Since my post on Dealing With Undereye Puffiness: Preventing It, Treating It and Camouflaging It, I have gotten a lot of emails asking for eye cream recs! I mentioned a few products in that post, and there are some in my Hiding the Bags collection. But, I thought it was time to share some what dermatologists look for in eye creams and a few of their favorites!
Note that quite a few of these products can be hard to find in stores, but they're all over in my Hiding the Bags collection. Don't forget to Follow Me while you're checking out the products!
Debra Jaliman, MD is a dermatologist with a private practice in New York City.
Her favorite eye cream: Neocutis Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream (1)
What's so magical about it?
• Caffeine to shrink vessels and decrease darkness.
• Hyaluronic acid and glycerin for moisture.
• Human growth factor to decrease wrinkles.
Rahat Azfar, MD is a dermatologist in New York City.
Dr. Azfar looks for creams with Vitamin C, E, retinol, and hyaluronic acid. She likes iS Clinical Youth Eye Complex (2) because it contains all of those ingredients.
Avery Kuflik, MD is a dermatologist with a private practice in New Jersey.
His favorite creams:
We have several staff favorites at Kuflik Dermatology. One is Revision's Teamine (7) which helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines, dark circles and puffiness. Another is Obagi's Elastiderm (8) which is a treatment that helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles while bringing back the resiliency of the delicate skin around the eyes. Some really like using all natural products, so for those we like Dr. Hauschka's Daily Revitalizing eye cream (4).
What to look for:
I look for eye creams with antioxidants and peptides. I also look for creams that contain "non-clogging" oils like avocado oil which not only adds moisture to the skin without clogging the pores but has the benefit of stimulating collagen production. Humectants like glycerine and dimethicone add moisture and give the skin that smooth, silky feel.
Rebecca Tung, MD is the Director of the Division of Dermatology at Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr. Tung recommends caffeine to reduce puffiness and ingredients that promote growth and turnover of dead skin cells such as hydroxy acids, Vitamin C, and growth factors. Dr. Tung says, "Neocutis Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream (1) is one product that helps improve the undereye area, it is usually okay in sensitive skin people too."
James C. Marotta, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon who practices in Long Island.
Dr. Marotta doesn't have a favorite eye cream, but there are quite a few ingredients he watches for!
• Hyaluronic Acid and Ceramides: For plump skin cells nothing beats hyaluronic acid, which draws moisture from the air and holds up to 1,000 times its weight in water. Additionally, ceramides also help maintain hydration.
• Retinol: A vitamin A derivative, retinol stimulates cell turnover and collagen production, helping to strengthen skin and reduce complexion imperfections like sun spots and fine lines.
• Neuropeptides: Supersensitive skin types might opt for a peptide-packed eye cream instead of a retinoic acid one. Like retinol, neuropeptides also stimulate collagen and elastin production, but are gentler on the dermis
• Vitamins C and E: Besides vitamin A (in the form of topical retinol), vitamins C and E are also potent anti-aging ingredients. While vitamin C aids in collagen production and skin elasticity, vitamin E soothes and protects
Vish Banthia, MD is a Facial Plastic Surgeon in Beverly Hills, and is Chief Medical Officer of Zendy Beauty.
Dr. Banthia likes Obagi Elastiderm (8), which has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties.
Here are some of Dr. Banthia's favorite ingredients to look for in an eye cream:
• Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is present in our skin. It provides lubrication and is good for keeping the skin moist / hydrated.
• Acetyl hexapeptide or Argireline: This is a peptide which is used to help prevent wrinkles.
• Vitamin K: Thought to improve puffy skin around the eyes and potentially improve dark circles.
• Caffeine: vasoconstrictor effects help minimize puffiness and a create a bit of skin tightening effect.
• Vitamin C/berry extracts: these have anti-oxidant potential; vitamin C is involved in collagen synthesis.
• Arnica: Has an anti-inflammatory effect; may help puffiness
Debbie Palmer, DO is a dermatologist in Harrison, New York. She also created Replere Skin Care.
Dr. Palmer likes potent antioxidants, hyaluronic acid and vitamin A in eye creams. Her favorite eye cream is Replere Renew and Firm Eye Serum (5) because it is all natural, great for all skin types, fragrance free, paraben and dye free, and never tested on animals. It contains potent antioxidants that rejuvenate naturally.
Purvisha Patel, MD is a dermatologist in Memphis.
Dr. Patel looks for caffeine and a good hydrator in eye creams, her favorite is Neocutis Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream (1).
David E. Bank, MD is a dermatologist in Mt Kisco, New York.
Dr. Bank likes both Doll Face Soothe Triple-Action Under Eye Serum (3) and RoC Retinol Correxion Sensitive Eye Cream (6).
What he looks for in eye creams:
• Hyaluronic Acid and Ceramides keep your sensitive skin hydrated.
• Retinol boosts cell turnover to give you stronger skin and also helps diminish fine lines and discoloration.
• Neuropeptides can give similar benefits to retinols without the harsh side effects that some may people may experience from retinoic acid.
• Vitamins A, C and E will all help skin stay healthy. Vitamin A can be found in your retinoid, Vitamin C will improve collagen production and elastic and Vitamin E will protect your skin from outside factors.
• Caffeine helps to constrict superficial blood vessels to decrease darkness
Did you know you could win $5000 from eBay! You can also help donate money to the March of Dimes by entering.
eBay wants to you create your own collection for what you were "born to be"! Fashion designer? Rock star? What are you born to be? Create a collection for a chance to win! #ImBornTo ebay.com/imbornto
There are a lot of great eye creams out there! I'll be adding more to my Hiding the Bags Collection. Be sure to check out my collections on eBay and follow me!
My eBay Collections were curated as part of my collaboration with eBay #followitfindit and Style Coalition.