- About Me
- Contact Me
- Copyright Info
- About The Site
- Special Series
- Quick Looks
- Mommy Beauty
- My Favorites
- Favorites of Beauty Experts
- Anti-Aging 101
- Concealer Review Series
- Sunscreen 101
- Manicure 101
- Beauty Posts by Topic
- Skin Care
- Blog Roll
Monday, February 14, 2011
An Eye Shadow Primer Confession
In the past, my holy grail eye shadow primer has always been Urban Decay's Primer Potion. In the past I've made half hearted attempts to find something better, cheaper, with packaging that doesn't waste most of the product... (Yes, UDPP is now available in a tube. Note that tube is huge and I have 3 backup wands in my stash right now. Yes, there was a good sale on-line for $4 each, don't look at me like that.)
Anyways, recently I decided to try out a few other shadow primers. NARS and Too Faced aren't exactly mass market brands (you'll still need to travel to Sephora or ULTA to pick these up), but they are different options. While each of these products is a little bit different, I am right now fully admitting that I can not tell them apart in terms of applying eye shadow over them and the subsequent wear time and quality. I've spent about 6 weeks trying one and then the other, wearing Too Faced on my left eye for a week while NARS was on my right...
• All three are easy to blend onto my eyelid
• All three make eye shadows a little easier to blend on the lid
• All three extend shadow wear, all to the same extent
• All three resulted in shadows that behaved the same throughout the day, meaning if a shadow was going to fade or crease it did so equally with each of the primers
• Too Faced comes in a squeeze tube at the "normal" size
• Too Faced and UDPP both are usually a light "nude" color (at least for this pale white girl) and blend easily into my skin. Both come in other shades if you are interested in that.
• NARS comes only in white, though it seems to transition to clear because I can not see it on my skin.
So... I guess I now have not one but three holy grail eye shadow primers?
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Shadow Insurance came as a sample from Sephora, I bought both the NARS and Urban Decay products.