Amy Marturana has written for Huffington Post, and Prevention Magazine. She’s currently a writer and managing editor at You Beauty. I was able to ask her about her favorite beauty products and tips, she previously shared her favorite mascaras and mascara tips, great eyeshadow advice, her perfect foundation tips and her favorite drugstore makeup products.
1. Red lipstick: Every woman should own one good reliable lipstick, whether it’s an expensive, luxe brand or from the drugstore. My favorites are Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge and MAC Brave Red.
2. Dry Shampoo: Klorane Dry Shampoo With Oat Milk. My thin hair and oil-prone scalp make me the perfect candidate for dry shampoo, which is why I’ve tried probably every one out there. Klorane’s is light, not sticky, and smells fresh (no overpowering baby powder scent). You also don’t need to use half a can like some other brands out there. I use this every other morning so I can skip a day in between shampoos.
3. Stay Put Lipstick: Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon. If you want a lipstick that won’t budge through a meal, this is your best bet. It’s matte but not drying, and the small pencil form makes it kind of like a lip liner and lipstick all in one. My favorite shade is Pêche, a warm peachy orange.
4. Primer: Dermalogica Age Smart Skinperfect Primer. My go-to primer to wear under any other face makeup, or to just wear alone for a fresh, smooth look. Plus, it’s got SPF 30— a must in my beauty routine.
5. Hairspray: Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray. This is my go-to hairspray for curling. My hair is poker straight, and needs a lot of help when it comes to holding a curl—the problem is, many products make it too stiff and crunchy. This flexible hairspray actually makes it so my hair holds a curl and still looks bouncy and natural.
6. Shadow Primer: Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Minor Sin. Apply this before your shadow, and your makeup will stay put until you wipe it off with remover. This shimmery champagne version works on its own, or to just add a highlighted effect to the rest of your color palette.
7. Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. The name may not be completely true, but this mascara is certainly better than many others out there. The full and contoured brush spread the product evenly and gives great volume and length to lashes.
Shop the Post