Rita (at NARS or Nordstrom) These lipsticks are hydrating, super pigmented, and apply sooooo well. It’s hard to stop at just one!
5. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Underage Red (Sephora) This is basically like the color coat in those 2 step lippies, but without a top clear/shine coat. I have a few of them (this red and Bauhaus), the shades are pretty. It has more of a satin finish.
6. Urban Decay Revolution High-Color Lipgloss in 69 (Sephora or Urban Decay) Yes, this is a lip gloss, but it is super pigmented and like the YSL Glossy Stain it will stain your lips.
Steal Red Lipsticks
7. L’Oreal Paris Cosmetics Colour Riche Le Lacque Lip Pen in Lacquerized (at Amazon) I got a bunch of emails and tweets after posting this picture on Instagram. This is it, the color I was wearing. It’s a bit of a lighter red than the others here. It’s very, very easy to apply, and when you first swipe it on it does look a bit matte. Just rub your lips together and give it a minute or so. It loosens up and melt, becoming shiny and easier to wear.
8. L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Extraordinaire Lip Color in Ruby Opera (at Amazon, or ULTA) This formulation is very similar to the YSL Glossy Stain above. It is a bit less pigmented, a little less shine, and doesn’t last quite as long. But, it’s very, very close. And for a much lower price!
9. NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Absolute Red (at ULTA or NYX) These are super pigmented creamy lipsticks in a tube. I like to apply a line around my lip first and then fill it in. The first coat should be very thin, then follow it up a few minutes later with a second coat. Voila! It will last you a good 6-8 hours.