I first reviewed Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream in 2007 (yes, 10 years ago), right when it was being released. I was blown away by this super moisturizing face cream! It was full of peptides to improve collagen production. There was also a lot of hyaluronic acid to really help plump up the outer layers of your skin while it hydrated, something that it did without feeling heavy on your skin.
Since my initial review, I have been recommending this cream left and right. You’re 20 and want to start anti-aging early? You want to prevent premature aging without irritating your skin? You want a cream to use with your retinoid? You want a drugstore cream? You want a department store cream? Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream is the correct answer for each and every one of those situations.
How Does It Work?
Since I first reviewed it, Olay has made some minor adjustments here and there in the formulation. The list of active ingredients is even longer, and the cream is just… better. It’s true!
I don’t have the full ingredient list from the original Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. However, I do have the new list and I don’t remember so many active ingredients.
• Amino-Peptide: This was my major attraction to the original. They increase collagen production in your skin, decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They are non-irritating and in my opinion should be included in everyone’s anti-aging skincare routine.
• Niacinamide: This is a Vitamin B3 derivative and in skin care it boosts cell turnover, which improves your skin’s tone and texture. It also helps with maintaining the moisture barrier, which is overall very important for your skin’s health and function.
I need to be honest and say that the exact chemical structure of the derivative makes a big difference in skincare! The different derivatives will work, but some versions of niacin cause flushing and irritation of the skin. Typically you will find non-irritating niacins (usually niacinamide derivatives) in much more expensive skincare. Olay has included a non-irritating Niacinamide in Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream.
• Panthenol: A derivative of Viamin B5, you’ll find this in a lot of soothing face products. It also easily penetrates into the skin, where it holds on to water and moisturizes the skin. Your skin will also use it to help create coenzyme A, which is very important to your skin’s health, and it helps in wound healing.
• Vitamin E: A great anti-oxidant, it neutralizes the oxygen free radicals created by exposure to things like the sun and pollution. Over time, the free radicals can result in skin damage and premature aging. It also helps maintain your skin’s moisture barrier.
• Olivem: A derivative of olive oil, it increases the penetration of anti-aging ingredients into the skin.
• Carob Seed Extract: Newly added to the formulation, this extract is also active in skin repair and regeneration.
• Glycerin and Hyaluronic Acid: Two of my favorite moisturizers, they both hold a lot of moisture in to your skin but won’t feel heavy or greasy. This is why the cream is able to plump up the outer layers of your skin so well! The result is a great smoothing and glowy skin effect!
What are the Results?
For me, my skin is well moisturized and feels smoother when I’m using Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. My skin is combination, with dry spots on my cheeks and an oilier T-zone. However, it doesn’t overwhelm my combination skin. You can see my skin above, right after I’ve washed my face and then about 5 minutes after applying the cream. Notice that the lines, especially right under my eyes, are much less visible almost immediately.
If you want more results, the Good Housekeeping Institute performed their own independent testing, and they found that Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream outperformed 10 top prestige creams, including one that cost $440. Their testing was well done, it was a blinded consumer study with the participants not knowing what cream they were using. They collected more than 10,000 hydration measurements!
• Olay’s hydration was the best of the creams at the 3 hour time point. It had moisturized 400% better than a cream nearly 18 times its price and beat all other products tested.
• Olay increased moisture by 50% on average over a 24-hour period.
• In blinded tests, 80% of the participants preferred the feeling of Olay over the other creams. They reported that it felt “rich” without being heavy.
• Based on testing, they found that Olay Regenerist improved skin’s texture by 10% in just four weeks.
• 1 day: reduces the appearance of lines, boosts hydration and brightness
• 2 weeks: Skin is noticeably firmer and skin elasticity is improved
• 4 weeks: Wrinkle appearance is improved
Who is it Best For?
It works for pretty much everyone. Whether your skin is dry or oily, the moisture in Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream just works. It soothes and hydrates my dry areas and it doesn’t overwhelm my oily T-zone. I’ve used this cream in the middle of the winter and in the summer, both with great results. Because the active ingredients are all non-irritating and soothing, this is a cream that you can easily use every day to fight premature aging and get glowy skin. I love that it’s at a price point that works for every budget.
How Does It Fit Into a Skincare Routine?
I especially love to recommend Micro-Sculpting Cream when someone is completely overwhelmed by anti-aging skincare. There are so many products out there, and it is very easy to get overwhelmed by gimmicky ingredients which have minimal evidence supporting anti-aging benefits. This is the perfect product to build an anti-aging skincare routine around.
In my ideal world, an “easy” anti-aging skincare routine includes:
• Sunscreen: Use it every day, look for broad spectrum coverage with at least SPF 30. Dermatologists all agree, this is the number one way to fight premature aging.
• Retinoid: There are many different retinoids, they are derivatives of Vitamin A. They’ll increase cell turnover, improve your skin tone and have a lot of evidence supporting reversal of fine lines and wrinkles. Unfortunately, even the over the counter versions can be very irritating to skin; and they aren’t safe to use while pregnant.
• Peptides: Increase collagen production without irritating your skin.
• Anti-oxidants: Fight free radicals by neutralizing them before they cause damage to your skin.
• Hyaluronic Acid: Yes, a moisturizer. This is my favorite moisturizing ingredient to look for in skin care, it doesn’t feel heavy and makes my skin well hydrated. Yes, it makes me look younger and it works almost immediately.
You’ll notice that Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream checks 3 of those 5 boxes with just one product. It is the perfect product to build an anti-aging skincare routine around. Just add a broad spectrum sunscreen and a retinoid product, and you’re set! Since retinoids can be irritating, especially when starting to use them, it is best to use them every other night and work your way up to every night if possible, layering it over a moisturizer to decrease irritation.
My usual recommendation to friends and family is to buy the Micro-Sculpting Cream, add a light sunscreen product each morning, and a retinol. Start the retinol every other night over Micro-Sculpting Cream, increase to every night when you are able.
For more information, go here to learn about Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Olay. The opinions and text are all mine.