Yigal Azrouël Spring 2010 LookTuesday, September 22, 2009
For spring 2010 Yigal Azrouël created a very deconstructed, feminine look (if you're not sure what I mean, check out the collection). To complement the look the Aveda team created a edgy knot of hair and Bobbi Brown (love her!) created the perfect complexion and a smudged smokey eye that balances the look perfectly. Overall it's a great look!
Read on to see how they did it. Also, notice Bobbi's nail polish. It looks amazing, I'm going to have to figure out what color that is.
Skin: Perfect glowy skin was created with Hydrating Face Cream ($50), Hydrating Eye Cream ($45), Foundation Stick ($40), Creamy Concealer ($22), Corrector ($22)
Eyes: Charcoal Eye Shadow ($20) smudged out and applied to lower lash line; Extreme Party Mascara ($22) applied to top and bottom lashes
Lips: Touch of Lip Balm SPF 15 ($17)
Brows: Clear Natural Brow Shaper ($19)
Antoinette Beenders (Vice President Global Creative Director for Aveda) created the hair for this show. She went for an edgy look with tousled volume and some areas slicked back and then a messy knot at the nape of the neck. It looks like it was pulled back when hair was still wet after a shower or swimming.
You can check out this show backstage over on You Tube.
• Dampen hair with water and brush through.
• Divide hair into four sections: the bottom hangs loose, side sections along the parietal ridge (from ear to ear) are each pulled back with clips, and the top/front of hair is clipped into a loose bun.
• Spritz the bottom section of hair with water, keeping ends dry. Massage a generous amount of Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme into wet half of hair to add texture, light hold, and minimize flyaways. Layer Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade over the Light Elements Texturizing Creme for shine and moisture. Comb hair through, leaving ends dry, and tie into a clean, tight ponytail with a bungee elastic.
• Divide the ponytail into small sections and straighten each piece using a flat-iron, from elastic to ends. Once each piece is straightened, run the flat-iron through the entire ponytail to create a perfectly straight, sleek edge.
• Repeat the above steps with side sections of hair. Layer Aveda Light Elements Texturing Creme and Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade on the top half of hair, leaving ends dry. Slick sides back tightly, criss-crossing the right section of hair over the existing ponytail and wrapping it under the elastic string. Wrap the left section of hair over the elastic, so that the string is no longer visible.
• Secure a clear elastic band over the entire section to form a larger ponytail. Iron new pieces for a straight, sleek pony.
• Remove top section of hair from clip. Spritz with water, leaving ends dry, and rake hair back with Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme and Aveda Brilliant™ Humectant Pomade. Hair is damp, rough and textured.
• Pull all hair back, including top section, into one ponytail. Secure together with a clear elastic through. Straighten new pieces of ponytail with a flat-iron so that the entire pony is stick-straight.
• Wrap a final clear elastic around the ponytail and pull hair halfway through into a loose chignon. Leave pieces of hair astray to add rough texture, creating a punk-rock, edgy look.
• Finish by smoothing flyways above the elastic with Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme and misting slicked back sides with water.
Photos: Jon Gurinsky, courtesy of Aveda