This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through affiliate links helps to support this website.

Pregnancy Safe Sunscreens

Full Spectrum Pregnancy Safe Sunscreens

One of the hardest to find products in pregnancy safe skincare is sunscreen. Today I’m sharing the results of an exhaustive search for pregnancy safe sunscreens.

All of these sunscreens are physical sunscreens, with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide. If your sunscreen as anything else listed under “Active Ingredients” then I would not use it.

Learn more about full spectrum UV coverage here, pregnancy safe facial sunscreens are here.

Note, I have not tried all of these products. Once I started finding products that were full spectrum and pregnancy safe, I decided I would just list every product that I found! I know this list will be helpful to many of my readers. If you have tried any of these products, let me know how you liked it in the comments below. There’s also a list of pregnancy safe facial sunscreens. You can find many more pregnancy safe sunscreens listed in my big list of pregnancy safe skincare products.

Pregnancy Safe Sunscreen List

Pregnancy Safe Sunscreens

1. Babo Botanicals SPF 30 Clear Zinc Lotion

2. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ WetForce for Sensitive Skin and Children

3. Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Lotion SPF 50

4. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50

5. Juice Beauty Sport Moisturizer, SPF 30

6. Derma e Antioxidant Natural Sunscreen Body SPF 30

7. Blue Lizard Sensitive Sunscreen Lotion – SPF 30, also pregnancy safe in their baby sunscreen version

8. Coola Mineral Baby Moisturizer Organic SPF 50

Additional Pregnancy Safe Sunscreens

Note that I will add to this list as I find more products!

3Lab Perfect Lite Sunscreen SPF 30
Arcona Reozone Protect SPF 40
Coola Mineral Sport Moisturizer SPF 30
MyChelle Dermaceuticals Replenishing Solar Defense SPF 30
Rosacea Care All-Natural Sunscreen For Sensitive Skin SPF 30
Soleil Toujours 100% Mineral Sunscreen Glow SPF 30
Suntegrity Skincare SPF 30 Natural Mineral Sunscreen For Body
Vanicream Sunscreen Sport SPF 35

Best Sunscreen Information
Find more information about how sunscreens work, application tips and product reviews in my sunscreen guide

Guide to Skin Care while Pregnant or Nursing
Don’t forget to check out the other articles in my Pregnancy and Nursing Skin Care Guide!

Is my skincare safe to use during pregnancy?
Read this post before commenting to ask about your product

how to know which beauty products are safe in pregnancy
Sign up to learn the latest in pregnancy safe beauty, get the upcoming pregnancy skincare book (free) and more!

Pregnancy Safe Skin Care– Check the brand pages for your sunscreens as well!
Pregnancy Safe Facial Sunscreens, BB & CC Creams

Affiliate Links

1. Prachi
    September 14, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Hi dear,
    Is this eucerin spf 50 anti age sunscreen ok to use during pregnancy
    Ingredients
    Aqua, Homosalate, Glycerin, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Alcohol Denat, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Glycyrrhiza Inflata Root Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol
    Read more at https://www.boots.com/eucerin-sun-anti-age-face-fluid-spf50-50ml-10208443p#MdzJU0srdf0MGA5K.99

September 15, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

2. Nicole
    September 18, 2018 / 10:05 am

Hello, I am from Brazil and a lot of sunscreens recommended here is not avaible for me to buy. I am doing a research and the one that I foud that seems safe is:
    Mineral Lotion Solar Eau Thermale da Avène
    Ingredients:
    Avene thermal spring water (avene aqua); titanium dioxide; isodecyl neopentanoate; triethylhexanoin; C12-15 alkyl benzoate; cyclomethicone; glycerin; polyglyceryl-4 isostearate; C30-45 alkyl methicone; cetyl PEG/ PPG-10/ 1 dimethicone; hexyl laurate; alumina; water (aqua); stearic acid; caprylic/capric triglyceride; caprylyl glycol; disodium EDTA; iron oxides (CI 77492); iron oxides (CI 77491); octyldodecanol; pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate; silica dimethyl silylate; sodium chloride; sodium myristoyl glutamate; sorbic acid; tocopheryl glucoside; triethoxycaprylylsilane; xanthan gum

Hopefully this one is safe! Congrats on your blog, this post have been helping me a lot and is the most complete information that I could find.
    Thank you!

September 18, 2018 / 10:40 am

Hi there!
      This one looks ok to me

3. Alison Sedgewick
    September 24, 2018 / 5:25 pm

Hi! I was using Heliocare 360 spf 50 on my face every morning until I was 8 weeks pregnant, I’d read a few articles where people used it ( recommended to avoid Melasma). However I got worried and stopped using it. I’m nearly 11 weeks now. The ingredients are below, could I have done any damage?

Aqua, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Arginine, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, Disodium Phenyl Dibenzimidazole Tetrasulfonate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Titanium Dioxide (nano), Hexylene Glycol, C14-22 Alcohols, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Nylon-12 Myristyl Alcohol, Dipropylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Diethylhexyl Butamido Triazone, Phenoxyethanol, Polypodium Leucotomos Leaf Extract, Ethylhexyl Ferulate, Ferulic Acid, Caffeic Acid, Physalis Angulata Extract, Ceteareth-25, Caprylyl Glycol, Melanin, Myristyl Glucoside, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Caprylyl Methicone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Alumina, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether Benzoate, Disodium Ethylene Dicocamide PEG-15 Disulfate, Camelia Sinensis Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Phytosphingosine HCL, Arabidopsis Thaliana Extract, Ethyl Lauroyl Arginate HCL, Panthenyl Triacetate, Parfum, Simethicone, Oxothiazolidine, Disodium EDTA, Silica, Ethyl Linoleate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Oleyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Lecithin, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherol, Linalool, Limonene.

September 24, 2018 / 6:21 pm

I would avoid this due to the chemical sunscreens. Note the rest of the ingredients look fine, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

• Alison Sedgewick
        September 25, 2018 / 7:05 am

Thank you – I’ll avoid it now but won’t stress about having used it before. It’s such a minefield, I’d never have known! I live in the UK and it’s coming into winter anyway so I probably won’t see much sun until the baby is born now!!

September 25, 2018 / 8:23 am

Probably not much! I know that feeling living in Michigan, our climate is similar.

September 25, 2018 / 8:24 am

Sorry, it has chemical sunscreens

4. Shants
    September 28, 2018 / 7:06 am

Hi Christine,
    I am Shanthini and am 14 weeks pregnant.. you website is my life saviour. Could you pls tell if the following 2 products are safe to use during pregnancy?

1. Institut Esthederm Photo reverse

Ingredients :

Aqua/Water/Eau*, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Mothoxycrylene, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Glycerin, Homosalate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tribehenin PEG-20 Esters, Butyl Methoxydibenzolymethane, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylyl Methicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Creatine, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycrrhetinic Acid, Mannitolm PEF-100 Stearate, Pentylene Glycol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, C20-22 Alcohols, Hydroxymethyl Accrylate/Sodium Acryloylddimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cerium Oxide, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Benzotriazolyl Dodecyl P-Cresol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Dextran Sulfate, Squalane, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Potassium Sorbate, Andrographis Paniculata Leaf Extract, Soidum Hydroxide, Polysorbate 60, Proylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aminoethanesulfinic Acid, Silica, Carnosine, Artemia Extract, Algae Extract, Disodium Adenosine Triphosphate, Red 33 (CI 17200), Hexapeptide-2 [ES874]. *Cellular Water (Aqua/Disodium Adenosine Triphosphate/Carnosine/Mineral Salts)

2. Skii Facial Treatment Mask

Full Ingredients
    Water, Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate*, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA. *PITERA™

September 28, 2018 / 8:39 am

I’m sorry, the first has chemical sunscreens and salicylates. The second has salicylates (note all of the SK-II products that are safe can be found in my pregnancy safe skin care products list)

5. ms.dewanti
    October 5, 2018 / 4:13 am

Hi, greetings from Indonesia. I’m currently using a local product named Wardah. Could you tell me from its ingredients whether it’s safe for pregnancy? Thanks a lot! 🙂

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor, Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Cyclopentasiloxane, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Panthenol, Laureth 7, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

October 5, 2018 / 7:42 am

Sorry, the 2nd ingredient is actually a chemical sunscreen

6. Sharade
    October 8, 2018 / 2:13 am

Hello, good day mam. I am using Mary Kay CC cream up until I am 5 months pregnant because my OBsaid it is safe to use cc cream and/or foundation, however when i searched the ingredients it has the following active ingredients (please refer below). I am very worried, I hope I can hear from you soon. Thank you so much.

Mary kay cc creams key ingredients are:

Active ingredients include;
    Homosalate 5%
    Octinoxate 6.5%
    Oxybenzone 1.2 %

Niacinamide and ascorbyl glucoside are known to help skin’s tone look more even and brighten the look of skin.
    Vitamin E and a botanical extract help calm and soothe skin.
    Willow bark extract contains a natural source of salicylic acid.
    Emollients help hydrate skin, providing nourishing comfort without feeling oily or greasy.
    Powerful antioxidants, including vitamin E and silymarin extract, help defend against skin-damaging free radicals.

Inactive ingredients are;
    sodium benzoate
    benzyl alcohol
    aluminum hydroxide
    titanium dioxide
    iron oxides

October 8, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I would avoid this with the salicylic acid, willow bark and chemical sunscreens.

7. LC
    October 8, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Hello,
    When you get a moment can you please tell me if Burt’s bees baby nourishing mineral sunscreen spf 30 is pregnancy safe?

Active Ingredients: Titanium dioxide 2.8%; Zinc oxide 13%.
    Inactive Ingredients: Water, dicaprylyl ether, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) oleosomes, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, beeswax, cetyl alcohol, nelumbo nucifera flower wax, phenoxyethanol, isostearic acid, polyhydroxystearic acid, alumina, lecithin, polyglyceryl-3 polyricinoleate, gluconic acid, lonicera japonica (honeysuckle) flower extract, sodium benzoate, stearic acid, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, sodium phytate, prunus armeniaca (apricot) fruit extract, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, tocopherol, cocos nucifera (coconut) fruit extract, coffea arabica (coffee) seed extract, dipteryx odorata seed extract, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, alcohol, potassium sorbate

Thanks!!!

October 8, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Looks ok!

8. LC
    October 8, 2018 / 12:34 pm

Hello,

I’m sorry i just asked about the burt’s bees but i have one more i’d love for you to check. It is called Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30.

Ingredients
    Active ingredient: Zinc Oxide 19% Ingredients: Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Coco-Caprylate, Cetearyl Nonanoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Magnesium Sulfate, Beeswax, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Decylene Glycol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, 1,2-Hexanediol, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Eschscholzia Californica Leaf Cell Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract.

Thanks again!!!

October 8, 2018 / 3:34 pm

Looks ok to me!

9. Nathalia
    October 15, 2018 / 8:36 am

Hi, I am from Brazil and many of sunscreens here is not avaible here,
    Can you check this for me?!
    AVÈNE MINERAL FPS 50+
    ZINC OXIDE [NANO]. AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER (AVENE AQUA). TITANIUM DIOXIDE [NANO]. COCO-CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE. ISOPROPYL PALMITATE. ISOCETYL STEAROYL STEARATE. ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE. ISODODECANE. ISOHEXADECANE. PTFE. TRIETHYLHEXANOIN. DICAPRYLYL ETHER. PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE. IRON OXIDES (CI 77492) (CI 77491) (CI 77499). MICA. ALUMINA. STEARIC ACID. CAPRYLYL GLYCOL. PEG-45/DODECYL GLYCOL COPOLYMER. SILICA. BENZOIC ACID. CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE. DISODIUM EDTA. DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE. GLYCERYL BEHENATE. GLYCERYL DIBEHENATE. HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL (HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL). PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE. POLYAMIDE-3. SODIUM CHLORIDE. TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891). TOCOPHEROL. TOCOPHERYL GLUCOSIDE. TRIBEHENIN. TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE. WATER (AQUA).

Thanks!

October 15, 2018 / 8:58 am

Looks ok!

10. Didem Ferah
    October 18, 2018 / 3:10 am

Hi Christine,

Does this sun-protector is safe to use during pregnancy?
    Thank you so much for your effort!

Glo Oil Free SPF 40+
    Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (7.5%), Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (2.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Isopropyl Palmitate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Glycereth-26, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Allantoin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

October 18, 2018 / 8:01 am

No, sorry this has chemical sunscreens

• Didem Ferah
        October 18, 2018 / 9:19 am

11. Joy
    October 21, 2018 / 11:24 pm

Hi is Neutrogena Ultra sheer spf 50+ safe for pregnant?

This are the ingredients..
    Water, Homosalate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Benzophenone-3, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Silica, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Potassium Cetyl, Phosphate, Beeswax, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Caprylyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyglycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Acrylates/C12-22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Trideceth-6, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Methylisothiazolinone, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Naphthalate.

Thank you very much for your answer.

October 23, 2018 / 12:16 pm

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

12. Joy
    October 21, 2018 / 11:27 pm

Hi, these are the ingredients of my sunscreen,,
    Is this safe for pregnant? Thank you

October 23, 2018 / 12:14 pm

No, there are chemical sunscreens and salicylates in this

13. Tobi
    October 25, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Hello, Is this a safe sunscreen? La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

New Ingredients EU 2018:•AQUA / WATER•DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE•ALCOHOL DENAT.•GLYCERIN•DIMETHICONE•ISOHEXADECANE•BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE•OCTOCRYLENE•SILICA•DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE•ISONONYL ISONONANOATE•ZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCH•C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE•STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER•ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE•PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE•BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE•ISODODECANE•PHENOXYETHANOL•ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE•TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID•SILICA SILYLATE•LAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONE•PEG-8 LAURATE•CAPRYLYL GLYCOL•TRIETHANOLAMINE•DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE•TOCOPHEROL•DISODIUM EDTA•DODECENE•PROPYLENE CARBONATE•POLOXAMER 407•ZINC GLUCONATE•PERLITE *****Previous Ingredients EU: AQUA / WATERDIISOPROPYL SEBACATEALCOHOL DENAT.GLYCERINDIMETHICONEISOHEXADECANEBUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANEOCTOCRYLENESILICADROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANEISONONYL ISONONANOATEZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCHC12-15 ALKYL BENZOATESTYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMERETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONEPEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATEBIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINEISODODECANEPHENOXYETHANOLISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATETEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACIDSILICA SILYLATELAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONEPEG-8 LAURATECAPRYLYL GLYCOLTRIETHANOLAMINEDISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITETOCOPHEROLDISODIUM EDTADODECENEPROPYLENE CARBONATEPOLOXAMER 407ZINC GLUCONATEPERLITE

October 30, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

14. Tobi
    October 25, 2018 / 4:37 pm

Hello again, I have another brand that I am not sure about- The invisible zinc range. Can you please check

1. Invisible Zinc Tinted Daywear SPF30+: Active ingredients: zinc oxide 18% w/w. Preservatives: phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol.

2. invisible zinc junior: Zinc Oxide, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol

I can not seem to find a full ingredients list anywhere.

October 30, 2018 / 3:04 pm

I can’t comment without a full ingredients list, sorry.

15. Karri
    November 7, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Hello,

I’m wondering about the Coola spf 50 white tea sunscreen? It says on their website all of their sunscreens are pregnancy safe? Here is the ingredient list:

Avobenzone – 3.0%, Octinoxate – 6.2%

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

Acacia Farnesiana (ORGANIC Acacia) Extract, Acrylates Copolymer, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed Extract (ORGANIC), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (ORGANIC), Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, Cirtus Aurantium Dulcis (ORGANIC Orange) Fruit Water, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Euterpe Oleracea (ORGANIC Acai) Fruit Oil, Flavor, Fragaria Vesca (ORGANIC Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Glycerin (ORGANIC), Helianthus Annuus (ORGANIC Sunflower) Seed Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Linum Usitatissimum (ORGANIC Linseed) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (ORGANIC Evening Primrose) Oil, Plankton Extract, Salvia Hispanica (ORGANIC Chia) Seed Oil, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Water, Xanthan Gum

November 7, 2018 / 2:33 pm

This has chemical sunscreens, so I wouldn’t use it. There are brands that are very liberal in what they consider safe, I’m more conservative.

16. Yeannie Wong
    November 9, 2018 / 8:22 am

Hello Dr.Christine,

Hope you could help to check the ingredients for this sunscreen.

Product name: V-Magic UV Protection Cream
    Ingredients: octylmethoxy cinnamate, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, titanium dioxide, polymethylsilsesquioxane, niacinamide, panthenol, calendula officinalis flower extract, codium tomentosum extract, saccharide isomerate, olive leaf extract.

Thank you!

November 9, 2018 / 9:51 am

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

17. Sue
    November 12, 2018 / 5:02 am

Hi Dr Christine, is this sunscreen safe for pregnancy?

Orbis Sunscreen on face Light
    WATER (AQUA), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, GLYCERIN, BEHENYL ALCOHOL,CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, DIPHENYLSILOXY PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, DIMETHICONE, POLYGLYCERYL-10 PENTASTEARATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, POLYGLYCERYL-10 TRISTEARATE, HYDRATED SILICA,HYDROGEN DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, TALC, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SODIUM COCOMONOGLYCERIDE SULFATE, XANTHAN GUM, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, CITRIC ACID, IRON OXIDES (CI 77492), PROPYLPARABEN, ACRYLATES/DIMETHICONE COPOLYMER, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491), TOCOPHEROL, SILICA SILYLATE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), SORBITAN SESQUIISOSTEARATE, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, TIN OXIDE, TRIMETHOXYSILYL DIMETHICONE, CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE, ZINC OXIDE, SILVER OXIDE

Thank you so much, appreciate your help!

November 13, 2018 / 10:57 am

Looks ok

18. Talana
    November 15, 2018 / 4:24 am

Hi There,

What about Coola ECO LUX SPRAY. Please see ingredients list below?

INGREDIENTS
    ALCOHOL DENAT. (SD ALCOHOL 40-B)*, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, OCTOCRYLENE, ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, METHYL DIHYDROABIETATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, GAMMA-NONALACTONE, RUBUS IDAEUS SEED OIL*, ISOAMYL ACETATE, GLYERIN*, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, ANISALDEHYDE, BENZALDEHYDE, GAMMA-UNDECALACTONE, PHENETHYL ALCOHOL, ALGAE EXTRACT*, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT*, FRAGARIA VESCA FRUIT EXTRACT*, CITRIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SODIUM BENZOATE, BENZYL ALCOHOL *CERTIFIED ORGANIC

November 17, 2018 / 3:50 pm

I would avoid this one. The ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate and octocrylene are both chemical sunscreens, the ethylhexyl salicylate is a chemical sunscreen and salicylate.

19. TALANA BESTALL
    November 15, 2018 / 4:33 am

Hi There,

Is the Coola mineral sports moisturiser ok? Which exact chemical are you looking for which deems it not acceptable.

COOLA
    SPF 30 Citrus Mimosa Moisturiser( 90ml )£36.00

Active Ingredients:
    Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen) 4.8%
    Zinc Oxide (Sunscreen) 3.1%

Inactive Ingredients:
    Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil (Organic Kukui), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Organic), Alumina, Arnica Montana (Organic) Flower Extract, Bentonite, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Organic Orange) Fruit Water, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Glycerin (Organic), Hydrogenated Methyl Abietate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein / PVP Crosspolymer, Jojoba Esters, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract, Persea Gratissima (Organic Avocado) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (ORGANIC Apricot) Kernel Oil, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopherol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water, Xanthan Gum.

20. Rade
    November 19, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Hello Mam, it is me again. Good day! I would like to ask if the fit me powder w/ sunblock protection safe? I hope you could help me 🙂

Below are the list of the product’s ingredients:
    TALC ●
    HYDROGENATED PALM OIL ●
    ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE ●
    [+/- MAY CONTAIN
    MICA ●
    CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE ●
    CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES ●

Hoping to hear from you soon.
    Godspeed & besr regards!

November 20, 2018 / 9:53 am

You don’t need to worry about powders.

21. May
    November 26, 2018 / 5:49 pm

Hi Christine,
    Can you check these for me:

Sunsense Sensitive spf 50+ Sunscreen
    Ingredients: 15% Zinc Oxide. Contains Niacinamide (Physical only, no chemical filters), Hydroxybenzoates, light liquid paraffin

Ombra SPF50+ Sensitive Sunscreen
    Ingredients (active)- octocrylene, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethan, zinc oxide, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor, contains phenoxyethanol

Thanks so much!

November 27, 2018 / 11:53 am

I don’t think either of these lists are complete, so I can’t call either of them safe. The Ombra won’t be safe due to chemical sunscreens.

22. ATD
    November 27, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Could you please check the following Cancer Council zinc sunscreen:

Classic Sunscreen SPF50+
    $14.95

Product code : 126675

QUANTITY

Add to cart

Product Description+
    Ingredients-
    Preservatives:
    Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxybenzoates

Actives:
    Zinc Oxide 200mg/g, Octocrylene 80mg/g, Bemotrizinol 20mg/g, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate 20mg/g, Octyl Methoxycinnamate 50mg/g.

November 27, 2018 / 8:30 pm

No, this has a chemical sunscreen

23. ATD
    November 29, 2018 / 2:58 pm

Could you please check that the following sunscreen is safe for pregnant women;

Nivea Sun Light Feel
    Sunscreen SPF30 Lotion 200ml

Ingredients
    Contains: Ethanol, Phenoxyethanol and Hydroxybenzoates Ingredients: Octocrylene (90mg/g), Titanium Dioxide (60mg/g), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (45mg/g), Bemotrizinol (20mg/g)

November 29, 2018 / 3:22 pm

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

24. ATD
    November 29, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Hello,

It would be much appreciated if you could confirm if Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Clear Face Sunscreen Liquid-Lotion SPF30 is safe to use during pregnancy.

Active Ingredients: Octocrylene 3.0% w/w, Octyl Salicylate 4.0% w/w, Oxybenzone 4.0% w/w, Homosalate 5.0% w/w, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane 2.5% w/w.

December 1, 2018 / 1:31 pm

Sorry, this isn’t safe due to the chemical sunscreens

• Hong Nguyen
        January 19, 2019 / 8:27 am

Hi, i have been using this chemical sunscreen for months and I’m currently 6months pregnant now. Do I need to worry about those chemicals in my blood stream will affect my baby? I’m abit nervous now. Thank you.

January 19, 2019 / 12:53 pm

There’s no evidence that they cause harm, but they’re known to be absorbed. My recommendation to avoid if possible is very conservative, I wouldn’t worry about it, just swap to a different product.

25. Linh Nguyen
    November 29, 2018 / 11:10 pm

Hellor Doctor,

I would like to know whether this type of sunscreen “KOSE KOSE Medicated Sekkisei Sun Protector SPF 50+ PA+++” is safe for pregnancy?. Ingredients as per below. Thank you very much.

Cyclomethicone, water, alcohol, zinc oxide, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, isododecane, polymethylsilsesquioxane, propylene glycol dicaprate, polysilicone-15, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, dimethicone, akebia quinata stem extract, angelica acutiloba root extract, tocopherol, coix lacryma-jobi (job’s tears) seed extract, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, paeonia suffruticosa root extract, melothria heterophylla root extract, prunus persica (peach) leaf extract, butylene glycol, BHT, disodium EDTA, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, glycerin, sorbitan sesquiisostearate, cetyl dimethicone, zerolite, talc, triethoxycaprylylsilane, butyl polydimethylsiloxy ethoxypropyl phosphate, boron nitride, fragrance, mica.

December 1, 2018 / 1:31 pm

Sorry, I would avoid this due to the chemical sunscreens

26. RK
    December 2, 2018 / 1:09 am

Hello Dr. Christine,

I am keen to know if sunscreens containing OCTOCRYLENE are safe to use during pregnancy. Can you please comment if the following is a chemical sunscreen thus not safe to use.
    BIODERMA Photoderm MAX Aquafluide SPF 50+
    Its ingredients are:
    AQUA/WATER/EAU, DICAPRYLYL CARBONATE, OCTOCRYLENE, METHYLENE BIS-BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL [NANO], BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, GLYCERIN, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHYLPROPANEDIOL, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, C20-22 ALKYL PHOSPHATE, C20-22 ALCOHOLS, DECYL GLUCOSIDE, GLYCERYL STEARATE CITRATE, PENTYLENE GLYCOL, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, C30-45 ALKYL CETEARYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, DISODIUM EDTA, XANTHAN GUM, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, CELLULOSE GUM, RHAMNOSE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CITRIC ACID, ECTOIN, TOCOPHEROL. [BI 642]

Can you please recommend a mineral sunscreen (preferably Matte). I have looked at several sunscreens but they have some form of Salycylic acid. Is there any form of Salycylic acid which is safe to use during pregnancy?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

P.S. Your website is a life saviour!

December 2, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Octocrylene is a chemical sunscreen and should be avoided. There is no form of salicylic acid that would be considered safe. This entire post is full of pregnancy safe sunscreens, I also have a post (linked above several times) for pregnancy safe facial sunscreens.

27. RK
    December 2, 2018 / 1:12 am

Hello Dr. Christine,

I am keen to know if Micellar water is safe to use during pregnancy. As this is No rinse. I am using the following:
    Bioderma Sensibio H2O. Its list of ingredients are:

NGREDIENTS – COMPOSITION
    AQUA/WATER/EAU, PEG-6 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CETRIMONIUM BROMIDE, DISODIUM EDTA. [BI 446]

Please advise.

Thanks again.

December 2, 2018 / 1:33 pm

This is fine

28. RK
    December 9, 2018 / 2:19 am

Dear Dr. Christine,

I tried posting this comment in the Pregnancy skincare guide but it doesn’t seem to be picking up, thus posting this on this page even though this is sunscreen information. I hope you can help me with the details below:

Thank you for all the effort and a chance to review so many details in one website.

I have acne prone skin and keen to know if the following items are safe to use during pregnancy especially during the 1st trimester. These are:

LA ROCHE POSAY PRODUCTS. Both are non rinse:

* SEROZINC Face mist for Oily Skin: Can this be used daily to prevent breakout when pregnant, how often should it be used?

water, healing zinc sulphate (0.10%) and astringent sodium chloride (0.75%).

* Effaclar Micellar Water for Oily Skin. Can this be used daily as it has Zinc sulfate in it?

AQUA / WATER • PEG-7 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES • POLOXAMER 124 • POLOXAMER 184 • PEG-6 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES • GLYCERIN • POLYSORBATE 80 • ZINC PCA • SODIUM HYDROXIDE • DISODIUM EDTA • BHT • MYRTRIMONIUM BROMIDE • PARFUM / FRAGRANCE.

I believe the water is La Roche Posay Thermal spring water. Please include La Roche Posay and Bioderma products in your lists if possible.

* BIOSCREEN GINKOLIS Protective Moisturising gel: Can this be used twice a day. Is this safe? Please see the Ingredients in the links below, I am unable to copy and paste it are:

* My final question. Your previous post said it is best to avoid Citric Acid when pregnant and you did so in your 1st two trimesters.

Is this the case even in face wash or gel/ cleanser, which will be rinsed off after washing, as most of them come with Citric Acid.

Looking forward to your response.

Many thanks

December 9, 2018 / 12:41 pm

You happened to post your comment right after I had already responded to comments yesterday. This blog is a hobby (I make enough from ads to cover hosting, I don’t make a living or anything close to it), so I spent the day with my family, I had a full day with my girls. So I didn’t get to it until this morning, about 27 hours after you had asked. I’m sorry, but not sorry as I do need to spend time with my family, I answer comments about once every day to day and a half.

If you read the ingredient post, I explain that Citric acid was on a lot of lists and I avoided it in my first 2 trimesters with my first daughter and then I realized how silly it was, as I get more exposure from a glass of OJ. A LOT more. Don’t worry about citric acid. The products you posted are fine.

• RK
        December 10, 2018 / 12:32 am

Sorry, if it seemed like, but I didn’t mean to chase you on this and I surely respect your time. I thought that the questions pick up on the page prior to you response and this didn’t, thus I reposted.Anyway, it’s a wonderful thing you are doing and I am very grateful for your guidance. Thank you and God bless!

29. Lily
    December 12, 2018 / 10:42 am

Hello, Thank you so much for an amazing website. Just wondering if Zoe Foster Go-To Skincare range ZINCREDIBLE SPF 15 is safe:
    Ingredients –
    Water, zinc oxide, caprylic/capric triglyceride, propanediol, cetostearyl alcohol, betaine, shea butter, coco-glucoside, sorbitan olivate, natural fragrance (geranium and pomegranate), glycerol isostearate, beeswax, lecithin, milk thistle ethyl ester, coenzyme Q10, vitamin e, saccharide isomerate, polygonum aviculare extract, glycerin, sunflower oil, xanthan gum, sodium chloride, glyceryl caprylate, polyhydroxystearic acid, cerium oxide, stearic acid, caprylhydroxamic acid.

December 12, 2018 / 8:46 pm

Looks ok!

30. Britney
    December 12, 2018 / 11:42 am

I know this thread is about sunscreen. I was wondering if you know about any pregnancy safe mosquito repellants. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

December 12, 2018 / 8:45 pm

I don’t have a specific rec, I do know a lot of OBs have some they like.

December 21, 2018 / 7:07 pm

Looks ok

31. December 26, 2018 / 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for creating this article. I would love your opinion on the following item. Thank you again!

Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Face Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50

Active ingredient:
    Zinc oxide 21.6% (sunscreen).

Inactive ingredients:
    Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Octyldodecyl Citrate Crosspolymer, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Glycerin, Ethyl Methicone,Cetyl Dimethicone, Silica, Colloidal Oatmeal, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower/Leaf/Stem Juice, Glyceryl Behenate, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone/Bis-Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

December 30, 2018 / 8:44 pm

looks ok

32. Linh Nguyen
    January 1, 2019 / 2:39 am

Hello Doctor,

I just want to ask the following products are safe for pregnancy. Thanks a lot!

1. Hydro-Dynamic™ Ultimate Moisture

Ingredients:
    Water (Aqua), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Alcohol, Myristyl Myristate, Cetyl Alcohol, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Stearic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Yeast Extract (Faex), Algae Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Linoleic Acid, Phospholipids, Polysorbate 60, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Panthenol, Jojoba Alcohol, Potassium Jojobate, Polysorbate 80, Urea, Glucosamine HCl, PEG-8, Bisabolol, Sorbitan Oleate, Cetearyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Retinyl Palmitate, Allantoin, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Ethylhexylglycerin, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol

2. Rapid Collagen Infusion

Winged Kelp

A traditional treat from the sea for people living at the edge of the North Atlantic, Winged Kelp is also treasure trove of superstar skincare ingredients. This edible brown algae is rich in antioxidant polyphenols which help protect skin from damage caused by sun, smog and stress; Ceramides and Fatty Acids which calm and soothe irritated, inflamed skin; and complex elements that, when used in prescription cosmetic fillers, boost collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid production to plump skin.

Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Olivate, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Olivate, Butylene Glycol, Honey (Mel), Urea, Yeast Amino Acids, Trehalose, Inositol, Taurine, Betaine, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Alaria Esculenta Extract, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil Unsaponifiables, Sodium Hyaluronate, Collagen Amino Acids, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Zinc Gluconate, Ascorbic Acid, Chitosan, Propyl Gallate, Polysorbate 20, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Linalool, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil

January 1, 2019 / 12:41 pm

#1 is not, it has licorice root. #2 is ok

33. Sally
    January 1, 2019 / 10:41 pm

Hi there
    I have been using DERMALOGICA OIL FREE MATTE SUNSCREEN SPF30 for around 5 months. Ingredients below:

Active ingredients: Avobenzone 3.00%, Homosalate 8.00%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 5.00%. Other ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Homosalate, Benzophenone-3, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol, Nylon-12, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Oleanolic Acid, Niacinamide, Yeast Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Panthenol, Zinc Gluconate, Caffeine, Biotin, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Sodium DNA, Tocopherol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carbomer, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Limonene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Behenyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitan Stearate, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silesquioxane Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA.

I am now 11 weeks pregnant, and have only now learned of the risks of some of the active ingredients in this product (namely oxybenzone and avobenzone from your posts). Are you able to briefly explain the potential risks on the pregnancy, and the likelihood of consequences? I have only used the product on my face and neck. I know a number of other pregnant women searching for this information, too.

Thanks so much!

January 3, 2019 / 9:16 am

I would avoid this due to the chemical sunscreens.

We don’t know the potential risks really, we know that many of these ingredients (including the chemical sunscreens) do get into the body and haven’t been proven to be safe. The studies to prove what they do and how much you need to be exposed to will never be done, they are unethical to perform. I’m on the more conservative side and say to avoid all chemical sunscreens (some of them are also salicylates, so multiple reasons to avoid them). However, not all physicians do say to avoid. Many women never consider their skincare while pregnant and everything turns out fine. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just swap to another product.

34. Mary
    January 2, 2019 / 3:37 pm

Hello,

Is Supergood Defense Refresh Setting Mist with SPF 50 pregnancy safe?
    Active Ingredients:
    Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 4.0%, Octinoxate 6.0%, Octisalate 3.0%

Inactive Ingredients:
    Alcohol Denat., Butyloctyl Salicylate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Isododecane, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Stem/Leaf Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, PVP, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Silica Silylate, Water

January 2, 2019 / 4:23 pm

No, this has chemical sunscreens

35. Amanda
    January 7, 2019 / 9:57 pm

Hello, there is this locally (small batch) made sunscreens being sold in Manila. The brand is Skinlabnaturals. They confirmed this is SPF 75 invisible sunscreen with no white cast and no chemical sunscreen ingredients. What do you think? Is this safe for pregnancy and nursing? Last ingredient is titanium dioxide – do you think this will be effective as sunscreen?

Ingredients are:

Seaweed Base, Fruit Stemcell, Fermented Okra, Fermented Aloe Vera, Soy Protein, Plant Squalanex Centella Asiatica Extract, Avocado Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Macadamia Oil, Hazel Nut Oil, Astaxantin Extract, Titanium Dioxide.

36. Amanda
    January 8, 2019 / 10:14 pm

Thank you for flagging that!

37. Luiza
    January 13, 2019 / 7:13 am

Hello Dr,

I read all the suncream to check if mine was here before I post it as I know you are a busy mama, and I don’t want to waste your time.
    The one I’m currently using is called Biore Uv perfect Milk spf 50+

The ingredients are…
    Cyclopentasiloxane,, water,, alcohol,, zinc oxide,, dimethicone,, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate,, lauryl methacrylate/sodium methacrylate crosspolymer,, ratzillacosme.com do.not.copy,, C12-15 alkyl benzoate,, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate,, titanium dioxide,, polymethylsilsesquioxane,, bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine,, talc,, methicone,, PEG-12 dimethicone,, PEG-3 dimethicone,, polysilicone-9,, alumina,, silica,, sodium hyaluronate,, phenoxyethanol,, fragrance.

January 13, 2019 / 8:48 am

This has chemical sunscreens, so I wouldn’t use this.

38. Fany
    January 16, 2019 / 1:38 am

Hello Dr,

My name is Fany. I’ve sent you a message before but when i double checked, i think it failed as i don’t see my own post. Just in case double very sorry.

I just want to thank you for your superb post! It help a lot and def giving to knowledge to first mom to be. Many thanks. Regarding sunscreen topic, would you help check this Colorescience mineral sunscreen ingredients? Is it safe to use during pregancy and breastfeeding?

Active Ingredients:
    Titanium Dioxide 22.5%; Zinc Oxide 22.5%

Inactive Ingredients:
    Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol/Propylsilsequioxane/Silicate Crosspolymer, Lycopodium Clavatum Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Imperata Cyclindrica Root Extract, Glycerin, Water, Caesalpinia Spinosa Fruit Pod Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Quercus Robur (Oak) Wood Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Sprout Extract, Maltodextrin, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Laureth-4, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Thank you!

January 16, 2019 / 10:53 am

this is fine for pregnancy and nursing!

39. Natalie
    January 18, 2019 / 10:56 pm

Hi Dr.

I am curious if this supergoop product is safe during pregnancy. Thank you. 🙂

Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40

Ingredients
    -Octinoxate 7.5%: Sunscreen
    -Zinc Oxide 10.1%: Sunscreen
    -Olive Polyphenols

Water, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propanediol, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Adipic Acid/Diethylene Glycol/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Isohexadecane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Ceteareth-20, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Squalane, Xanthan Gum, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower), Seed Oil, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Chlorphenesin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Oleth-3, Phosphate, Punica Granatum Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Polysorbate 60, Citric Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Euterpe, Oleracea Fruit Extract, Methylisothiazolinone, Tocotrienols.

January 19, 2019 / 1:29 pm

No, I would avoid this due to the chemical sunscreen

40. Anna
    January 22, 2019 / 2:05 pm

Hello,
    First of all, thank you for all the information you are writing and sharing here.
    I have two questions, if you have the time:
    1. What is your opinion about parabens? I am asking because I was thinking about avoiding the Kiehls ultra facial moisturizer because it has the methylparaben and one other paraben. It could be due to country (I’m in Europe)

2. Could you let me know if the following sunscreen is safe?
    Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen Tinted Face SPF 50 Mineral Lotion Non-Greasy

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Titanium dioxide 4%, zinc oxide 4%. Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, caprylyl glycol, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, disodium EDTA, disteardimonium hectorite, eucalyptus globulus leaf extract, glycerin, hexyl laurate, iron oxides, panthenol, PEG-10 dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, polymethylsilsesquioxane, porphyra umbilicalis (red algae) extract, silica, squalane, stearic acid, terminalia ferdinandiana (kakadu plum) fruit extract, tocopheryl acetate*, triethoxycaprylylsilane, water.
    *Vitamin E

Thank you very much.

January 25, 2019 / 8:43 am

No, it has chemical sunscreens

41. Michele
    January 26, 2019 / 7:49 am

Hi you mentioned before what all over body bronzer you recommend since self tanning isn’t safe and I can’t find the comment anymore. What are the all over bronzers you would use in place of self tanners? Thank you!

January 26, 2019 / 11:18 am

Unfortunately the one I was using was discontinued. I’ll start trying some new ones!

42. Erica
    January 26, 2019 / 10:02 am

Hello,

I see you have commented on some Coola products, but I do not see Mineral Face SPF 30 Matte Tint Moisturizer.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide – 3.2%, Zinc Oxide – 1.8%

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    Aluminum Hydroxide, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Iron Oxides, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Mica, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Plankton Extract, Polyamide-5, Polysilicone-11, Propylene Carbonate, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Silica Silylate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Synthetic Wax

January 26, 2019 / 11:16 am

This one is fine

43. Katrina
    January 28, 2019 / 4:14 pm

Hi Doctor,

I live in New Zealand. Wearing sunscreen is highly recommended in here and I was researching online and came across your website.
    I would like to ask if these products are safe for pregnancy:

1. Ultra Sheer® Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 100+
    Active ingredients

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 10%, Oxybenzone 6%

Inactive ingredients

Water, Styrene/acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Beeswax, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Acrylates/dimethicone Copolymer, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance, Chlorphenesin, Triethanolamine, Diethylhexyl 2,6-naphthalate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Methylisothiazolinone.

2. Brush on Block Translucent Mineral Powder Sunscreen

Active Ingredients
    Titanium Dioxide (15%) and Zinc Oxide (12%)
    Inactive Ingredients
    Alumina, Boron Nitride, Chamomile Flower Extract, Green Tea Extract, Honeysuckle Flower Extract, Iron Oxides, Mica, Rice Lipids, Rice Starch, Safflower Oil, Silica, Stearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylsilane

Thank you.

January 28, 2019 / 10:06 pm

The first I would avoid due to the chemical sunscreens. The 2nd has ingredients that are fine, but note to get the advertised SPF value you’ll need 17g of product for your face….

• Katrina
        January 30, 2019 / 5:29 pm

It is advertised as Broad Spectrum SPF 30.

January 30, 2019 / 5:57 pm

Yes, but to reach the 30 you need to have the testing amount of powder on your face. For powders to reach that concentration you need 17g, most products are only 30 grams. and it is physically impossible to apply that much product.

44. Leslie
    January 28, 2019 / 6:02 pm

Hello! Is Thinkbaby sunscreen safe?

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20% (Non-nano)
    Inactive Ingredients: PURIFIED WATER (0), ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE (0), CAPRIC CAPRYLIC TRIGLYCERIDES(0), SORBITAN STEARATE (COCONUT BASED) (1), PINE WOOD RESIN (0), VEGETABLE GLYCERIN (0), CETYL DIMETHICONE (0), HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL (0), MAGNESIUM SULFATE (EPSOM SALT) (0), SUNFLOWER OIL, JOJOBA OIL (0), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) (0), TOCOPHEROLS (VITAMIN E) (1), OLIVE OIL (0), RASPBERRY SEED OIL (0), CRANBERRY SEED OIL (0), HYALURONIC ACID (MADE FROM VEGETABLE) (0), GLUCOSE & GLUCOSE OXIDASE AND LACTOPEROXIDASE (0), PAPAYA (0)

Thank you!

January 28, 2019 / 9:58 pm

This is ok

45. Anja
    January 29, 2019 / 9:09 am

Hello,
    Is it safe to use Heliocare Advanced Gel SPF 50 having below ingredients?
    Thank you in advance!
    Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Octocrylene, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone, Zinc Oxide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Polypodium Leucotomos Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Laureth-7, Cetyl Dimethicone, Camelia Sinensis Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dichlorobenzyl Alcohol, Mycrococcus Lysate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alumina, BHT, Simethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Parfum, Linalool, Limonene.

January 29, 2019 / 10:44 am

Sorry, this has chemical sunscreens

46. Desiree
    February 4, 2019 / 1:45 pm

Are these safe to use?

1. Klairs soft airy uv essence

Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Dibutyl Adipate, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Silica, Cetearyl Olivate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Olivate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Panthenol, Beta-Glucan, Disodium EDTA, Citrus Junos Fruit Extract, Adenosine, Sodium Hyaluornate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tocopherol, Allantoin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil

2. Neogen

Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Zinc Oxide, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Hexanediol, Isoamyl P-Methoxycinnamate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus(Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Carbomer, Lippia Citriodora Leaf Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Beta-Glucan, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower Extract, Artemisia Absinthium Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Alumina, Gentiana Lutea Root Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Litsea Cubeba Fruit Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Cedrus Atlantica Wood Oil, Disodium Edta, Potassium Hydroxide, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis(Orange) Oil, Aluminum Stearate.

Thanks!😊

February 4, 2019 / 2:40 pm

Both have chemical sunscreens

47. Jed
    February 8, 2019 / 10:24 am

Hi! just wondering if these products are safe for a pregnant woman to use.

Garnier Skin Active BB cream

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 3%, Titanium Dioxide 4.7%. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Peg-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Nylon-12, Cyclohexasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Stearyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Caffeine, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Benzyl Alcohol, Geraniol, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Polyphosphorylcholine Glycol Acrylate, Citral, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance; May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Etude House Sunprise Natural Corrector SPF 50+

WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ZINC OXIDE (CI 77947), HEXYL LAURATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE, LAURYL PEG-10 TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILOXY)SILYLETHYL DIMETHICONE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, NIACINAMIDE, BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, SILICA, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, QUATERNIUM-18 BENTONITE, BEESWAX, MAGNESIUM STEARATE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, STEARIC ACID, HYDROGEN DIMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, TILIA PLATYPHYLLOS FLOWER EXTRACT, SODIUM BENZOATE, GLYCERIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA,CAREX HUMILLIS ROOT EXTRACT, POTASSIUM SORBATE, POLYHYDROXYSTEARIC ACID, ADENOSINE, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, ISOSTEARIC ACID, LECITHIN, ALCOHOL, POLYGLYCERYL -3 POLYRICINOLEATE, MALPIGHIA PUNICIFOLIA (ACEROLA) FRUIT EXTRACT, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, MALTODEXTRIN, EUTERPE OLERACEA FRUIT EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, FRAGRANCE, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499

Thank you in advance!

February 8, 2019 / 11:28 am

Sorry, they both have chemical sunscreens and salicylates

• Jed
        February 19, 2019 / 3:36 pm

Awww! Thank you for your reply.
        I have one more product to ask though.

Madeca derma Centellian 24

Ingredients:
        Glycerin 2.0%, Niacinamide 2.0%, Centella Asiatica Leaf Water, Butylene Glycol, Squalane, Alcohol Denat., Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Hydrogenated Poly(C6-14 Olefin), Glyceryl Stearate, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Stearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Pentylene Glycol, Synthetic Beeswax, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG-100 Stearate, Polyacrylate-13, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Phenoxyethanol, Asiaticoside, Madecassic Acid, Asiatic Acid, Polyisobutene, Caprylyl Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 20, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Adenosine, Disodium EDTA, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Raspberry Seed Oil/Tocopheryl Succinate Aminopropanediol Esters, Polydecene, Dipropylene Glycol, Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaiba) Resin, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Sodium Palmitoyl Proline, Artemisia Absinthium Extract, Rose Flower Oil, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ferula Galbaniflua (Galbanum) Resin Oil, Thuja Occidentalis Leaf Oil, Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract, PEG-8, Carpinus Tschonoskii Leaf Extract, Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Fruit Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Veronica Officinalis Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Hedera Helix (Ivy) Leaf/Stem Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower/Leaf Extract, Carbomer, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Phytic Acid, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Morus Bombycis Wood Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Water, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Water, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Iris Versicolor Extract, Leontopodium Alpinum Flower/Leaf Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Rose Extract, Freesia Refracta Extract, Narcissus Pseudo-Narcissus (Daffodil) Flower Extract, Monarda Didyma Leaf Extract

February 19, 2019 / 5:21 pm