While I keep saying that contouring is "out", the truth is that most of us do a little contouring every now and then! Today for Makeup Wars, my beauty blogging friends and I are sharing our favorite highlighters and contours! In theory we're sharing our favorite creams, but I don't really use just creams, I also have liquids and powders.
HighlightersWhen using highlighters, I have a couple of different tactics I take.
First, if I feel like my skin is a bit lackluster, I might add a little highlighter into my moisturizer, foundation, or BB Cream. Usually I use the Armani for this as it is more subtle, so better for all over shimmer, but a little bit of the L'Oreal also works really well. You don't want to turn into a disco ball, but just a very small amount can make a big difference!
Second, I like to use a highlighter in very directed areas to catch a little light but without being really shimmery. On my cheekbone, a little on the bow of my lip (which does help my small lips look fuller), the inner corner of my eye, and my brow bone. I like a light shimmer in all of those places except for my brow bone, which I prefer is just lighter than surrounding areas, I like a matte or satin finish there.
1. L'Oreal Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator (at Amazon or ULTA): This is the most shimmery option here, if you're going to apply it all over use a very light hand and mix it into something. I think it works best for more targeted areas like the brow bone.
2. Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer in No. 7(at Nordstrom, Sephora or Armani): This is the highlighter I use most frequently, I mix it into my BB Cream (YSL Top Secret All in One BB Cream) or my foundation (Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation). It has just the right amount of shimmer to make my skin look luminous but not shiny.
3. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer (at Nordstrom): Apparently this is Giselle's favorite. It is great to dip a finger in and tap it along your cheek bone or inner eye. I've had the same jar for almost 2 years, it lasts forever!
4. Anastasia Highlighting Duo Pencil (at Anastasia, Sephora or Nordstrom): I'm actually using a very similar Too Faced pencil right now, but it's been discontinued. I have this Duo from Anastasia also, and I love how it has 2 ends. I use the matte end on my brow bone, just draw it under the brow and then blend with a fingertip! I draw the shimmer end into my inner eye and then tap with my finger to blend a bit.
Both Highlight and Contour5. NYX Wonder Stick (at Amazon or ULTA): This is very easy to use, they are matte creams and you just draw where you want to highlight or contour and then blend. I use this for travel sometimes because it is so compact.
Contouring6. Maskcara Contour in Walnut (at Maskcara): I don't contour my nose very often, but when I do I reach for this cream from Maskcara. It's the perfect shade, easy to blend and it stays put on my oily nose.
7. NARS Contour Blush in Olympia (at Sephora or NARS)
Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder (at Nordstrom, Sephora or Bobbi Brown)
Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer in Milk Chocolate (at Too Faced, ULTA or Sephora)
Usually when I'm "contouring" I'm just using a little matte bronzer underneath my blush. It does add a lot of definition and is subtle, I blend it out a bit when applying powder afterwards. At home, I use the Too Faced powder a lot, but Bobbi Brown also works great and comes in a wider range of shades. Finally, I do have the NARS Contour Blush as well, and the shade is similar but the pigmentation level is definitely higher! I need to use a much lighter hand when I use this blush. I have it in my NARS Pro Palette that I take with me when I travel. It comes with a highlighter shade, but it is basically the same color as my skin, so I only use the contour.
What are your favorite highlighting and contour products?
Product Sent for Review, I Bought It, Affiliate Links
The L'Oreal Liquid Lumi, and Too Faced Bronzer have been sent to me previously by PR, but I've repurchased both with my own money as well.