Today for Makeup Wars, we’re tackling one of summer’s biggest hair woes, frizz! No one wants to have super frizzy hair. It’s something that some of us are more prone to than others, and I’m in the frizzy hair camp.
When my hair is frizzy, there are a few things that I do to de-frizz. The most important for me is hydrating my hair. My hair is always dry when it starts to frizz, regardless of how much humidity is out there. So, if you’re fighting the frizz, be sure to use an intensive hydrating treatment!
When my hair is dry and damaged, I definitely see an increase in frizz! I swap out my regular conditioner for a more intensive treatment, or if I really need to I’ll even grab an overnight treatment. When I’m having issues with frizz, a hydrating issue is the first product I reach for!
A few of my favorite super intensive treatments:
1. Darshana (from Darshana): You can read my Darshana Hair Oil Review, but this hair oil is amazing! It is very versatile. You can use it in your hair about 30 minutes before a shower or even apply it all over at night. It really hydrates your hair without weighing it down.
2. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle (from Drugstore.com): This is a quick and easy swap out for regular conditioner. Plus, you can’t beat the price!
3. Kerastase Nutrive Masque Oléo-Relax (from Kerastase): While I usually use the Chroma line from Kerastase (and I love both of those masques), I keep an “emergency” hair mask from the Nutrive line as well for when my hair is super dry and frizzy. To ensure that you get the most out of the mask, I towel dry my freshly shampooed hair first, apply the mask and put on a shower cap. I rinse it out after about 5-10 minutes. It can make anyone’s hair silky soft!
Dry It Right
A few little tweaks in how you dry your hair can actually make a big difference in your level of frizz! When drying your hair, if you think your hair is dry, keep drying it for a few more minutes. Usually it isn’t quite fully dry, and taking a few minutes to get rid of the last bit of moisture can really make a big difference when it comes to frizz.
4. DevaCurl DevaTowel (from Sephora): Instead of drying your hair with a regular towel, reach for microfiber (like this DevaTowel) or even just an old t-shirt. Don’t rub, instead just squeeze and blot your hair. You’ll rough up the cuticle of your hair less, so you’ll have shinier hair with less frizz!
5. Sam Villa Professional Ionic Blow Dryer (from ULTA): This is just the dryer that I’m currently using, but the key is the ionic feature. It really does cut down on frizz! You’ll find it at many price points, including the Conair Infiniti Pro Dryer (see my review, get it at ULTA) from $30, the Sephora Blast: Ceramic Ionic Blow Dryer ($80 at Sephora), all the way up to the $250 T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer (from Nordstrom).
Styling Products to Prevent Frizz
Finally, we get to the part that you really want to know. What products should you add in to your styling routine to fight frizz? There are a lot of great products out there, I’m including some of my faves here. I’m purposefully trying to hit every price point, but in reality, if there is Living Proof in the house, I will use that first. If I’m out, I reach for L’Oreal. Living Proof has ingredients you won’t find elsewhere, and it just works a bit better for frizz fighting. L’Oreal works really, really well and I do like it (and its price tag) a lot. But, I’m a bigger Living Proof Fan.
While Hair Is Wet:
6. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment (my Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Styling Treatment Review, But it at Sephora): This product has anti-frizz and volumizing ingredients from Living Proof
7. L’Oreal Advanced Hairstyle BLOW DRY IT Thermal Smoother Cream (at ULTA): Similar to the Living Proof, this cream is great for smoothing and preventing frizz.
While Styling Dry Hair:
8. Living Proof No Frizz Humidity Shield (at Sephora): You can spray it on over your styled hair and it keeps any and all possible humidity away. And you can’t feel it in your hair. Amazing!
9. Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray (at Sephora): This is the hairspray I use all summer long. It won’t budge even in mid-July Michigan humidity, spray it over styled hair and smooth everything briefly with your brush or a comb and it will keep frizz away.
10. L’Oreal Advanced Hairstyle LOCK IT Weather Control Hairspray (at ULTA): The L’Oreal version of the Living Proof hairspray. Yes, it does work, it just isn’t quite as touchable.
Great for Wet or Dry Hair:
11. L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Multi-Restorative Dry Oil (at Target): I like this on wet hair to smooth and prevent frizz, or on freshly styled hair to further finish the style.
12. Redken Diamond Oil (from ULTA): This is the most concentrated hair oil I’ve ever used. You only need a few drops (which means that bottle is enough for 2 lifetimes), and you need to use about half the amount on dry hair that you use on wet hair.
For more Frizzy Hair tips, you can check out Avoiding “The Monica”: How to Tame Frizzy Summer Hair and my fight the frizz series.