Blistex Intensive Hand Cream: Hiding in my White Coat Pocket

blistex intensive hand cream review

I’m pretty particular about hand creams, especially during the winter. My hands get dry, scaly and they just hurt. Throw in a few days at work into the mix (we use some pretty heavy duty hand soap in my ICU) and those scaly areas start to crack and if I’m really unlucky, they can even bleed.

Luckily, I can avoid a lot of this with a good hand lotion. I’ve been testing out a new one recently, and it is so good that the last few times I’ve had it with my at work (hiding out in the pocket of my white coat), I’ve had people coming up to me and requesting to use it. This is a bit unusual for me. We certainly all share our hand lotion, but people were hunting me down in the hallway for “some of that Blistex stuff.”

The lotion is relatively thick, and does feel a bit greasy when being applied. It sinks into my skin pretty quickly and I have to say that it does feel really good when it is sinking in to my skin. After a few minutes there is no residue left, just well moisturized skin. It was really heavy duty and it actually lasts through a few hand washings. At work. Yes, with our crazy ICU soap.

The best part? This stuff is really affordable. You can buy it at stores like WalMart for less than $3 a tube.

Blistex

1. TieDye64
    February 21, 2012 / 8:44 pm

I'm going to have to try this, esp. at that price. Winters are so very dry where I live and it's just brutal on my hands. Thanks for the review!

February 21, 2012 / 9:47 pm

I'm going to try this too. Have you tried Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair?

3. February 22, 2012 / 2:10 am

I haven't! I'll check that out.

4. February 24, 2012 / 3:50 pm

Chapped hands is an occupational hazard for us docs. I carry my hand cream in my lab coat pocket too because the trick it to use it right after washing so it's got to be convenient. It's also got to be non-greasy or else it's a mess during the work day. The soap we use, and how we use it are really important too. Here's my info on treating dry/chapped hands http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/dermatologists-tips-for-dry-chapped-painful-hand-skin/

5. February 27, 2012 / 3:52 pm

Whoa – thanks for the rec! I used to use (and loved) the Cetaphil theraputic hand cream, but it has largely disappeared from eveyr store in the universe, although the website still lists it.. It was heavy duty too, but soaked in much like this one, and lasted a while. I will definitely keep an eye out for this one – Need to find another one for the desk drawer!

Thanks again – been lurking and reading for ages, but thought I should post my thanks!

Kim šŸ™‚

June 23, 2013 / 5:08 pm

I love the hand cream Iam A CNA in home care taker and my hands get get so dry they crack open and blead and A few app and they are heald I useto get it at wal mart .they don't cary it any more where can I get it my email is mary poo15@gmail.com

October 7, 2013 / 1:17 pm

I have developed psoriasis recently. I went to a dermatologist and tried FIVE different prescription creams. They didn't do a thing except reduce some of the inflammation. I bought some of the Blistex cream. It works the best of all the non-RX creams and lotions I've tried! The only problem is – I used a whole tube and don't remember where I bought it. I checked my usual stores (Wal Mart and Walgreens) They don't have it and tell me they've never seen it there! What do I do now???

8. October 9, 2013 / 12:35 am

I'd probably look for it online, I haven't seen this in a store for a while. CVS also does tend to have more Blistex stuff, their LipMedix is a staple in my house and we can only get it at CVS.