It’s that time of year again, when invitations to parties start to roll in. Some you’re excited to attend, a few might just be an obligation. Either way, I like to look my best when heading out to a holiday party, which usually means a polished look with a bit of something special, whether it’s a sparkly eye look or a statement lip.
Recently Kohl’s asked me to share how I get ready for a holiday party, and I thought it was a great chance for a pretty look that would work for a work function or neighborhood party. It can easily be glammed up a bit with more eyeliner as well!
To start, I headed to my local Kohl’s to shop. I ended up basically buying the entire Lorac line! I love her products, the colors always work so well, and the formulas are great. I was able to pick up a new foundation, the Pro3 Palette that I’ve had my eye on for a while, and a great liquid eyeliner pen.
There were a lot of holiday beauty sets out on display, and I couldn’t help myself! I bought two sets for myself, and almost bought a third. These sets are a steal! The blush set has a very universally flattering pink blush and a light gold highlighter. They’re perfect to give as a gift or to keep for yourself.
The lip gloss set is really a must have, it has six very pigmented, glossy lip glosses. I found that the colors were very flattering and I think would work for all skin tones, they aren’t sticky and last about 4 hours without reapplication. There was a similar set of lip sticks, which I might go back to pick up for myself when I’m doing some Christmas shopping.
Let’s be honest though, the purchase I was most excited about was the Pro3 Palette! It was released over the summer, and I’ve been holding off on purchasing it for some reason. Recently, a few friends have been raving about how versatile the shadows have been for fall, and I was so excited that Kohl’s had the palette in stock! I’ve had a hard time tracking it down in person.
I love that the palette has a mix of both matte and shimmer shadows. They are all well pigmented, blend well and last all day when applied over the Lorac Behind The Scenes Eye Primer.
I like to step up my skincare routine a bit for the holiday party season. For me, that means evening out my skin tone and clearing out my pores! I love to use glycolic acid to help with both of these goals, but since I have sensitive skin, I have to be very careful about what products I use to get the glowing skin I crave.
One of my recent skin care finds is Bliss’s That’s Incredi-Peel, which is a time release glycolic acid. This makes the peel much gentler on my skin, but I still get great results! I use it a few times a week, especially if I’ve been wearing a lot of makeup.
To help clear out my pores even more, Bliss’s Multi-‘Face’-Eted All-in-One Mask is one of my favorites to pull excess oil and debris out of my pores.
Finally, I use Bliss Fabulips a few times a week to prevent my lips from getting dry and chapped. Statement lip colors don’t look good over peeling lips!
I decided to create a fairly neutral eye look, letting the bright red lip gloss take center stage. The eye look is fairly simple with the thin line of liquid liner, but it could easily be punched up by adding some black smudged liner instead!
1. I started with my lid prepped with Behind the Scenes Eye Primer. I then applied a light layer of Pink Nude all over my lid and up to the brow bone as a base color.
2. Next I applied Light Pewter to my mobile lid, just up to the crease. I used a smaller shadow brush and did pat it on some, I wanted a denser application of color than the wash I had applied with Pink Nude.
3. Next I applied a single sweep of Dark Brown into my crease. This color is too dark for me to use all over my crease, but just one sweep and then a lighter color over it provides great definition.
4. Next I used a slightly looser crease brush to pick up a bit of Terracotta, I used this color over the Dark Brown to add more definition to my crease. This color spread up over my brow bone a bit more and down on to my lid, and it helped to blend out the dark brown.
5. Once my shadows were in place, I applied a light light of Front of the Line PRO Liquid Eyeliner in black to my lash line. I applied it right at the base of my lashes and did wing it out very slightly. For a more dramatic look, I would have used an angled liner brush to apply black shadow from the palette over the liner, smudging out the shadow.
6. Finally, I curled my lashes and applied PRO Plus Fiber Mascara. I love that this mascara gives my lashes a lot of length and volume, but doesn’t make my lashes clumpy.
Once my eyes were done, I completed the look:
• PRO Brow Pencil in Dark Brown: This pencil is very thin and applies easily to my brow. I love that there’s a spoolie brush attached to the other end, I like to brush a lot after applying my brow pencil to help soften the look.
• POREfection Foundation and POREfection Baked Perfecting Powder: This foundation is a medium to full coverage, and when I apply with a kabuki brush there’s enough coverage that I don’t need to use a concealer! In person, the foundation looks pretty natural, and it has a matte finish.
• Color Source Buildable Blush in Aura: This is one of the forever sold out shades of blush near me for a good reason! This rose color is very pretty and works for everyone. The woman who checked me out said she was wearing the same color, and we had a great discussion about universally flattering shades that work for everyone! Her skin tone was very deep, and the color was very pretty on her. She also looked AMAZING in the Celebrity gloss as well. So, of course I had to try that one out first.
• Alter Ego Lip Gloss in Celebrity: Lorac describes this shade as a brick red, but I swear there’s a bit of pink to it! The gloss is very pigmented, feels hydrating and I didn’t think it was sticky. It lasts for hours, and I love that there’s a broad range of shades in the gift set.
Do you want to try out some of these products yourself? Kohl’s has an amazing coupon out right now! You can get $10 off your prestige beauty purchase of $50 or more. Valid 12/15-12/24 in-store only.
Check out some of the holiday beauty items at Kohl’s online or the next time you’re in the store!
This post is part of a collaboration with Kohl’s. The opinions and Lorac obsession are my own.