It's been a little bit since I shared with you what's in my purse. And the last time I pretty much only had lipsticks, lipbalms and lipglosses. The nice people over at Ricola asked me to share with you what I keep in my purse to cope with the winter! I was all for this, especially since I was already revamping my essentials (the temperature has dipped like crazy here in Michigan!), and they wanted to send me their new Extra Strength drops. Which works for me because I usually keep an entire bag (yes) of their original drops (those ones in the yellow bag) in my purse. It's a good thing that I have a huge bag!
I've pretty much dumped it out and you can see what is in there currently down below. I also keep a hat and extra set of gloves in there for myself and my 2 year old, but they were pretty big so I kept them out of the picture. My mom made my hat, it's a dark grey merino with cables on it, my mini-me has Hello Kitty.
1. For winter, I usually upgrade to a bigger cosmetic bag. I'm mostly keeping extra cough and cold items in there, and I don't want my cough drops all over the place! CoverGirl sent me this super cute one over the summer, but you can buy it on Etsy.
2. Here are the previously mentioned Ricola drops! This winter I'm going to have both Extra Strength and Original in my pouch. The Extra Strength are similar to the original in flavor, but with a bit of an overlying menthol and peppermint. As well, it has a liquid center, and all of those #swissherbs that we're used to with Ricola. I'll keep the original around because sometimes I just need to have something in my mouth to help prevent coughing, so having the solid originals (which last longer in my mouth) will be better. Yes, I just totally justified having 2 bags of cough drops.
3. Kleenex. Obviously.
4. Minty Tums, I'm a tummy problem girl.
5. Nivea Extended Moisture Hand Cream: I'm trying to be really, really good about hand cream. 10 minutes outside can dry my hands out (and make them very sore) for days! Lotion a few times a day helps a lot.
6. CoverGirl Powder, I'm not sure they even make this one any more. I like it because it has a nice big mirror.
7. A girl needs to take care of her smile! I'm great at getting things stuck between my teeth, so I have floss. The other little white and blue canister there is Hello Breath Spray, though I often have Altoids in Wintergreen as well.
8. A barrette. I usually have a selection of colorful ones for my 2 year old as well (we're at a bit of an unruly hair stage), but I cleaned those out of my purse a few days ago because too many had collected in there.
9. Lippies! I've mentioned previously how obsessed I am with the L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain, this is my go-to shade of Lilac Ever After. It's a pinky-nude that is a great neutral for me. The other 2 are CoverGirl Smoochies Lip Balm, which I'm really loving right now! They are hydrating and have a nice amount of color, but aren't sticky. I have Text Me and Tru Luv in my bag. That's basically another pinky-nude and a red.
10. Epi-pen, I'm allergic to mushrooms.
12. Germ-X Hand Sanitizer (Not Pictured): So, you'd probably think since I'm a peds ICU doc, and I spend most of the winter dealing with very sick little ones, that I'd be harping on hand sanitizer. In fact, I'm one of those people that uses old fashioned soap and water whenever I can. If that's not available, I'll use Germ-X or a similar hand sanitizer. It's not great for your skin, but I only use alcohol based hand sanitizers.
Here's a great article on CNN about why you should use alcohol based hand sanitizers instead of triclosan. In addition to the bacterial resistance issues, most illnesses that we worry so much about in the winter are viruses. So, you'll need alcohol to kill them. And I trust Alison's advice (our daughters are in ballet class together!), this is one of her main areas of expertise. So, buy the cheap alcohol hand stuff and when you can, wash instead! I don't have any to show you in this pic because I just ran out, so it is on my shopping list.
Contest! Ricola is offering a Ricola Soothing Relief Kit and $100 Gift Card (VISA or MasterCard) to a 15 Minute Beauty reader!
To win you'll need to be in the US and over 18 years old.
I've gotten a few questions recently about my favorite inexpensive makeup finds. While I obviously have more income now than I did when I was in high school, at heart I'm still a drugstore makeup girl. I would much rather roam the aisles than the department store counters! There are a lot of amazing products available in those aisles, many of which I gladly reach for every day over much more expensive alternatives. You can find all of these products in my Drugstore Steals Collection over on eBay. Don't forget to follow me there so you can see any new items I add!
1. NYX Shadow Base: I use the nude tone in this product nearly every day. It is a primer and concealer in one, I only need to pat a small amount on to my lids with a finger tip to both cover up visible blood vessels and prime my lids for all day shadow!
2. Wet n Wild Nutty Eye Shadow has long been my favorite go-to shade. In theory it is the same as other colors from MAC and ELF, but only this one works so well for me. It has a lot of depth and is just deep enough that I can use it in my eye crease almost every day. It works with every eye look I've tried!
3. CoverGirl Flamed Out Mascara is one of my favorites. I'm definitely a drugstore mascara girl, and most of my favorites are from CoverGirl. This one offers both length and volume, but the brush is really the key! It helps to flare out my outer corner of lashes just a bit, giving me a great wide eyed look!
4. NYX Wonder Pencil is a great multi-tasking product. This is a very pigmented concealer, but it is in a thin pencil form. I use it to draw a line just over and under my brow, down the center of my nose and then on the bow of my lip. Blend with a few finger taps, and you've highlighted everywhere! I also have the deep tone, which I use to contour the sides of my nose very slightly.
5. NYX Auto Eye Brow Pencil: Most drugstore eye brow products are powder, but I'm really a pencil girl. I think they're faster, and with a little brushing afterwards, look much more natural. The NYX pencil lasts all day and comes in a good variety of slightly ashy shades, which look very natural.
6. Pond's Luminous Finish BB Cream: Somehow I still haven't written a full review on this product, though I've repurchased it a few times and use it almost every day. It has nice lightweight moisture, a light coverage and a bit of light deflection. I love that it also has SPF built in!
7. Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush: This is one of those love it or hate it products, and I love it! I like to use a cream blush directly over my foundation, set with powder and then reapply. It makes the blush stick around all day.
8. CoverGirl Smoochies are my new favorite tinted lip balm. The color is definitely there, but is translucent enough that my own lips show through. It feels hydrating and isn't sticky! The balm is very large as well, so it is an amazing deal.
Check out all of my collections on eBay and be sure to follow me! You can follow my new product finds and check out my collections.
You can win $25,000! Just follow me and share my collections (use those buttons in the upper right). Every time you share you'll be entered for a chance to win $25,000! Official rules: ebay.com/shareitwinitsweepstakes
My eBay Collections were curated as part of my collaboration with eBay #followitfindit and Style Coalition.