This is a fabulous mascara. It is. I picked this up at ULTA a few weeks ago, thinking I wanted to try a non-2 step mascara (which would be easier than my favorite mascara, L'Oréal's Volume Shocking Mascara), and knowing how great pretty much all L'Oréal mascaras are, I decided to go out of the box and try a colored mascara. I picked a black-bronze shade.
This mascara was fantastic. Not quite "Holy Grail" status (It didn't give me near falsie lashes like my Volume Shocking), but it is definitely a mascara that I will purchase again, which I almost never do.
Here are the "Holy Grail" Mascara Criteria:
1. I want to look *almost* like I have on false eyelashes, but not quite. I want it all, length, fullness and I want my mascara to help my lashes hold the curl I put there.
This mascara definitely made my lashes look longer, and at the end of a 14 hour work day, my lashes were still long and well curled. They did have an increase in volume, but not as much as I expected.
2. I want my mascara to be easy to remove. I only wear waterproof mascara when I'm either swimming or going to a wedding. The rest of the time, I want to be able to remove my mascara easily with eye makeup remover in 1-2 swipes, I should not be waking up with smudges under my eyes still.
This is easily removed with my Almay eye makeup remover and my Boots Makeup Remover very easily. There is no residual left behind, no smudging on my pillowcase or under my eyes in the morning.
3. The mascara should not be flaky. At 4 pm I shouldn't look like I have big black mascara swipes in my circles, I have enough issues with darkness there.
The mascara was on my lashes, right where it should be!
4. It should be easy to apply (ie- not require many steps).
Definitely one step up from my Volume Shocking. The spiral wand really helps to ease application, making it fast and easy to get great lashes!
5. It should be cheap and from the drugstore. I replace my mascara every 1-2 months (I'm a bit of a germ freak) and I don't want to spend $25 on a new tube, and I don't have time for a run to Sephora just for a new mascara.
This is very reasonably priced, but not carried by every Target or CVS that has L'Oréal, so it might be a bit hard to find.
6. It shouldn't be clumpy. Poor Tammy Faye is dead, but I don't need to look like her.
This formula is not clumpy, and although I've had my wire lash brush at the ready, it's not needed with this mascara.
One last little note- I bought the Bronze Black shade, which looked like a bronze/brown on the wand, but once on wasn't much different than a normal brown/black mascara. I was happy with this look, but if you wanted something very different from the norm, I would pick a different color.