Last week I shared with you reorganized makeup vanity, which my every day makeup favorites have been hanging out on, in a pretty tray. These are items that I reach for day after day, but most of them are splurges. I promised an update with lower priced options. While these items aren’t currently in that tray, they are good alternatives and most of them would have been found in the tray at some point.
I’ve been using the super splurge YSL BB Cream for the last month or so, which is a good match for my skin tone and offers very light coverage.
• Yves Saint Laurent Top Secrets BB Cream Skintone Perfector in Clear (from Nordstrom, Sephora or YSL Beauty)
I haven’t explored drugstore BB Creams as much as I should have, but that’s really because the ones that I have found I’ve liked enough to use over and over.
• Pond’s Luminous Finish BB Plus Cream (at Amazon or Target): I’ve probably bought 7 or 8 tubes of this BB Cream in the past, and would still be my favorite if my skin wasn’t on the lighter side (and therefore too light). This is the heaviest coverage of the 3.
• CoverGirl Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisture (from ULTA or Target): This is the lightest coverage of the trio.
• L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream (from ULTA or Target
I like a super pigmented concealer that blends well whether it is used on its own or when mixed with other products. I’ve been using the Clarins, but there are a few other options that I’ve had great results with as well.
• Clarins Instant Concealer in 01 (at Nordstrom or Clarins)
I don’t reach for corrector every day, but when I have an area of discoloration that’s a bit stronger, I do reach for my corrector. My areas are usually red, so I use a green corrector, you can learn more about how to use a color corrector. You’ll need more vivid correctors for more intense discoloration. The Face Stockholm corrector that I use pretty much every day is just barely tinted, so it is pretty subtle. The Maybelline is the closest in terms of vividness, but the NYX Jar is closer in consistency.
• Face Stockholm Corrective Concealer (at DermStore or Face Stockholm)
I mix a little concealer and Bobbi Brown CC Cream, which is basically a light luminizer, and apply it all over my BB Cream and under just concealer alone. I’ve tried a lot of luminizers over the years and the Bobbi Brown really is worth the splurge for me, but the new L’Oreal is a close second! Use a smaller amount of the L’Oreal than the Bobbi Brown, and that is one that you might want to mix into the regular BB Cream directly.
• Bobbi Brown CC Cream SPF 35 in Blushed Nude (buy it at Bobbi Brown, Sephora, or Nordstrom)
Powder is hard for me. I like very finely milled powder, which is difficult to find at a lower price point. Especially in a pressed powder form, which is my favorite. And is it just me, or does it feel like drugstore brand are constantly changing up their powder offerings? I find a good one, and when I try to repurchase, that powder is never available. It is always discontinued! I actually have 2 currently that I recommend, but you’d better snap them up fast! This must mean they’ll be off the market soon!
• Yves Saint Laurent Radiant Pressed Powder Compact (at Sephora, YSL Beauty or Nordstrom)
• Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Powder Foundation (buy it from Nordstrom, Sephora or Urban Decay)
• Cover FX Matte Setting Powder (at Sephora)
Since I’m obsessed with Revitalash, my lashes are very long. It actually makes mascara a little more difficult, some brushes simply push the lashes around, rather than depositing any mascara on the hair! Obviously that is less than ideal. I need a mascara with shorter bristles, either nylon or molded plastic, to really push the product onto my lashes. While I’ve been reaching for the Bobbi Brown most days, the L’Oreal is a great alternative!
• Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara (at Bobbi Brown or Nordstrom)
Drugstore brow products are really difficult I think. Most shades are either not really found in nature (and therefore shouldn’t be on your eyebrow), or they are much too harsh. I’ve only managed to get good, consistent results with the ELF eyebrow kit. Which also comes in a ton of shades, so there’s sure to be a match for you!
• MAC Brun Eye Shadow (at MAC or Nordstrom)
• e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit (at ELF)