Right Up My Alley: 5 Minutes to Gorgeous Kit!Wednesday, June 23, 2010
I am not a morning person. I will sleep until the last possible minute, and then rush around trying to leave the house on time for work (15 minutes from hair dry to out the door, hence the name of this blog). So, you know when I hear about a product called the 5 Minutes to Gorgeous Kit that I'm going to pounce all over it!
So, what exactly is this? It's a cute little paisley bag filled with products designed to make it fast and easy to get ready.
• Concealer/Foundation: Baby Face, Almond Joy, Cafe’ Ole, Sweet Cocoa
• Blush/Bronzer with mini Kabuki 1 of 3 different tones: Absolutely Peachy, Sassy, Happy Trails Bronzer.
• EyeBling Trio with brush: liner , brow, and shadow all in one!
• Mascara in Black
• WhipStick lip gloss in a Lush, SkinnyDip or Lush.
So, how did the products work?
• Concealer/Foundation: This is meant to be a dual action product, basically use it as a decently pigmented (though not heavily pigmented) concealer, or all over as a medium-full coverage foundation. I found that it covered everything including my undereye circles well. The only exception was the pesky visible vessel under my right eye, but to be honest I have to use a very pigmented concealer to cover that well, so I didn't expect this product to touch that baby. It blended well and didn't feel heavy as a concealer, though I do think it would as a foundation. It lasted most of the day and there was no caking or other issues. A winner!
• Blush/Bronzer with mini Kabuki: I tried out the Absolutely Peachy shade, which was a light peach shade (just like it sounds, duh). I wasn't sure that this shade would work well for me, but it really did. It is well pigmented, but not so much that you can't blend it easily and have the blush look great. The peach brightened my face without screaming "peach blush!" and I loved that. The blush is a little more "powdery" than I usually like when running a brush across it, but this didn't seem to impact application at all. The mini Kabuki was a good size to use to apply blush or bronzer and is insanely soft.
• EyeBling Trio with brush: This eye shadow is meant to multi-task as an eyeliner and a brow filler. It comes in Slate, a dark gray color with a bit of a dark mushroom brown in it. Obviously unless you have very dark eye brows you should not be using this to fill them in. As a shadow I thought it was great. I was worried that it would be too dark, but the shadow is not super pigmented, so it blends well and gave me a great smokey eye. It paired well with itself as a liner (I didn't like the liner brush they supplied, it was too flimsy for me, you might want to try your own), and I had a great smokey eye literally in 2 minutes!
• Mascara in Black: I should have taken so pictures of my lashes with this one. It does a great job of lengthening and keeping lashes separated. My lashes stayed curled all day and there was no flaking for smudging (unless I rubbed my eyes at all, this mascara does not hold up well to that, so hands off!). It washed off super easily.
• WhipStick lip gloss: I tried out Skinny Dip, a light pinkish nude shade that looked great. It looked light and fresh without washing me out. The gloss does taste a bit like "makeup" for a few minutes, and it is just a little sticky. But, it did last for several hours.
True, you could create your own little kit like this. But the shades of makeup that come with this all seem pretty universally flattering, and they do take the work out of picking things out. This would be perfect for a gym bag (or an on-call bag for those medical students/residents out there, **hint, hint**), or as a gift for someone else.