Recently I was given the opportunity to review Merlot Skincare's products. I had never heard of the company, but I knew that Grapes and Grape Seeds are meant to be healthy for you and that antioxidants were involved. So, I saw this as a great excuse to not only try a new product, but to finally review what antioxidants are and how they work.
Now, if you've read the review I did on antioxidants the other day in preparation for this review, you'll know that you are NOT likely to see fast (meaning 1-2 weeks) results from antioxidants, even from the most proven one, Vitamin A and it's derivatives known as Retinoids. You also know that I'm not sure that you will be able to see fast results, but that it certainly won't hurt you to use an antioxidant everyday. I think that in 10 years you will be glad you did. Even though there is not much evidence for topical use of grape related antioxidants, there is a lot of evidence for them as very powerful antioxidants overall, and that is enough for me!
Having said all of that preamble, I did enjoy trying out these products. While I know that it can't have been the antioxidants that I saw making a difference, I did feel "glowy" while using these products! I also love that these products are pretty affordable and in large sizes. While they aren't likely to be in your local Target, you can buy them easily on-line. What more could a girl ask for?
Merlot Skin Care Grape Seed Moisturizer
This lotion is purple. Really, it is. But, have no fear, because you can't tell once it's in your skin! It smells very faintly of grapes (all of the products do actually, I really like this feature), and it both looks like and has the texture of blueberry yogurt! It sinks into the skin immediately, feels silky and I swear it really did make my skin glow (rather than look like an oil slick). This is a surprisingly light moisturizer, and I think it would be well suited for most skin types.
Notice that little jar on top of the big jar.... It really does come that way. I have a little travel size of my own now too!
Ingredients (for help, refer to the moisturizer post for help):
• Grape Seed Polyphenols (This is the first company that I have seen do this, their big active ingredient is #2 on the list!)
• Propylene Glycol (humectant)
• Petrolatum (occlusive)
• Dimethicone (occlusive)
• Chamomile extract, Cetyl alcohol, glyceryl monostearate, stearic acid, phenoxythanol, triethanolamine, carbomer 940, comfrey extract, aloe vera and zinc oxide
Merlot's Moonlight Radiance Night Cream is actually pretty different from their regular moisturizer. This cream is white (instead of light purple) and smells less like grapes. It is a little bit thicker too. However, once applied it also feels silky and absorbs very easily into your skin! I did think that the night cream was a heavier moisturizer than the regular moisturizer.
A look at the ingredients in this cream tells us why it is different:
• Squalene (occlusive)
• Cetyl Alcohol (thickening agent)
• Polyacrlamide (a gel, my husband uses this in his lab to help separate proteins using gel electrophoresis... likely used here as a base or thickening agent for the lotion is my best guess)
• C13-14 Isoparaffin (emulsifier)
• Laureth-7 (emulsifier)
• Glyceryl Stearate (emollient)
• Peg-100 Stearate (emollient)
• Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Acetyl Hexapeptide-3 (Argireline), Palmitoyl Pentapeptide (Matrixyl 3000), glycerine, Propylene glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Phenoxyethanol, Grapeseed Extract, Avacado Oil, Grapefruit Mask
In comparing the two lotions you can see that their bases and makeups are completely different. Also notice that although the grapeseeds are lower on the night cream (which is probably just fine, we don't know how much you need to work), but notice that peptides are also included in the night formulation.
Don't forget anti-aging for your hands! That is one of the first locations that your age will "show." The final product I tried was the Merlot Skin Care Hand Cream.
Honestly, I was disappointed in this as an everyday hand cream for me. Please keep in mind that I'm an obsessive hand washer, both at work (where I wash with surgical scrub people!) and at home (Soft Soap and Williams-Sonoma). It sinks in well, feels silky and hydrating, but was not able to survive even a single hand washing. No handwashing, ok; hand washing, dry hands. Well, I got around this issue by having this lotion take up residence in my nightstand! I love this lotion right before I go to bed. It is more than hydrating enough for me to use it right before bed, and then I get the added benefits of the grape seeds.
• Soybean Oil (occlusive)
• Glycerine (humectant)
• PPG-2 Myristrl Ether Propionate (emollient)
• Stearic Acid (emollient)
• Ceteryl Alcohol (emulsifier)
• Ceteareth 20, Aloe Vera, Corn Starch, Propylene Glycl, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Chamomile extract, Comfrey Extract, Dimethicone Copooyol, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Grape Seed Polyphenols, EDTA, Triclosan, Zinc Oxide, Grape Seed mask, D&C #33, FD&C Blue #1