Formal Looks: Nicole Kidman's Red Carpet Wavy Hair 2011Thursday, March 24, 2011
I think that Nicole Kidman is one of my all time favorites on the Red Carpet. You can pretty much always count on her to get it right and I love how much happier and more relaxed she looks with her husband.
This year in particular Nicole seemed more... approachable? I think that's the best way to describe it. Perhaps it is the new baby that is agreeing with her. That and the ability to move her forehead... Wait, that was snarky and I don't want to be snarky as I love her. The snarky is directed at Botox. I'm glad it is out of her system, she looks better now.
Regardless, I loved her long hair down and wavy at the Golden Globes and Independent Spirit Awards this year. She worked with Celebrity Hairstylist David Babaii for all of her Red Carpet looks this year. I'll be sharing some of her updos in later posts, but today I thought we'd look at the two events where he left her hair down.
Read on for pics and his input on how to recreate this at home.
For this look, David Babaii wanted a 70's feel.
• He applied a small amount Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment to her damp hair.
• Next, hair was dried straight, but he wanted to keep volume. David created a full side part and sectioned the hair for control. His favorite method is to divide the head into 4 sections (top, sides, back leaving the nape area your starting point). Using a blow dryer by IT&LY HAIRFASHION and a medium round brush he dried the hair.
• After drying each section straight, he applied an additional amount of Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment to the lower portion of her hair. He divided the strands into 6 large sections and wrapping each one around a round brush. Each section was given a blast of hot air to create the curl followed by a shot of cool air to set the curl in place. Gently he released the curl creating soft defined waves.
Independent Spirit Awards
For this awards show, David was aiming for "Beach Romantic".
• After washing and gently towel drying, apply Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment to nourish and protect the hair against thermal styling.
• Divide hair into 4 parts: top, sides and back leaving the nape area free. Depending on the size of the wave or curl you desire, wrap the bottom half of the section around 1-3 fingers creating a large pin-curl type curl.
• Using the IT&LY HAIRFASHION Digital Styling Iron, take the open flat iron and carefully place the curl inside and clamp down, holding for 10-15 seconds. Repeat if the curl is large or hair is thick so you have covered the entire diameter of the curl. Clip the curl and proceed to the next.
• After completing the entire head, remove the clips and allow the curls to relax and fall naturally into place. Apply additional Pequi Oil to your hands and use your fingers to brush waves into place.