- About Me
- Contact Me
- Copyright Info
- About The Site
- Special Series
- Quick Looks
- Mommy Beauty
- My Favorites
- Favorites of Beauty Experts
- Anti-Aging 101
- Concealer Review Series
- Sunscreen 101
- Manicure 101
- Beauty Posts by Topic
- Skin Care
- Blog Roll
Tuesday, January 01, 2013
So, here they are, the top 10 products that I find myself reaching for over and over. I have to hide them from myself when I am testing other products (totally true!) but I break them out in between testings and sometimes on days that I just need my favorite eye liner. I'm sure I've received these as samples from the companies, but I've bought them myself. Over and over and over...
1. Neutrogena Naturals Cleanser: This has a permanent spot on my counter. While it doesn't remove the most stubborn of eye makeup, it does remove everything else (such as normal, every day stuff) quickly and easily with just a washcloth or my Clarisonic.
2. CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara: Yes, you really can wear 30 coats of this stuff without a clump in site. You don't really need to though. I'm a big fan of layering my mascaras, and this is now my daily go-to mascara. I just grab randomly for the other one (I'm slowing working through my giant mascara drawer to find a killer combo), but this one is always there.
3. Revitalash: Yes, it works. I just reordered mine (I'm buying from Drugstore.com now, it is much cheaper there!) but this is definitely my secret weapon.
4. Milk of Magnesia: I'm not even that oily, but no mattifier has ever come close to the results I get from using Milk of Magnesia as a primer. I don't really use it in the winter, but this is a must for summer!
5. Kiehl's Ultra Facial SPF 15: I've lost track of how many posts I've featured this moisturizer in at this point. I love it. This is my go-to daily moisturizer.
6. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery: I won't travel without this product. I swear that airplanes actively pull moisture from your body, my skin hates it. I use this about once every 2 weeks or so throughout the winter, though now that my toddler wants to play in the snow I'm sure that my frequency will increase this winter.
7. Elizabeth Arden Smoky Liner: You may have noticed that I include this liner in a lot of my looks, though it doesn't have its own review post. I have it in black, brown and navy, though I'm thinking of picking up a few other colors. This liner is perfect for pushing into my lash line, it is just soft enough and is just smudgy enough and it lasts by far the longest on my water line. I just bought a back up black a few weeks ago, despite the huge number of black liners already in my eye liner drawer (yes, I have a drawer. Ok, it is half of a drawer, the other half is mascara. But, I still have issues.)
8. NYX Eyeshadow Base: This is another product that I break out almost every day, but only feature in looks on the blog. I use the skin tone version of this, it comes in a little pot and I swear that I have over half of it left despite nearly daily use for about 18 months. It has the consistency and coverage of a concealer, which is perfect since I have some visible vessels on my eyelids and covering them before my eye shadow looks a lot better. I do get a little better wear for my shadows when wearing UDPP or TFSI, but the NYX covers the vessels and my shadow is about 95% intact at the end of the day.
9. MAC Mineralize Eye Shadow in Family Silver: I've been wearing this shadow for years, and I would love MAC to re-issue it. While it isn't super pigmented, somehow this is the shadow that pulls everything together and makes it all look more polished. Half is a grey with metallic, the other half is an off white, faintly silver color, again with some coppery-gold highlights. Somehow when my shadow isn't quite right, a little of the light or darker grey and some blending makes it all better.
10. Wet'n'Wild Nutty Shadow: This is my perfect crease color. For under $2.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
While stocking up on essentials like 8 Hour Cream and Prevage sounds great, none of us were there are the pop-up. Luckily Elizabeth Arden has decided to give 2 15 Minute Beauty readers one of their most popular products!
2 winners will each get 1 bottle of Visible Difference Optimizing Skin Serum. Open to those in the US and over 18 years of age.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I think if I'd been at the Elizabeth Arden pop-up this would have been in my bag when I left! Also, a lot of 8 hour cream. And eye liner (the EA smoky liner is my favorite basic black liner). Yes, eye liner!
Tuesday, October 02, 2012
Doesn't it seem like every fall the trends are the same? A "return to ladylike elegance", darker/red lips and nails, more coverage with your foundation... many of those things are no brainers. They just go with fall much more than unstructured beachy waves and hot pink nail polish.
This year there are a few additions/variations to the typical fall trends. The first is the addition of dark lips. Rather than just the classic red lip (though that's there too this fall), this summer we suddenly saw dark, deep vampy lips pop up at the Met Ball. And it's still here. Eyes definitely are brown this season, though that should obviously be varied a bit depending on what else you have going on. I also love the flushed, pretty cheeks that were seen on many fall runways.
I've opted to combine 2 of these trends, the brown eye (toned down a bit, but definitely still brown) and the dark lip. I opted for the brown lip because I had a new MAC lippie that I wanted to try out, though I'll show you later how I toned it down a bit to not look like super goth girl (I don't have a problem with that look, it just isn't my look).
Anastasia She Wears it Well Palette: I love all of the neutrals in this palette and it has a good mix of shimmer (though not too much shimmer for me) and matte.
Elizabeth Arden Smokey Eyes Liner in Espresso: These are my favorite liners! They are strong enough to stand up to anything (I hate applying liner to have the pencil smoosh itself against my lid rather than apply to the eye), but apply smoothly and can be easily smudged immediately. It lasts all day! EA sent me 2 about 2 years ago and I can't even tell you how many times I've repurchased since then.
Korres Magic Light Face Contouring trio in Santorini: This is really pretty, but overall very neutral. I think I have a post around here somewhere, which of course I can't find now. A bit tan, a bit pink, a bit peach.... you get the picture. I just didn't think that this look would go well with a pretty pink flush.
Stila Stay All Day Foundation and Concealer: I really need to review this stuff, but I really like it a lot. It is a medium coverage foundation, though the coverage is buildable. They even put a matching concealer in the lid!
As usual, I layered 2 mascaras, here I used Maybelline Lots of Lashes and Show Off Mascara by Beauty Addicts.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Monday, March 12, 2012
Friday, November 18, 2011
This lipstick is interesting because it has a gold shimmer incorporated in it, and while in the tube it appears to be a warm orange based red. But once applied it morphs into a coral-red with the pretty shimmer. I did like it, though in person it was a bit too warm for my cool toned skin.
Monday, October 17, 2011
This is an amazing red. It applied like a dream, felt hydrating and lasted for hours. I think it is the best red lipstick that I've tried so far, and I've tried quite a few. This is definitely making it into my lipstick drawer, which is a rarity these days (it's quite full, something has to be amazing to make it in to that stash!)
Definitely check this one out if you want a great red.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Have you seen the new Elizabeth Arden ads for the Red Door Anniversary? I love how the model looks both before and after she passes through the Red Door and I couldn't wait to find out more about her looks.
Here's a quick peek behind the scenes....
Friday, September 04, 2009
I'm not sure that I've ever seen them do this, but one of my favorite brands, Elizabeth Arden, is having an end of season sale on their website! The sale only lasts until the 8th, and they have free shipping without a minimum order.
Color Intrigue Gel Eyeliner
• Read my review
Mediterranean Breeze Fragrance
• Read my review
Elizabeth Arden Destination Beauty Travel Kit
This kit contains:
• 4 Elizabeth Arden Eyeshadows in Pink, Slate, Lilac and Taupe
• Elizabeth Arden Cheekcolor in Rose and Pink Shimmer
• Color Inrigue Effects Lipstick in Rosy Shimmer: This lipstick applies like a dream and lasts for forever! Read my review here
• Ceramide Lash Extending Treatment Mascara in Black: This mascara reached holy grail status when I first reviewed it. Read my review
Shop the whole Elizabeth Arden sale here
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
So, the next products I've tried out in my quest to use every anti-aging product line on the market are from Elizabeth Arden. The Intervene line is geared towards women 25-39, addressing "the first signs of aging" and helping you to "maintain skin's radiance and natural glow." Sounds pretty good to me!
So, what exactly does this line provide? While the products I tried out don't contain sunscreens or retinoids, they do have peptides and anti-oxidants. They also promote their "Biodormin" technology quite heavily.
"This new anti-aging technology extracts its key ingredient from the Narcissus Tazetta Bulb, during its period of dormancy. Studies show this extract has the ability to help slow the visible effects of aging on the skin. "
While I'm not sure about this ingredient, I do like that there is more than 1 type of active ingredient in these products.
After using these products for about 4 weeks I can't say that I've noticed less aging in my skin. I don't have wrinkles, there is nothing to turn around. What I did notice that my skin looked great. I was well moisturized, my skin didn't break out and my make up was easy to apply and blend every morning. I really enjoyed these products and I know I'll be pulling them out of my drawer in the future to use when I'm between product testings.
Stress Recovery Night Cream
This night cream is great! It is thick but not overly so. It feels amazing as it sinks into my skin, absorbing completely within a minute or so. It definitely hydrated well without leaving me a sticky mess to absorb into my pillowcase. It has a slight floral scent, but it's so faint I can't smell it at all after application.
Timefighting Radiance Serum
This serum is really more like a light lotion, with the consistency of one as well. It has basically no smell, absorbs quickly and easily hydrating my skin perfectly. I was able to apply makeup over this without any issues. I sometimes have problems with being a greasy mess about an hour after application if a daytime moisturizer is too heavy for me, which did not occur with this.
Pause & Effect Moisture Eye Cream
This is a pretty thick eye cream that absorbs quickly and easily, leaving the area well hydrated for makeup application. I had no issues with dryness or over hydration.
Elizabeth Arden Intervene Line
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
This bronzer from EA is perhaps the darkest of the bronzers (I have the medium shade) that I'll be featuring this week. It is layerable and with the included kabuki brush (yes, not the highest quality brush but it definitely works better than a smaller brush that fits into the compact) you can get a easily layered, light application. There is just a touch of shimmer, in this bronzer it does seem to be a bit of a coppery shimmer which is very pretty.
Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Bronzing Powder
Monday, March 02, 2009
It's not that often that a company will create an entirely new note for a fragrance, but that is exactly what Elizabeth Arden did for their new fragrance, Pretty. They created a new floral note, named Petalia, which was meant to be unique and easy to wear.
I honestly have had a very difficult time coming up with a way to describe this note or the scent. Overall, this really is just a very pretty floral scent with a bit of citrus/peach added in. Initially the floral notes are more white florals (definitely due to the White Peony middle note), but after about an hour I smell a warmer floral, very similar to a violet note, mixed with the Star Jasmine.
Top Notes: Italian Mandarin, Orange Blossom, Peach Nectar
Middle Notes: Petalia, Star Jasmine, Pink Iris, White Peony
Base Notes: Fluffy Musk, Jacaranda Wood, Creamy Amber
I really do love wearing this scent. It is subtle and classic, but not like every other white floral out there.
I think my husband summed it up best a few days ago. He came to me in the kitchen and just started talking about how I smelled. I asked what he thought. "I like it, you just smell really pretty." Exactly.
Elizabeth Arden's Pretty
Friday, January 30, 2009
I love trying out new foundations. Why? I'm not sure. I'll find one I like, buy it a few times, then I get allured by new things out there. I guess that's why I have this blog!
So, when I heard about the new foundation from Elizabeth Arden I was excited to try it out. I've had some good and some bad experiences with mineral makeup. But, I've always had great success with Elizabeth Arden. I was hoping to have results like my previous L'Oreal success, but maybe with easier application.
Overall, I found this new Elizabeth Arden to be a great foundation. It comes in a really great compact. The foundation itself is a pressed powder, but if you look carefully there is a metal plate over it. You can get the makeup by running a brush over the metal plate for a small amount of foundation, or you can twist the plate and it will scrape up some foundation for you! This gives you a lot of control over how much foundation you get and where it goes. While the foundation comes with a powder puff, I also used a brush for more coverage.
The foundation itself is fantastic. The coverage is very buildable, blends very easily and the finish is very natural. With the enclosed puff the coverage is very light. I got medium coverage using a small brush, I'm sure you could use it for fuller coverage as well if you want. I found that the foundation lasted easily all day, without the typical mid-afternoon issues that many foundations have.
This is a foundation I can definitely recommend! Check it out next time you're on the market for foundation.
Elizabeth Arden's Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
I have a secret.
I have been holding out on you, my dear readers.
For months now I have been quietly enjoying more Prevage formulations, meaning to write about them, but of course, I've been distracted. Well, no more! I'll share them with you!
Prevage is one of the most popular anti-aging lines in the US. And for good reason! I've explained the active ingredients in the past (check out my night cream review here). Basically, incredibly powerful anti-oxidants.
While I've had great luck with the night cream, I really wanted to try out the other formulations in the line, so I've been using the new body lotion and the eye cream. Both products are also full of the same anti-oxidant technology. The whole line has the same light perfumed scent.
Do they work? I'm sure they do (check out those clinical results over in the night cream post, similar results for these products). I don't have wrinkles, so I can't comment on that. But, I feel that anti-oxidants are definitely indicated for prevention of aging, so I've been happy to include these in my daily routine.
The eye cream is very creamy (sorry, don't really have another word here), and it feels great as it absorbs into the skin. I do think it takes a minute or two to fully absorb, but when it does the eye area is perfectly prepared for makeup. I really do think it makes my concealer apply more easily and look better. Honestly, not every eye cream I try does this. I even love the tube this product comes in, it's air-tight, keeping the product as active as possible.
The body lotion is very hydrating, and while most of it does absorb right away there is a slight residue left behind. I actually really do like this, I'm not sure why. It makes me feel very soft and well hydrated. Is that weird? Anyways, this lotion is a bit expensive, but there are only a few anti-aging body lotions on the market. I'm trying to reserve this for the areas on my body that will age the fastest, so primarily my chest, shoulders and arms.
If your New Year's Resolution is to amp up your anti-aging routine you might want to check these products out.
Prevage Eye Anti-Aging Moisturizing Treatment
Prevage Body Total Transforming Anti-Aging Moisturizer