Yes, I have more blushes, eye liners and lip glosses in my bathroom right now than a "normal" person would use in their entire lifetime. And my husband will laugh at me for sharing how I organize it all. Why?
But, when you look behind closed doors, I actually am pretty organized!
To store my polishes, I've taken the original single shelf out of the closet and put in an Ikea Ivar System. I love that this is super adjustable, I move the shelves around as needed. I have this same set up, but taller. Cheap and perfect for my needs!
On the shelves I have 2 drawer sizes from The Container Store. I've found that while these drawers are stackable and stable for shirts and other lightweight items, for something heavy like polish you only want 2 or 3 units at a time. Putting them on shelves like this makes everything steadier. I use the shirt and accessory drawer for polishes. These are tall enough for even my OPI polishes (my bottom 2 drawers are both filled with OPI), but don't leave a lot of extra space unused on top. The sweater drawer is what I use to hold items like extra remover, lotion, etc.
I organize these drawers by brand, really because that's how my mind works. I don't think "I want to wear a purple polish", and then go to a purple drawer. Instead, I tend to think "I want to wear OPI Lincoln Park After Midnight" and go to the OPI drawer.
1. This is the middle drawer on the top, I put things that I use pretty much every day here. It has my favorite concealers, my lash curler, my daily translucent powder and a few blushes.
2. This is a drawer that I need to purge. It's mostly eye liners and mascaras. I use shallow drawer organizers from Target to keep the 2 separated.
And yes! Most of the mascaras need to be thrown away, after I've tested a mascara for 4-5 days it gets put here and I honestly haven't thrown things away for about 7 or 8 months (I'm not actually using them, which is probably good, they're just taking up space). Why does this happen? Because I test the mascara and put it in the drawer, in case I want to go back to it in the next few months. Why would I throw it away immediately? That's silly. But they tend to build up and I haven't had time to purge them in a while. #keepingitreal (And there are multiples because of different colors and waterproof vs regular.)
3. This is my single eye shadow drawer, it's on the upper left. I use those same drawer organizers from Target here. I have the products sorted by brand.
4. This drawer has extra face products. BB Creams, primers, blushes, concealers, you name it! They're all there.
5. Eye shadow palettes and my loose powder shadows. Again everything is in an organizer and I can easily find what I'm looking for.
6. My lippie drawer. I have Glossybox boxes to organize here, but I need a new system. I haven't figured that out. Currently there are 4 clear drawer organizers on the bottom and a 5th sitting on top, they all are sorted by brand and gloss/lipstick (except for a few thrown on top by my toddler). It is actually fairly easy to find what I'm looking for. Those curlers to the left are there to distract my 2 year old, she ALWAYS goes for them!
How do you organize your stash?